Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"New" TESC GPA policy starting July 2011
I can't believe they didn't include them before! I think it is good that they made this move, it will lend to their credibility. People who get your transcript deserve to know if you failed a class at TESC, and it should certainly factor into GPA (it is ludicrous not to!)
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
dcan Wrote:Thanks for the clarification. So, just to be sure I understand, I could take a course through TESC, go all the way through to the end, drop before the last day, receive an I/IF, and it would not affect the GPA that would be reported when I apply to a grad school? That's my concern.

I really don't expect to fail any courses at all. I just want to be sure I understand the policy. Thanks!

Correct, W, I/IF do not affect GPA.

From day 8 through the last day of semester if you submit a withdrawal form you will receive a "W".
If you do not do any work but forget to drop you recieve an "I or IF",
if you hand in work but forget to drop you are in danger or receiving an F if you do not contact your instructor. You can apply for extensions up until the day before semester ends as long as you have completed 50% of course work.

I hope you understand the point I am trying to make. There is no reason why you should receive a F grade. If you are tracking your grades and are doing poorly by midterm, either plan on an extension to give yourself more time to study, get a tutor, or drop the course and take it at a local cc.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
PonyGirl93 Wrote:I can't believe they didn't include them before! I think it is good that they made this move, it will lend to their credibility. People who get your transcript deserve to know if you failed a class at TESC, and it should certainly factor into GPA (it is ludicrous not to!)

This is not what I said, I am referring to I, IF or Ws not being included in gpa or previously noted on the transcript. They are not failing grades they are incomplete or withdrawal.

I think I've exhausted this topic. Please see the links dcan provided and or refer to College-Wide Policies - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢ for further explanation.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
dcan Wrote:Thanks for the clarification. So, just to be sure I understand, I could take a course through TESC, go all the way through to the end, drop before the last day, receive an I/IF, and it would not affect the GPA that would be reported when I apply to a grad school? That's my concern.

I really don't expect to fail any courses at all. I just want to be sure I understand the policy. Thanks!

Hooooollllllldddddd on. You guys have to understand that GRAD SCHOOLS CALCULATE their own GPA for you- they don't/won't care what TESC writes on your transcript. I assure you that some schools absolutely WILL include that in your GPA. If you were premed, prepharm, or prelaw, I assure you every W counts against you. As to the non-professional degrees I can't say for sure- probably NOT an issue.
At our schools in NC WF's do count towards your final GPA. They count the same as F's in the GPA calculations. Our I's have to be completed within 1 term or they will become an F, unless the student completed enough of the work with good grades and qualifies for a higher grade. If a student retakes the course for a higher grade they can petition their advisor to have the low grade removed.

As Jennifer pointed out any other school will apply their own GPA calculation policy in figuring your grade. While TESC may ignore these grades don't count on other schools doing the same. Bad grades can have a way to resurface unless you get them officially removed.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2018 current fees at the Big 3 dfrecore 70 12,904 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Last Post: KawJa
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,969 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018 stampbuyme 61 11,565 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,445 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,184 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Just starting I need help tobyisking 19 3,362 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,982 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,337 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,762 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138