Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies
(01-25-2018, 07:57 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: Does the Shmoop Professional Writing count for TESU's Written Communication under Intellectual and Practical Skills?

Nope - English I & II only.

EDIT: I just looked, and it now shows Technical Writing as an option to fulfill the Written Comm requirement, which is new.  So, I think it may be a possibilty now to take English Comp I & Tech Writing.  COSC had that as an option as well.

(01-25-2018, 07:00 PM)allvia Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 11:39 AM)allvia Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 11:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 10:37 AM)allvia Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 10:32 AM)badooble Wrote: "I can also share information about some of the new Shmoop course, including another very pleasant surprise.  The Shmoop Professional Writing course came in as upper level!  I found this to be a pretty easy course – and trust me, I struggled a bit with a few of the Shmoop courses.  It’s listed as “ENG-306 Inter. Tech. Wrtg. & Prof. Wt.”

Some others I don’t remember seeing anyone else post transfer results on yet:

• Shmoop Professional Writing:  ENG-306 Inter. Tech. Wrtg. & Prof. Wt."

If Shmoop Professional Writing is coming in as ENG-306 Inter. Tech. Wrtg. & Prof. Wt. will this cover the Information Literacy requirement at TESU?  I recall seeing here on the forum that Technical Writing would meet that requirement.

It used to work, but they removed the course from their list and it no longer does.

The most common courses for this are A&I Lit (Study.com and CLEP) or World Religions (study.com, SL, DSST)

Well that explains why my World Religions was placed in the Information Literacy, vs Diversity where I had expected it.  Does Shmoop offer anything that would fit into the Diversity Intercultural Literacy slot?

I did a little research on my own questions and Shmoop does offer World Geography, so that fits the requirement as it is a direct course match from the TESU list.  They also offer Modern European History, Comparative Government and Politics, and The Bible as Literature which might - any thoughts? I'm tighter on money than time right now, and need some gen eds (6 credits) and to fill the Diversity requirement as well. I've battled through Shmoop for a course once, so I know how awkward it can be.

I'm not sure what your degree is, but I have a BALS using Shmoop for the majority of the courses.  You can use up to 90cr through a single source.  For someone on a tight budget, Shmoop is a good option.

You can use World Religions in Info Lit or Diversity.  If you use it in Info Lit, and then want to take a Shmoop course, you can use World Geography as you thought.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • MSK9
I sent an email about the Shmoop Professional Writing meeting one of my Written Communications required courses, and was told no, but the answer was a little ambiguous.  The reviewer said it was meeting an AOS requirement and was 'in the right place' so you may be able to get it accepted with a little persuasion.  I didn't want to rock the boat since it's coming in as upper level in my AOS at the moment.

I just finished the ModernStates.org Composition prep course and got my free voucher for that.  Taking it on the 12th of next month, and that will meet both written comm requirements, as I understand it (assuming I pass).  

ModernStates.org is a great nonprofit, and I almost feel guilty asking for a free voucher, knowing others probably need it more. But they seem to be eager help everyone, regardless of income.  I won't bother asking for reimbursement of the $20 test center fee; I can eat that and assuage my middle class guilt a bit.   Blush

I don't know what it will come in as at TESU, but I did Shmoop's Intro to E-commerce in a few hours yesterday.  Very easy to 'test out of' without much reading, if you're already a little familiar with the covered topics.
TESU: BALS Capstone
SNHU CfA: Intro to Ethics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Argumentation & Communication, Intro to Mass Communications, Intro to Philosophy, World Lit I, Environmental Science, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Online Success, Skills for Business 
CLEP: Eng Comp 
Sophia.org: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict, Ancient Greek Philosophers
Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Info Literacy, Intro to Computing, Earth Science, A History of Vietnam War, Intro to Political Science, American Government, Database Management, Info Systems, Physical Geology
CSM Learn: The CSM Course
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 
Shmoop: History of Technology, Human Sexuality, U.S. History I & II, Classical Lit, The Bible as Lit, Psychology 101, Shakespeare's Plays, Professional Writing, Media Literacy, Journalism 101, Lit in the Media, Intro to E-Commerce
The Institutes: Ethics
TECEP: Computer Concepts and Applications
ALEKS: College Algebra
(01-26-2018, 12:42 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 07:57 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: Does the Shmoop Professional Writing count for TESU's Written Communication under Intellectual and Practical Skills?

Nope - English I & II only.

EDIT: I just looked, and it now shows Technical Writing as an option to fulfill the Written Comm requirement, which is new.  So, I think it may be a possibility now to take English Comp I & Tech Writing.  COSC had that as an option as well.

I will likely take it next month and see.  I am stilling missing my English Comp II. 
Also, I have just added a signature showing what degree I'm working on (now that I have finally decided the where and for what!)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • badooble, davewill
I am curious about using Tech Writing instead of English Comp II at TESU. Where can I find a link to that? Also, do you mean the TECEP Tech writing or could study.com Advanced Tech writing possibly work for that?
The TECEP is: https://www2.tesc.edu/tecep_desc/ENG-201.pdf

I'm not sure but someone was told Study.com's was downgraded to LL, if that matters to you. Probably not Smile

LL vs. UL doesn't matter, I just wondered if it could be used for the composition requirement. Thanks for the heads up though.
(01-27-2018, 12:58 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: LL vs. UL doesn't matter, I just wondered if it could be used for the composition requirement. Thanks for the heads up though.

The TECEP and Study.com course both come in the same: ENG-201
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Lightbulb 
I have been lurking on this forum for a few months now and I have received so much information.  Now I am at a point where I could use some help.  TESU has evaluated my transcripts from CCAF and various other colleges.  My issue is that I would like to know if there are economical methods to obtain credits for the following so that I can complete a BSBA in Gen Mgmt at TESU.  I have taken several courses through Straighterline, but I have not tried any other alternative means.  I am less than hours away.  SL=Straighterline

1. Information Literacy (3 hrs)
  2. Civic Engagement (3 hrs)
  3. BUS 210 or STA 201 Mathematics Principles of Stats - SL?
  4. TES 100
  5. Financial Accounting - SL?
  6. Business Law LAW 201 - SL?
  7. Principles of Finance FIN-301
  8. Principles of Management MAN 301 - SL?
  9. Introduction to Marketing MAR-301
  10. International Mgmt/Bus Society/Int Marketing/Int Business
  11. Managerial Communications MAN-373
  12. Acct/Finance/Mgmt/Marketing Upper Level 300+
  13. Acct/Finance/Mgmt/Marketing Lower Level
  14. CAPSTONE
BA Liberal Studies, 2018 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
ASNSM, Computer Science, 2018 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AS General Studies, 2016, Northwestern State University, LA
(01-27-2018, 04:42 PM)omuneek Wrote: I have been lurking on this forum for a few months now and I have received so much information.  Now I am at a point where I could use some help.  TESU has evaluated my transcripts from CCAF and various other colleges.  My issue is that I would like to know if there are economical methods to obtain credits for the following so that I can complete a BSBA in Gen Mgmt at TESU.  I have taken several courses through Straighterline, but I have not tried any other alternative means.  I am less than hours away.  SL=Straighterline

1. Information Literacy (3 hrs)
  2. Civic Engagement (3 hrs)
  3. BUS 210 or STA 201 Mathematics Principles of Stats - SL?
  4. TES 100
  5. Financial Accounting - SL?
  6. Business Law LAW 201 - SL?
  7. Principles of Finance FIN-301
  8. Principles of Management MAN 301 - SL?
  9. Introduction to Marketing MAR-301
  10. International Mgmt/Bus Society/Int Marketing/Int Business
  11. Managerial Communications MAN-373
  12. Acct/Finance/Mgmt/Marketing Upper Level 300+
  13. Acct/Finance/Mgmt/Marketing Lower Level
  14. CAPSTONE

I’d suggest starting a new thread. Your question will get lost in this one. Smile
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Allvia- please keep us posted. My son would much prefer a technical writing instead of a traditional English Comp II course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,319 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore