Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York May Offer Free Tuition Soon
(06-17-2018, 08:49 PM)miah Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 08:24 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 08:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 06:09 PM)miah Wrote: Student loans should not be higher interest than auto or mortgages (IMHO) ... it's just not fair.... it used to be that attending college and higher education could help raise you up out of poverty and debt.... not so sure that is as true now for the masses that use the traditional route of achieving higher education degrees...

I know plenty of kids paying their way through school, or who have grants and scholarships.  You do NOT have to take out tens of thousands of dollars of student loans to get through school!  If you can't afford it, you can choose less expensive schools, choose to work for a year or two instead of going to school, find jobs where they will pay for tuition, etc.  People who go to schools they can't afford and then take out tons of student loans to pay for it...well, that was just not smart.  I'm not talking about $10k in student loans, I'm talking $50-$150k.  That's just dumb.

And yes, when I was 18, and got accepted to Stanford, I thought it might be a great idea to take out loans to go, and my mom said ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Thank heavens someone in my life was smarter than I was right then, because I was an 18 year old moron.

Did you wait for your financial aid package? I avoided applying to good schools because I thought I couldn't afford them. It turns out that I probably would have gotten scholarships and grants directly from the school to cover most of the tuition.

They applied to state schools not private colleges. It still costs $100K to get a 4 year degree at SUNY colleges if you live on campus and maybe slightly less if you live off campus. 

Both of these young adults will be paying off loans for decades. The one will probably be better off than the other as one went for Engineering while the other ended up finishing up a degree in psychology. He prefers F2F courses over taking tests. 

The engineering student got some scholarships but still has a large student loan debt. The other one didn't get scholarships as far as I know.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that a substantial number of SUNY students are going $100k in debt. Take Buffalo State College, for example. On average, students take out less than $7,000 a year in loans. 

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/...loan-debt/

I'm also not buying that business, education, and psychology programs are hard to find.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-17-2018, 08:47 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 08:41 PM)miah Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 06:09 PM)miah Wrote: Student loans should not be higher interest than auto or mortgages (IMHO) ... it's just not fair.... it used to be that attending college and higher education could help raise you up out of poverty and debt.... not so sure that is as true now for the masses that use the traditional route of achieving higher education degrees...

I know plenty of kids paying their way through school, or who have grants and scholarships.  You do NOT have to take out tens of thousands of dollars of student loans to get through school!  If you can't afford it, you can choose less expensive schools, choose to work for a year or two instead of going to school, find jobs where they will pay for tuition, etc.  People who go to schools they can't afford and then take out tons of student loans to pay for it...well, that was just not smart.  I'm not talking about $10k in student loans, I'm talking $50-$150k.  That's just dumb.

And yes, when I was 18, and got accepted to Stanford, I thought it might be a great idea to take out loans to go, and my mom said ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Thank heavens someone in my life was smarter than I was right then, because I was an 18 year old moron.

I used to think that as well, but sometimes you don't have a choice to stay local if you want to get a degree such as Veterinary Technology or some other similar majors that are not available at every school, like business and psychology or education degrees are.

My nephews went to NYS SUNY schools and still graduated in debt! It is can cost $25,000 a year to attend STATE PUBLIC SCHOOLS in NYS by the time you add together tuition and fees and room and board and books!

Maybe other states are less expensive for instate students, but the cost of room and board is more than the cost of tuition and fees so you can't use that blanket statement for all students!

A 4 year degree will cost at least $100,000 in NYS at SUNY colleges. These are state colleges and universities, not private colleges!

Don't most 4-year colleges offer business, psychology, and education? Those are the most popular majors in the country.

I would bet $1 million that most SUNY students take out nowhere near $100k in loans. I don't think people realize how difficult it is for dependent students to find that much loan money.

I wasn't talking about students taking business, psychology and education!!!!

I was talking about students taking clinical courses or other technical degrees that they cannot get online and have to attend f2f classes for!!!

As far as I know there aren't any online professional engineering degrees that can be completed online.

And allied health degrees, you need to get at least an associate degree f2f before you can take online classes towards a bachelor or master degree in the field!

And when room and board is as much or more than tuition and fees, as it is at SUNY campuses in NYS, if you attend 4 years with room and board you are easily at $100K in debt at graduation if you didn't get any financial aid.

(06-17-2018, 08:54 PM)miah Wrote:

I used to think that as well, but sometimes you don't have a choice to stay local if you want to get a degree such as Veterinary Technology or some other similar majors that are not available at every school, like business and psychology or education degrees are.

My nephews went to NYS SUNY schools and still graduated in debt! It is can cost $25,000 a year to attend STATE PUBLIC SCHOOLS in NYS by the time you add together tuition and fees and room and board and books!

Maybe other states are less expensive for instate students, but the cost of room and board is more than the cost of tuition and fees so you can't use that blanket statement for all students!

A 4 year degree will cost at least $100,000 in NYS at SUNY colleges. These are state colleges and universities, not private colleges!

Don't most 4-year colleges offer business, psychology, and education? Those are the most popular majors in the country.

I would bet $1 million that most SUNY students take out nowhere near $100k in loans. I don't think people realize how difficult it is for dependent students to find that much loan money.

I was talking about students taking clinical courses or other technical degrees that they cannot get online and have to attend f2f classes for!!!

As far as I know there aren't any online professional engineering degrees that can be completed online.

And allied health degrees, you need to get at least an associate degree f2f before you can take online classes towards a bachelor or master degree in the field!

And when room and board is as much or more than tuition and fees, as it is at SUNY campuses in NYS, if you attend 4 years with room and board you are easily at $100K in debt at graduation if you didn't get any financial aid.

I know more than enough students that are graduating with student debt loads between $50K-$100K that attended public SUNY colleges.
(06-17-2018, 08:54 PM)miah Wrote:

The fact is that hardly anyone goes $100k in debt attending SUNY schools. If you have data to back that up, then please link. I can go school by school and find the average student loan debt for graduates of SUNY colleges and universities. The only people who go $100k in debt for undergraduate programs are those who are irresponsible. It's also very hard for dependent students to find that much student loan money. The federal government has a very low limit for dependent students, so getting more depends on the parents' creditworthiness. 

There are online engineering programs, but that's beside the point. Most people who attend on campus do not go anywhere near $100k in debt. 

http://www.abet.org/accreditation/new-to...-programs/

Going $50k in debt for an engineering degree is actually not a bad investment. Engineers can easily make six figures after a few years.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-17-2018, 08:53 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Did you wait for your financial aid package? I avoided applying to good schools because I thought I couldn't afford them. It turns out that I probably would have gotten scholarships and grants directly from the school to cover most of the tuition.

They applied to state schools not private colleges. It still costs $100K to get a 4 year degree at SUNY colleges if you live on campus and maybe slightly less if you live off campus. 

Both of these young adults will be paying off loans for decades. The one will probably be better off than the other as one went for Engineering while the other ended up finishing up a degree in psychology. He prefers F2F courses over taking tests. 

The engineering student got some scholarships but still has a large student loan debt. The other one didn't get scholarships as far as I know.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that a substantial number of SUNY students are going $100k in debt. Take Buffalo State College, for example. On average, students take out less than $7,000 a year in loans. 

I'm also not buying that business, education, and psychology programs are hard to find.

It might be true that the average student loan is $7K but that is including all the students on PELL and other financial aid/scholarships. Not everyone is lucky enough to get that level of financial support! And I know many that do that don't get the academic supports they need as first generation college students that drop out because the colleges only care about getting them admitted, not ensuring they make it to graduation!  I know because I've seen it first hand Yet they'll whine about losing students and their stats, and play dumb about why so many students don't make it and drop out. Sad. PS- I never said that business, education or psychology degrees were hard to find. I was stating the exact opposite. I was using those as examples, because you can find them practically at ever college!!! PS2- It still doesn't make any sense that student loan rates are higher than auto loans and mortgage rates!!!
(06-17-2018, 09:05 PM)miah Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 08:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know plenty of kids paying their way through school, or who have grants and scholarships.  You do NOT have to take out tens of thousands of dollars of student loans to get through school!  If you can't afford it, you can choose less expensive schools, choose to work for a year or two instead of going to school, find jobs where they will pay for tuition, etc.  People who go to schools they can't afford and then take out tons of student loans to pay for it...well, that was just not smart.  I'm not talking about $10k in student loans, I'm talking $50-$150k.  That's just dumb.

It might be true that the average student loan is $7K but that is including all the students on PELL and other financial aid/scholarships. Not everyone is lucky enough to get that level of financial support! And I know many that do that don't get the academic supports they need as first generation college students that drop out because the colleges only care about getting them admitted, not ensuring they make it to graduation!  I know because I've seen it first hand Yet they'll whine about losing students and their stats, and play dumb about why so many students don't make it and drop out. Sad.  PS- I never said that business, education or psychology degrees were hard to find. I was stating the exact opposite. I was using those as examples, because you can find them practically at ever college!!!   PS2- It still doesn't make any sense that student loan rates are higher than auto loans and mortgage rates!!!

I misread the majors part. 

How much your auto and home loan interest rates are depends on your credit. When I was younger and didn't have a cosigner, I think I had an 18% interest rate on an auto loan.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-17-2018, 09:11 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 08:24 PM)sanantone Wrote: Did you wait for your financial aid package? I avoided applying to good schools because I thought I couldn't afford them. It turns out that I probably would have gotten scholarships and grants directly from the school to cover most of the tuition.

It might be true that the average student loan is $7K but that is including all the students on PELL and other financial aid/scholarships. Not everyone is lucky enough to get that level of financial support! And I know many that do that don't get the academic supports they need as first generation college students that drop out because the colleges only care about getting them admitted, not ensuring they make it to graduation!  I know because I've seen it first hand Yet they'll whine about losing students and their stats, and play dumb about why so many students don't make it and drop out. Sad.  PS- I never said that business, education or psychology degrees were hard to find. I was stating the exact opposite. I was using those as examples, because you can find them practically at ever college!!!   PS2- It still doesn't make any sense that student loan rates are higher than auto loans and mortgage rates!!!

How much your auto and home loan interest rates are depends on your credit. When I was younger and didn't have a cosigner, I think I had an 18% interest rate on an auto loan.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the student loan rates plus the fact that not all students can actually get financial aid assistance as well as not end up in debt after doing all they can to get a bachelor degree even at state college campuses....
(06-17-2018, 09:39 PM)miah Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 08:49 PM)miah Wrote: They applied to state schools not private colleges. It still costs $100K to get a 4 year degree at SUNY colleges if you live on campus and maybe slightly less if you live off campus. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on the student loan rates plus the fact that not all students can actually get financial aid assistance as well as not end up in debt after doing all they can to get a bachelor degree even at state college campuses....

Only a third of college students receive the Pell Grant. 

https://trends.collegeboard.org/student-...-over-time

Still, it is relatively rare for anyone to go $100k in debt for an undergraduate degree. I'm talking about stats rather than anecdotes. The media has given so much attention to students going $100k in debt, people erroneously believe this is the norm. People who go $100k in debt for undergraduate degrees are outliers. A majority of undergraduate students won't even go $50k in debt.  

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/upl...lances.pdf
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-17-2018, 09:58 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 08:53 PM)sanantone Wrote: Sorry, but I'm not buying that a substantial number of SUNY students are going $100k in debt. Take Buffalo State College, for example. On average, students take out less than $7,000 a year in loans. 

Still, it is relatively rare for anyone to go $100k in debt for an undergraduate degree. I'm talking about stats rather than anecdotes. The media has given so much attention to students going $100k in debt, people erroneously believe this is the norm. People who go $100k in debt for undergraduate degrees are outliers. A majority of undergraduate students won't even go $50k in debt.  

If you live in NYS and your middle class and don't get financial aid, sorry to say, but yes, you will end up in debt for undergrad degrees from public colleges. You don't have to believe me - But I can tell you everyone I work with who's kids are attending public NYS colleges, they are in debt for at least $50K if not more and none of them recieved financial aid because both parents were working so they didn't qualify for grants and such. 

You are set on blaming people for going into debt to get a college education. I think that students should get the same low rates for college loans that people get for mortgages and auto loans during the same periods; especially if they are having to pay for it full rate without any discounts from federal/state/private financial aid grants. They are being put at a disadvantage for trying to be productive members of society. I'm for helping people pull them self up but the middle class families seem to get stuck paying while wealthy and the lower middle class and poor reap economic benefits.  You can only squeeze the middle class so far before it starts to implode...
(06-17-2018, 10:13 PM)miah Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:58 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:05 PM)miah Wrote: It might be true that the average student loan is $7K but that is including all the students on PELL and other financial aid/scholarships. Not everyone is lucky enough to get that level of financial support! And I know many that do that don't get the academic supports they need as first generation college students that drop out because the colleges only care about getting them admitted, not ensuring they make it to graduation!  I know because I've seen it first hand Yet they'll whine about losing students and their stats, and play dumb about why so many students don't make it and drop out. Sad.  PS- I never said that business, education or psychology degrees were hard to find. I was stating the exact opposite. I was using those as examples, because you can find them practically at ever college!!!   PS2- It still doesn't make any sense that student loan rates are higher than auto loans and mortgage rates!!!

If you live in NYS and your middle class and don't get financial aid, sorry to say, but yes, you will end up in debt for undergrad degrees from public colleges. You don't have to believe me - But I can tell you everyone I work with who's kids are attending public NYS colleges, they are in debt for at least $50K if not more and none of them recieved financial aid because both parents were working so they didn't qualify for grants and such. 

You are set on blaming people for going into debt to get a college education. I think that students should get the same low rates for college loans that people get for mortgages and auto loans during the same periods; especially if they are having to pay for it full rate without any discounts from federal/state/private financial aid grants. They are being put at a disadvantage for trying to be productive members of society. I'm for helping people pull them self up but the middle class families seem to get stuck paying while wealthy and the lower middle class and poor reap economic benefits.  You can only squeeze the middle class so far before it starts to implode...

Oh, I believe they go into debt; I just don't believe that many New Yorkers go anywhere near $100k in debt. The average in-state yearly tuition is around $9k nationally. Students can usually expect to pay $10-15k for room and board. Yet, most undergraduate students do not go $80k-100k in debt even though two-thirds of students don't qualify for the Pell Grant. 

I think it's reasonable to go $30k in debt. It's completely avoidable to go $100k in debt. There are so many options. Just because you're in college doesn't mean that you can't expect to eat and have a place to live. Your need to live still remains. You can get a part-time job, participate in a work study program, and/or live with a roommate in an off-campus apartment. Many students don't move away because they have to; they move away because they want to. There is nothing wrong with commuting, but so many kids want to waste money on the "full college experience."
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-17-2018, 10:22 PM)sanantone Wrote: I think it's reasonable to go $30k in debt. It's completely avoidable to go $100k in debt. There are so many options. Just because you're in college doesn't mean that you can't expect to eat and have a place to live. Your need to live still remains. You can get a part-time job, participate in a work study program, and/or live with a roommate in an off-campus apartment. Many students don't move away because they have to; they move away because they want to. There is nothing wrong with commuting, but so many kids want to waste money on the "full college experience."

I completely agree about the "college experience" thing.  It's one of the dumbest arguments for student loans ever.  Sorry, I didn't get "the full college experience" and you know what I did.  I partied like a rock star in my early 20's, with no debt.  Why do you need to go into debt for an "experience"?  You do NOT.  I have repeatedly told my kids that we are paying for their college EDUCATION, not the college EXPERIENCE.  Let's take that expectation right off the table from the start.  We've also said that they WILL be working through college, at least part time, and they will be expected to carry 12-15 credits in order to be considered a full-time student by US, and allowed to live at home.

So many kids I know personally want that whole "experience" and don't look at what they are paying for it.  Being shackled by a student loan for 20 years in order to have fun is just ridiculous.  Seriously, you can have a lot of fun in or out of college, and without being in debt to do so.  You know what's fun?  Graduating from college debt free, and having some options for your life going forward.  You know what's not fun?  Graduating from college with $50k in student loans that will force you to make choices you don't want to make because you have to make a certain amount just to be able to make your payments?  You know what's even less fun?  NOT graduating from college, and having $30k worth of loans that will drag you down for 10-20 years.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ConqueringCollege, mudball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York Governor Kathy Hochul admits that the $355 million Trump verdict was a sham LevelUP 11 1,227 02-23-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,239 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,230 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  How to Get The Best Job Offer Kal Di 2 599 01-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  PDF Converter by Readdle (Free for ios - ipad/iphone) bjcheung77 0 699 01-10-2022, 02:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  FREE editing and video production software bjcheung77 11 3,399 11-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Eneys
  Amazon Prime: FREE Battlefield 1 Origin Key! Expires Aug. 4, 2021 bjcheung77 5 1,260 08-03-2021, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  [Google Play] "Human" Documentary Movie FREE *Rental* bjcheung77 0 661 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  [Microsoft Store] Free PDF Manager - Merge, Split, Trim bjcheung77 5 1,527 07-07-2021, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE - Amazon.com - Python and OpenGL (Kindle Edition) bjcheung77 1 804 07-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bluebooger