Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New from Harvard Extension School
(06-13-2019, 10:44 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @ThatBankDude you're wrong:

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/about-us

The first line says 'We are Harvard' and they state 'We are a fully accredited Harvard School'

Even the harvard.edu mentions it in their 'distance education' programs:

https://www.harvard.edu/about-harvard/fr...e-learning

The school is a part of Harvard just like any other school within Harvard and was founded before quite a bit of schools within Harvard.

So where will I tell them I went? MIT? Yale? WGU?

If they ask I'll say I went to Harvard. If I show them my diploma it'll have 'Harvard' written on it. Not Yale, not Colimbia not Penn Foster. Harvard. End of Text.

The diploma itself is differentiated from others that Harvard issues in that it states "Masters of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies." Is the school a part of Harvard like the others? Yes. Is the school respected like the others? Not so much. Personally, I do not want the fact that I pursued my education online to be differentiated from others who earned their degree on campus. In my opinion, Harvard does just that.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 2 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, KawJa
(06-13-2019, 11:23 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Things seem similar among Penn's online or blended graduate degrees. For instance, the engineering department has an online master's on CourseRA, but it's a Master of Computer and Information Technology (MCIT) for students from a non-CS background. Again, a differently titled degree from on-campus students.

This program is titled the same way as their on-campus Masters of Computer and Information Technology (found here: https://www.cis.upenn.edu/prospective-st...e/mcit.php ) and they both come from their School of Engineering and Applied Science. They do not differentiate online student from on-campus students on the degree or transcript.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(06-13-2019, 11:23 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 09:47 AM)sanantone Wrote: I'd rather take that money and go to UPenn and get the same degree as everyone else. After reading a Dallas forum, I've learned that more people than expected know that Harvard Extension is a "special" school.

Which Penn online or hybrid degree is "the same degree as everyone else?"

Penn's College of Liberal and Professional Studies, Penn LPS, is a separate unit for adult students within Penn like HES is within Harvard University. The Penn LPS online undergraduate degree is a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS), which doesn't seem to be offered elsewhere within Penn.

Whereas the HES undergraduate program has a rich schedule of evening and intensive on-campus courses alongside online courses, Penn is eliminating evening and weekend on-campus classes for LPS adult undergraduates and replacing them with the BAAS, an online degree with two short residencies "similar to orientation days." There's one admission pathway based on prior transcript review, and a "prove your way in" pathway based on taking open enrollment courses, and that's like HES.

Things seem similar among Penn's online or blended graduate degrees. For instance, the engineering department has an online master's on CourseRA, but it's a Master of Computer and Information Technology (MCIT) for students from a non-CS background. Again, a differently titled degree from on-campus students.

I take the fair point that some people will prefer a program where online and on-campus students are awarded the same degree from the same academic unit. I'm not seeing where Penn does things differently from Harvard in that respect. There could be some other program within Penn where online and traditionally admitted on-campus students are awarded the same degree.

Quote:Actually, I would spend less at a school that is ranked higher in its field than an Ivy League school i.e. Georgia Tech or University of Texas for computer science.

With Harvard Extension, you also have to factor in the cost of being in Cambridge for face-to-face classes.

Also fair points!
The MCIT is also available on campus.

https://www.cis.upenn.edu/prospective-st...e/mcit.php

In addition, I believe UPenn has a blended PhD.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(06-13-2019, 10:11 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: The issue with saying "I went to Harvard" is that you actually would not have gone to Harvard. The Harvard Extension School is an open admissions aspect of the school and lacks to admissions rigor that other schools within the university have. Does it fall under the branding of Harvard? Sure.

Courses are open enrollment, but degree programs are not open admission. HES degree program admission requires "academic distinction in… initial degree courses."

Quote:However, the school itself made a post on their website I believe showing the proper way of listing the school on their resume as "Harvard Extension School" since I am sure a lot of people were doing "Harvard University" creating a false credential.

This is very mistaken. Harvard University is not a false credential. The current HES résumé and cover letter guide shows sample résumés with several recommended options:
  • Harvard University Extension School
  • Harvard University, Extension School
  • Harvard University (see the listing for the graduate certificate in Jim Wang's résumé, and an individual course in Susan R. Smith's)
Like Harvard College, GSAS and others, Harvard Extension School falls entirely within the regional accreditation of Harvard University. While omitting Harvard University and only listing Harvard Extension School wouldn't be wrong, there's the risk that an automated résumé screening wouldn't match "Harvard Extension School" with the accredited university of which it's a unit.

You're right that the Extension School occasionally lays down the law to remind people not to misrepresent the school, but you're wrong about the form of the misrepresentation. Harvard Extension School is a subset of Harvard University and Harvard. No misrepresentation there. It is a problem if someone misrepresents Harvard Extension School as a different academic unit, such as Harvard College or Harvard Business School. It is a problem if someone misrepresents a program like the Bachelor of Liberal Arts (offered by HES) as a different program, like the Bachelor of Arts (offered by Harvard College).

(06-13-2019, 11:43 AM)jsd Wrote: This program is titled the same way as their on-campus Masters of Computer and Information Technology (found here: https://www.cis.upenn.edu/prospective-st...e/mcit.php ) and they both come from their School of Engineering and Applied Science. They do not differentiate online student from on-campus students on the degree or transcript.

That's a plus, then, for students for whom that's important.

So Penn differentiates in some programs (the BAAS from LPS vs. the BA from the College of Arts and Sciences traditional students earn) but not others (MCIT). But the same is true of Harvard (differentiated: the ALB from HES vs. the BA from Harvard College; not differentiated: the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health offers the MPH in several fields predominantly on campus, but the MPH in Epidemiology is blended for all students).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • warriortaupou
@Jonathan Whatley you are correct. I couldn't say it better.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Not that rabbit hole again...

I for one super happy they accept MITx micromasters, what a great "low cost" way to start your journey! I think it's awesome, and they give you 4 credited courses!
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 1 user Likes posabsolute's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Edit to say- same thread different day.
(06-13-2019, 09:55 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanatone good point. I was considering the masters in EE at University of Colorado at Boulder for 20k, but this Harvard Extension degree is 22k more...

Harvard Extension School offers a need-based grant that gives 50% off its tuition during the Spring and Fall, and one free class during the summer. The HES masters programs can be spaced out to last 5 years. If you stretch the program out to take the maximum number of free summer courses, you can get the out of pocket cost down to $15k for the masters degree. Some programs also have enough elective courses to allow you to earn a graduate certificate or two while you complete the master program. I haven't found a hard cut off number for the HES grant, but I've heard of people making 50k per year getting the grant.
(06-14-2019, 11:05 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 09:55 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanatone good point. I was considering the masters in EE at University of Colorado at Boulder for 20k, but this Harvard Extension degree is 22k more...

Harvard Extension School offers a need-based grant that gives 50% off its tuition during the Spring and Fall, and one free class during the summer. The HES masters programs can be spaced out to last 5 years. If you stretch the program out to take the maximum number of free summer courses, you can get the out of pocket cost down to $15k for the masters degree. Some programs also have enough elective courses to allow you to earn a graduate certificate or two while you complete the master program. I haven't found a hard cut off number for the HES grant, but I've heard of people making 50k per year getting the grant.

Five years!?!
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
I got a job interview for a good opportunity with the corporate hq of a 9-state, $18B company in which the only education discussed was "Wow. I didn't know Harvard had a distance program like that. I may have to think about doing that myself!" It seemed to be the thing that really got their attention. Extension or not. That brand really tracks. Especially the farther you get outside of the Northeast. I have only run into one person who was not impressed and gave me a "yeah but." (And that guy was an uppity ivory tower ivy professor.)
Your mileage may vary.
[-] The following 6 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Ideas, Jonathan Whatley, KawJa, quigongene, studiousimp, TheMaskedMutant

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 881 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,343 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,280 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,272 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,351 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,500 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger