Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New and Improved TESC BA Social Science plan. How does it look?
Hey everyone, I recently posted about potentially getting an AA from COSC and transferring it to TESC and you all helped me a lot with that. I figured it was MUCH easier to take some of the courses through Thomas Edison to generate graded credits for grad school. I also utilized the Social Science major because of the flexibility.

So here is the new and improved plan! :hurray:Thanks everyone for helping me out with this, an internship I landed a while back is coming to an end and I would really love to come on as full time but a BA is required so this is going to help me a lot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Also, how are the courses at TESC? I had trouble finding Upper Level courses until I found some really interesting courses in the course offerings.

Note: You will see A&I mentioned twice on there. I figured since it is worth 6 units, 3 of those would fall under gen ed electives.

Thanks again guys.
10-YR GOAL: 
MD/DO acceptance!
Post-baccalaureate Premedical Program, UC Berkeley Extension

UP NEXT: 
Contemplating MS Systems Engineering programs.

CURRENTLY: 
B.A. Computer Science & Biology, Thomas Edison State University

DONE:
M.B.A. Management & Strategy, Western Governors University, grad. Jan 2019
B.A. Social Sciences, Thomas Edison State University, grad. Dec 2017
Your degree planning is looking good, very organized. Your Social Sciences Area of Study needs a little work. For the Social Sciences (TESC refers to it as section two) you need 30 social science elective credits plus Capstone. 15 of the 30 social science elective credits need to be UL. There can only be 6 credits of 100 level courses. Micro, US History 2, West Civ 1 and 2 are all 100 level. When courses transfer in TESC will assign a number such as 100, 200, 300 or 400 to each courses. CC credit is 100 or 200 level. You might be able to move courses around to fit into different spots. I'm not sure which courses have already been taken. Substance Abuse, Counter Terrorism and The Middle East are labeled as Upper level on your degree plan. I believe those are all Social Science electives. You could probably move those to the area of study. For CLEP exams I believe some of the credit values are changing. If you have not taken A and I lit yet it might only be worth 3 credits. There is a separate forum discussion for the CLEP exams.

I don't know how graded transfer credits work for applying to grad school but Excelsior College has their own exam program that is graded. TESC considers the Excelsior exams to be equivalent to other courses transferred from 4 year colleges. Excelsior has a few exams that are UL Social Sciences (Cultural diversity, there are a few others, maybe history). Some of the exams are approximately $150 (includes proctoring fee) but some are more expensive.

For the electives section (section 3) you can take any college level courses. There are a few online courses that are free to take and can be taken easily, quickly. They are self paced and transfer to TESC. They are ACE recommended so I'm not sure how they would look to a grad school.

Thomas Edison State College: Social Sciences

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...raded.html

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...edits.html
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
A few issues:

A&I is no longer 6 credits at TESC, so if you haven't taken it already, be prepared for that to be 3cr

You have Technical Writing & Astronomy on the list twice

You need to check with TESC prior to taking any CC courses to make sure they'll be 200-level courses rather than 100-level courses. You will want that in writing before you take any classes. (This is just for the SocSci courses).

You have too many 100-level courses in the SocSci area (only 2 max) - you can move some down to Free Electives (maybe Western Civ I & II)

You don't have enough UL courses in the SocSci area (18cr min) - you have 12cr - get 2 more UL courses in there

Don't forget to use some of the free/super-cheap courses if you can (Kaplan PLA is 3cr, Ethics is 2cr, TEEX is up to 6cr, NFA is 3cr, ALEKS is only $20/mo for up to 12cr, Saylor is $25/course). The best part is that all of these are from home!

UExcel has $145 UL courses that will work (World Conflicts, World Populaton, Juvenile Delinquency, Social Psych, Research Methods in Psych)

CSU-Global has some CJ exams that are probably UL for $250
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,897 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  TESU BA in History Plan - Critiques? mysonx3 4 2,127 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA ckndinner 3 1,674 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: prolific_change
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,451 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
  New Member - Need Assistance With TESU Psychology Plan joshyjosh 7 2,192 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77