Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Study.com Psych Courses
I just looked today and Psych 311: Physiological Psychology and Social Science 108: Ethics in the Social Sciences are both available for credit on Study.com now. 

I hope TESU will give UL credit for them, although I am not holding my breath.  They don't have a project listed as part of the courses and neither is listed on ACE or NCCRS, yet.  My subscription runs out on April 20, so I'm going to scramble and get them done anyway.

Oh, how I wish it would work!  Those are my last two courses for my BA.  I'm working on the capstone now.  It would be terrific to get the last ones done cheaply at Study.com

Leah
Study.com does their courses based on the numbering system. So the Psych 311 is shooting for an UL recommendation, while the SocSci 108 is not (meaning they aren't even going to try to get that in as an UL course).

The good news is that even though it's not going to be UL, it is not a requirement that that particular course is required to be UL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-08-2018, 03:52 PM)nashpond Wrote: I just looked today and Psych 311: Physiological Psychology and Social Science 108: Ethics in the Social Sciences are both available for credit on Study.com now. 

I hope TESU will give UL credit for them, although I am not holding my breath.  They don't have a project listed as part of the courses and neither is listed on ACE or NCCRS, yet.  My subscription runs out on April 20, so I'm going to scramble and get them done anyway.

Oh, how I wish it would work!  Those are my last two courses for my BA.  I'm working on the capstone now.  It would be terrific to get the last ones done cheaply at Study.com

Leah

I saw them as well but didn't see them on ACE or NCCRS so I have them listed on my spreadsheet as pending. I assume that means they are approved but just pending an update to the websites to show the listing. Though I have several other courses on my list that are in the same state and have been for a couple months now. Until they are officially listed, I'm keeping them in non-credit bearing, pending approval category. Hopefully, we'll see a bunch of newly approved courses appear shortly.

Since they listed as 300-level courses, Study.com intends them to be UL and is expecting an UL evaluation from ACE and/or NCCRS. If they get an UL eval, it is likely that TESU will honor it. If they don't get that, it is possible that Study.com will pull them down and make changes to get approved as UL. (This appears to be what is going on with some of the other courses that were on my "coming soon" list but then disappeared.)

As for taking them now, personally I'd wait until they officially appear on ACE or NCCRS. If a course is completed before credit recommendation is approved, it will not be accepted for credit. (Same as taking a course after it's approval has expired.) Since they are listed as credit-bearing on the Study.com website now, one can assume they have been approved and we are just pending the website update but the Study.com website doesn't list who has approved them either. So, I'd wait to be safe since I hate wasting my time and exam slots. Of course, you can always start the courses and wait to take the final exam until the ACE/NCCRS website is updated. At that point, you'd just risk losing the time that could have been spent working on courses you know have already been approved, rather than the time and exam slots.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(04-08-2018, 05:42 PM)Merlin Wrote: I saw them as well but didn't see them on ACE or NCCRS so I have them listed on my spreadsheet as pending. I assume that means they are approved but just pending an update to the websites to show the listing. Though I have several other courses on my list that are in the same state and have been for a couple months now. Until they are officially listed, I'm keeping them in non-credit bearing, pending approval category. Hopefully, we'll see a bunch of newly approved courses appear shortly.

Since they listed as 300-level courses, Study.com intends them to be UL and is expecting an UL evaluation from ACE and/or NCCRS. If they get an UL eval, it is likely that TESU will honor it. If they don't get that, it is possible that Study.com will pull them down and make changes to get approved as UL. (This appears to be what is going on with some of the other courses that were on my "coming soon" list but then disappeared.)

First, they are not both 300-level courses - only one is.

Second, I had not seen Study.com "pull down" any courses that came in as LL and then re-released them as UL.  Instead, from what I have seen, they release the courses, and then the 300-level courses that don't get UL recommendation have been revamped and then there seems to be a seamless transition to the new course once the new recommendation has come in.

I could be wrong, but I just haven't seen Study.com release a course and then take it away.

Also, sometimes they SAY they're planning on releasing a new course soon, and then it takes longer than we thing for it to come out - but that's completely different than the release - "pull down" - release again scenario (again, that I've never seen happen).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-08-2018, 05:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 05:42 PM)Merlin Wrote: I saw them as well but didn't see them on ACE or NCCRS so I have them listed on my spreadsheet as pending. I assume that means they are approved but just pending an update to the websites to show the listing. Though I have several other courses on my list that are in the same state and have been for a couple months now. Until they are officially listed, I'm keeping them in non-credit bearing, pending approval category. Hopefully, we'll see a bunch of newly approved courses appear shortly.

First, they are not both 300-level courses - only one is.

Second, I had not seen Study.com "pull down" any courses that came in as LL and then re-released them as UL.  Instead, from what I have seen, they release the courses, and then the 300-level courses that don't get UL recommendation have been revamped and then there seems to be a seamless transition to the new course once the new recommendation has come in.

I could be wrong, but I just haven't seen Study.com release a course and then take it away.

Also, sometimes they SAY they're planning on releasing a new course soon, and then it takes longer than we thing for it to come out - but that's completely different than the release - "pull down" - release again scenario (again, that I've never seen happen).

Sorry, I didn't intend to imply both were UL. I was obviously referring to the Psych 311 course. Not sure why you made a big deal about it though.

As for "pulling down" courses, I am talking about courses that were "coming soon" for credit but are still not credit-bearing. There are a few UL courses that were mentioned in February (like Strategic Decision Making, Management Ethics, and Advanced International Business) which still have yet to get approval for credit. Maybe they never will. Other courses that were listed at around same time (like Sociology of Work) just recently got their NCCRS recommendation so it feels like these others were about to be offered but then "pulled down" to non-credit bearing (so they can be revamped for UL credit maybe I don't know). Maybe its the nomenclature which is causing the contention. I can't really say delisted, as they are still shown on the site. It is just an observation anyway.

In any case, since there is no ACE or NCCRS listing yet, I'm just recommending caution until the courses are official. But then again, maybe I'm just a bit more risk-averse than most.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
As others have said, be careful about completing the courses until you have confirmation of their approval dates. I had a couple of Microsoft exams fall just outside of the approval ranges and TESU wouldn't accept them.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
[-] The following 1 user Likes ajs1976a's post:
  • Yenisei
(04-08-2018, 06:26 PM)Merlin Wrote: Sorry, I didn't intend to imply both were UL. I was obviously referring to the Psych 311 course. Not sure why you made a big deal about it though.

As for "pulling down" courses, I am talking about courses that were "coming soon" for credit but are still not credit-bearing. There are a few UL courses that were mentioned in February (like Strategic Decision Making, Management Ethics, and Advanced International Business) which still have yet to get approval for credit. Maybe they never will. Other courses that were listed at around same time (like Sociology of Work) just recently got their NCCRS recommendation so it feels like these others were about to be offered but then "pulled down" to non-credit bearing (so they can be revamped for UL credit maybe I don't know). Maybe its the nomenclature which is causing the contention. I can't really say delisted, as they are still shown on the site. It is just an observation anyway.

In any case, since there is no ACE or NCCRS listing yet, I'm just recommending caution until the courses are official. But then again, maybe I'm just a bit more risk-averse than most.

I wasn't trying to make a big deal, I was just trying to correct some info.

Yes, I agree that I would wait to see them on the ACE/NCCRS site before taking the leap.
Since Sociology 108 (Ethics in the Social Sciences) is also one of the last classes I'll need to graduate, and it certainly seems like SDC created that course with the TESU equivalent in mind, and since I seem to have a responsive Advisor who seems to know what he's talking about, I'll do my best to get a query in to him this week to see if Ethics in the Social Sciences is "ready to go" as a course equivalent, and I'll report back with what I find out.

(When I last spoke with him, he was clearly looking at something different than the public-facing ACE and NCCRS websites, as the eligible course dates he was referencing didn't match either site. So that makes me think they might actually be ahead of what we know from an approval standpoint.)
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • Yenisei
(04-09-2018, 06:36 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Since Sociology 108 (Ethics in the Social Sciences) is also one of the last classes I'll need to graduate, and it certainly seems like SDC created that course with the TESU equivalent in mind, and since I seem to have a responsive Advisor who seems to know what he's talking about, I'll do my best to get a query in to him this week to see if Ethics in the Social Sciences is "ready to go" as a course equivalent, and I'll report back with what I find out.

(When I last spoke with him, he was clearly looking at something different than the public-facing ACE and NCCRS websites, as the eligible course dates he was referencing didn't match either site. So that makes me think they might actually be ahead of what we know from an approval standpoint.)

The problem is that if TESU has not done an evaluation of the course, it's impossible for your advisor to really tell you much.  But you can request it anyway, and hope that they do one because you asked.  But many times, the advisors get confused, tell someone that the course will NOT work (because it's not on the TESU equivalency form on Study.com's website), and be completely wrong.  Just because a course hasn't been evaluated yet doesn't mean that it won't work.  There are ALWAYS going to be courses that haven't been evaluated yet, both from Study.com and everywhere else you could possibly take courses - TESU will always be behind the curve ball because that's the nature of the beast.

I would probably take a chance, once it comes up on the ACE website.  The people who actually do the evals at TESU are better versed on this, and will probably just do a quick eval and put it in your degree plan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Nodaclu
(04-09-2018, 07:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would probably take a chance, once it comes up on the ACE website.  The people who actually do the evals at TESU are better versed on this, and will probably just do a quick eval and put it in your degree plan.

Just spotted it on the ACE website this morning. I think I'm going to take it, see how they evaluate it, and put off the TESU version until the last possible moment next month before the SDC discount goes away.

It's a win-win situation for me. I have one extra Study.com class I can take that's already paid for, so it will cost me nothing to try. Even if they refuse it, I'll probably be a step ahead of the game when it comes time to take the TESU version!  Big Grin

I'll report back either way with the results once I have them.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 2 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • studiousimp, Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 390 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,382 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,493 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,779 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,807 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 613 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 547 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 328 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat