Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New UL Math courses at Coopermsith
(07-23-2019, 07:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 02:54 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 01:11 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 10:58 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, that means that we are only two classes away from having a fully test-friendly BA in Math. We're still missing Calc 3 and one additional upper-level (assuming that Calc 3 is upper level, as it is at TESU).

With the residency waiver change making every degree at TESU more expensive, Math is basically as cheap as any other.

I believe these have been mentioned a few times here         
https://westcottcourses.com/courses.html

https://westcottcourses.com/accreditation.html

and what dos this mean for coopersmith's linear algebra

Credit Recommendation:
In the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category OR in the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in Accounting, Business, Computer Science, Data Sciences, Engineering, Economics, Finance, Marketing, or Mathematics (4/19).

I wouldn't consider those Westcott courses to fall under the "test-friendly" category, as even though they're self-paced they're extremely pricy. The only ones that would really be beneficial is the UL one, Abstract Algebra, but it's $973.

I would consider these self-paced, and I think this is the only way we have on this forum to get Calc III, and it's $544, so that's a decent price (compared to TESU's $1100).

Also, since it will come (supposedly) on a transcript from a 4yr school, TESU will probably bring it in as UL.

Also, these are not all new, some have been here for a while. MAT-302, 303, 304, and 305 are new, and don't have equivalencies yet, but the others I do:
MAT-301: Concepts in Math and Quantitative Analysis >> MAT-303 (I'm guessing MAT-303 will be the same)

I doubt that TESU will bring in Calc 3 as UL. It's not given an UL course number from Brandman, and I know that they don't take APU's Calculus 3 as upper level. I could be wrong, but I would expect it to come in as lower level. And with that being the case, taking it through Westcott instead of TESU just leaves you lacking another UL class.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(07-23-2019, 07:36 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 02:54 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I wouldn't consider those Westcott courses to fall under the "test-friendly" category, as even though they're self-paced they're extremely pricy. The only ones that would really be beneficial is the UL one, Abstract Algebra, but it's $973.

I would consider these self-paced, and I think this is the only way we have on this forum to get Calc III, and it's $544, so that's a decent price (compared to TESU's $1100).

Also, since it will come (supposedly) on a transcript from a 4yr school, TESU will probably bring it in as UL.

I doubt that TESU will bring in Calc 3 as UL. It's not given an UL course number from Brandman, and I know that they don't take APU's Calculus 3 as upper level. I could be wrong, but I would expect it to come in as lower level. And with that being the case, taking it through Westcott instead of TESU just leaves you lacking another UL class.

TESU's own Calc III course is UL (MAT-331), so I'm not certain why you would imply this is never the case?  I know for sure they won't bring in a course from a CC as UL, but that doesn't mean the same holds true for courses brought in from 4yr schools at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
if you look under the Course Details tab for Calculus 3 it says

Most students finish the lower level courses in 1 - 3 months.
The upper level math courses, such as Calculus and above, usually take students 2 - 4 months.

https://westcottcourses.com/c/calculus-3/BR#_two

So it seems like Brandman University transcribes it as upper level, but I don't see upper or lower mentioned anywhere else

Calculus 3 online at SUNY Empire is 4 upper level (I think this is semester based, not self study)
https://open.suny.edu/courses/empire-sta...-fall-2019
they're pretty expensive though
https://www.esc.edu/student-accounts/tui...itionfees/
(07-23-2019, 11:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 07:36 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 02:54 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I wouldn't consider those Westcott courses to fall under the "test-friendly" category, as even though they're self-paced they're extremely pricy. The only ones that would really be beneficial is the UL one, Abstract Algebra, but it's $973.

TESU's own Calc III course is UL (MAT-331), so I'm not certain why you would imply this is never the case?  I know for sure they won't bring in a course from a CC as UL, but that doesn't mean the same holds true for courses brought in from 4yr schools at all.
I'm not trying to imply that it would never be the case, but based on the course number it has at Brandman I'm guessing this particular one will come in as LL. Of course we don't know until someone asks to pre-plan it, so hopefully I'm wrong on this count
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Oh man, I'm already maxed out on the amount of BAs I can get, otherwise I would be doing this! Between Coopersmith and the new SDC offerings, we've been spoiled this year.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(07-23-2019, 09:56 AM)Zed Wrote: Coopersmith has some new courses:

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/
http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...consulting

Mathematics:
  • Calculus (MAT-302)
  • College Algebra (MAT-101)
  • College Geometry (MAT-103)
  • Concepts in Math and Quantitative Analysis (MAT-301)
  • Introduction to Statistics (MAT-102)
  • Linear Algebra (MAT-305)
  • Probability and Statistics (MAT-304)
  • Quantitative Analysis (MAT-303)
I called them up yesterday and they said that all their courses transfer to TESU and that MAT-303, 304, 305 transfer as Upper Level. They weren't able to give specific equivalencies though, so it would probably be best to check with TESU advising before signing up.

To be completely candid, what whomever you spoke to no doubt said was that they're NCCRS recommended as UL. Nobody has tried yet to transfer the new math courses to TESU and we would never guarantee that they would be accepted as UL until TESU actually accepts them as UL - even an advisor saying yes would not be good enough to prove it for us (you know how these things works with advisors not always being on the same page). I see no reason why they wouldn't but anyone whose dealt a lot with the Big 3 knows how idiosyncratic these things can get. I totally agree with the idea of confirming with your TESU rep before relying on it.

Incidentally, someone mentioned that most of our UL courses are recommended as "LL or UL." That means the same thing as UL. I'm not 100% sure why NCCRS does that, but probably to allow them to count towards an Associate's Degree or perhaps to avoid implying that they will not be pre-requisites for any other courses.

Incidentally #2, the reason we developed these courses is to have the whole set of pre-requisites for Georgia Tech's OMS in Analytics.

https://pe.gatech.edu/degrees/analytics

For about $10,000 you can get a MS in Analytics from GT. I was doing some research last year and learned how hot data science/analytics is (some industry experts estimate that there are 3 jobs for every 2 graduates in this field) and we started to get obsessed with the idea of the $10k Masters in Data Science. Then we found that GT already does it. So rather than trying to compete with GT, we're working on a feeder program, where we help people get their undergrad degrees with all the pre-requisites and provide academic support on these subjects before and even during their Master's program (GT is quite open that they don't provide much academic support for this super-cheap online program).

Now that we have the courses approved, we just have to build the academic support structure and the webpage. It should be up before Labor Day.

Quantitative Analysis had nothing to do with this - we developed that one because it was needed by many accounting students.
[-] The following 4 users Like shaas's post:
  • amaquiling, eriehiker, Muldoon, scorpion
Fantastic, shaas. Thank you for the work.
I'm surprised calculus III is even considered upper level at some schools as most schools consider it a low level gen ed requirement.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(07-28-2019, 06:51 PM)shaas Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 09:56 AM)Zed Wrote: Coopersmith has some new courses:

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/
http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...consulting

Mathematics:
  • Calculus (MAT-302)
  • College Algebra (MAT-101)
  • College Geometry (MAT-103)
  • Concepts in Math and Quantitative Analysis (MAT-301)
  • Introduction to Statistics (MAT-102)
  • Linear Algebra (MAT-305)
  • Probability and Statistics (MAT-304)
  • Quantitative Analysis (MAT-303)
I called them up yesterday and they said that all their courses transfer to TESU and that MAT-303, 304, 305 transfer as Upper Level. They weren't able to give specific equivalencies though, so it would probably be best to check with TESU advising before signing up.

To be completely candid, what whomever you spoke to no doubt said was that they're NCCRS recommended as UL. Nobody has tried yet to transfer the new math courses to TESU and we would never guarantee that they would be accepted as UL until TESU actually accepts them as UL - even an advisor saying yes would not be good enough to prove it for us (you know how these things works with advisors not always being on the same page). I see no reason why they wouldn't but anyone whose dealt a lot with the Big 3 knows how idiosyncratic these things can get. I totally agree with the idea of confirming with your TESU rep before relying on it.

Incidentally, someone mentioned that most of our UL courses are recommended as "LL or UL." That means the same thing as UL. I'm not 100% sure why NCCRS does that, but probably to allow them to count towards an Associate's Degree or perhaps to avoid implying that they will not be pre-requisites for any other courses.

Incidentally #2, the reason we developed these courses is to have the whole set of pre-requisites for Georgia Tech's OMS in Analytics.

[/url][url=https://pe.gatech.edu/degrees/analytics]https://pe.gatech.edu/degrees/analytics

For about $10,000 you can get a MS in Analytics from GT. I was doing some research last year and learned how hot data science/analytics is (some industry experts estimate that there are 3 jobs for every 2 graduates in this field) and we started to get obsessed with the idea of the $10k Masters in Data Science. Then we found that GT already does it. So rather than trying to compete with GT, we're working on a feeder program, where we help people get their undergrad degrees with all the pre-requisites and provide academic support on these subjects before and even during their Master's program (GT is quite open that they don't provide much academic support for this super-cheap online program).

Now that we have the courses approved, we just have to build the academic support structure and the webpage. It should be up before Labor Day.

Quantitative Analysis had nothing to do with this - we developed that one because it was needed by many accounting students.

Has anyone attempted to transfer in MAT-303, MAT-304 or MAT-305 from Coopersmith? I just spoke to an adviser, who told me that out of the UL Coopersmith Math courses, only MAT-301 counts as UL.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
A TESU Adviser told me that MAT-305 (Linear Algebra) will transfer in as MAT-321 and that it will also apply toward the Area of Study for a BA in CS! I was just told this today.
[-] The following 3 users Like jeffreymb's post:
  • abs_co, camjenks, Zed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,322 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 890 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,507 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,842 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,040 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 328 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 701 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat