Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy looking for feedback on TESU History BA
Well the free sophia count as free electives. You get 2 free and then use the 50 off coupon for college success. Total would be 3 free credits. Maybe you don't need them, but I thought you needed more free and GE electives. These are about as easy as it gets, you probably knock out of them in less a day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • person8612
Tentative Charter Oak plan:

CREDITS I (THINK) I ALREADY HAVE:
  • Written Communication: AP English Language and Composition
  • Literature and Fine Arts: Art Appreciation 100
  • Social/Behavioral Sciences: General Psychology 200
  • Ethical Decision-Making: Introduction to Ethics
  • U.S. History/Government: AP US History
  • Mathematics: Precalculus Algebra and Trigonometry 1150
  • Natural Science (4/7): Fundamentals of Chemistry I 1030 + Fundamentals of Chemistry I Lab 1031
  • Western Civilization I: Western Civilization I 101
  • History Electives (3/18?): World History II 1020
  • Free Electives (15/?): Introduction to Industrial & Systems Engineering 1110, Geography of Asia 3160, Blueprint Reading for Manufacturing 104, AP American Government, AP Environmental Science
CREDITS I (THINK) I STILL NEED:
  • COSC's IDS 101 Cornerstone Seminar
  • COSC's Capstone
  • Information Literacy: COSC's IDS 101 Cornerstone Seminar
  • Oral Communication: Study.com Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
  • Natural Science (3/7): Saylor Bio101B: Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology
  • Western Civilization II: CLEP Western Civilization II
  • Non-Western History (6/6): DSST A History of the Vietnam War, DSST History of the Soviet Union
  • History Electives (15/18?): Saylor HIST362: Modern Revolutions, Saylor HIST363: Global Perspectives on Industrialization, CLEP Social Sciences and History
  • Free Electives (?/?)
(12-16-2019, 06:55 PM)natshar Wrote: Well the free sophia count as free electives. You get 2 free and then use the 50 off coupon for college success. Total would be 3 free credits. Maybe you don't need them, but I thought you needed more free and GE electives. These are about as easy as it gets, you probably knock out of them in less a day.
Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of the additional 1 credit. Thanks.
(12-16-2019, 07:14 PM)person8612 Wrote: Tentative Charter Oak plan:

CREDITS I (THINK) I ALREADY HAVE:
  • Written Communication: AP English Language and Composition
  • Literature and Fine Arts: Art Appreciation 100
  • Social/Behavioral Sciences: General Psychology 200
  • Ethical Decision-Making: Introduction to Ethics
  • U.S. History/Government: AP US History
  • Mathematics: Precalculus Algebra and Trigonometry 1150
  • Natural Science (4/7): Fundamentals of Chemistry I 1030 + Fundamentals of Chemistry I Lab 1031 - This would be your science w/lab
  • Western Civilization I: Western Civilization I 101
  • History Electives (3/18?): World History II 1020
  • Free Electives (15/?): Introduction to Industrial & Systems Engineering 1110, Geography of Asia 3160, Blueprint Reading for Manufacturing 104, AP American Government, AP Environmental Science This would be your science w/o lab
CREDITS I (THINK) I STILL NEED:
  • COSC's IDS 101 Cornerstone Seminar
  • COSC's Capstone
  • Information Literacy: COSC's IDS 101 Cornerstone Seminar Listed twice
  • Oral Communication: Study.com Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace Won't work for your public speaking, nobody accepts this for that requirement any longer, take Study.com Public Speaking, SL Intro to Comm, DSST Public Speaking exam, etc.
  • Natural Science (3/7): Saylor Bio101B: Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology Not required if you don't want to take this
  • Western Civilization II: CLEP Western Civilization II
  • Non-Western History (6/6): DSST A History of the Vietnam War (check this, not sure if it's non-Western History or not) DSST History of the Soviet Union
  • History Electives (15/18?): Saylor HIST362: Modern Revolutions, Saylor HIST363: Global Perspectives on Industrialization these are not ACE-recommended for credit , CLEP Social Sciences and History not sure this counts as a history elective
  • Free Electives (?/?) COSC doesn't use this term, a course is either a "Liberal Arts" or "Non-Liberal Arts" course 
(12-16-2019, 06:55 PM)natshar Wrote: Well the free sophia count as free electives. You get 2 free and then use the 50 off coupon for college success. Total would be 3 free credits. Maybe you don't need them, but I thought you needed more free and GE electives. These are about as easy as it gets, you probably knock out of them in less a day.
Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of the additional 1 credit. Thanks.

Also need Global Understanding, I'd take an UL course like Study.com's MARK 303: Global Marketing (killing 2 birds with 1 stone - meeting this requirement, plus getting the UL credit you need)

UExcel has World Conflicts Since 1900 that's UL

Study.com upgraded a couple of history courses: HIS 307: American Civil Rights Movement and HIS 309: War & American Society are both UL now

Coopersmith has UL courses:
HIS-300: The History of Orthodox Jewry in the United States (1880-1945) (6 credits I think)
HIS-301: Eastern European Jewish Immigration and Settlement in the US
HIS-302: Jewish Participation in the Garment Industry

Make sure you plan in 30cr of UL - at least 18cr of UL in the concentration including the capstone, and then 12cr of UL anywhere else in the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I see you've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread, and to be honest I'm having a hard time following all of it to know where you still need advice, but a few comments:

1. While taking natshar's advice and trying to do 16 credits in one term isn't a bad idea and would probably save you some money, you wouldn't get your full $6k-ish grant that way, you'd only get half (because you'd only be taking classes during one term)

2. For Upper Level recommendations, here is what I took:
- Coopersmith Eastern European Jewish Immigration
- DSST History of the Soviet Union
- Study.com American Civil War Era
- Study.com Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War
- TESU Historical Methods
- TESU Capstone
None were all that hard (well, the Capstone is a lot of work, but you have to take that). Probably the easiest one was Coopersmith - just studied their PowerPoint for a couple days and passed with a 98. I also took a Psych class from Coopersmith (I'm a double-major) and it was the same way, so I feel pretty confident recommending them (and, as mentioned by dfrecore, Study.com has a handful of upper level history classes)

3. Yeah, not sure about Blueprint Reading counting as a GenEd. I'm guessing it won't, but you won't know for sure until you get an evaluation. Getting enough GenEd credits shouldn't be a problem though, since its such a broad category.

4. Thinking about what the Pell Grant will cover is the wrong way to think about it, since the amount of money you get isn't really predicated on how much you have to pay. The right way to think of it is: how much money will I have to pay, and how much will the Pell give me? As long as you take 6 credits in a term and that term doesn't overlap with another term for which you're getting financial aid, you'll be able to get your full dollar amount (no idea how the GPA thing effects that, though)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-17-2019, 01:03 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: 1. While taking natshar's advice and trying to do 16 credits in one term isn't a bad idea and would probably save you some money, you wouldn't get your full $6k-ish grant that way, you'd only get half (because you'd only be taking classes during one term)

4. Thinking about what the Pell Grant will cover is the wrong way to think about it, since the amount of money you get isn't really predicated on how much you have to pay. The right way to think of it is: how much money will I have to pay, and how much will the Pell give me? As long as you take 6 credits in a term and that term doesn't overlap with another term for which you're getting financial aid, you'll be able to get your full dollar amount (no idea how the GPA thing effects that, though)

So really, you have to look at what you'd get for the Pell grant for the year, then take the right number of courses each term to get the full Pell.  Which looks to be 2 courses per term x 4 terms = $6,195 (just what I saw on the web).

The amount you'd pay is 6cr per term x 4 terms = 24cr x $379/cr = $9,096.  So your out of pocket is $2,901.

I think you'd be better off going to another school, where credits are cheaper.  Even if you have to go a bit longer than a year, you also will get some of next year's Pell as well (another $1500 for an additional 6cr term).  So total of about $7750 for 30cr in 5 terms.

-  APU will take 60cr of ACE, and with your other credits, you'd be at 90cr, and they are only $285/cr.  So $285x30=$8550.  And the nice thing there is, they have 8-week terms instead of 12-week ones. And you get the option of US History, European History, or Global History for your concentrations.  Out of pocket is $800.

- SNHU also takes 90cr in transfer including ACE, and then you get to choose from American History, European History, Middle Eastern Studies, or Military History, for $9600.  Out of pocket is $1850.

I'm sure there are more options out there.  I just think limiting yourself to TESU when you have a Pell grant is short-sighted.  There are better options.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree with dfrecore there are other options.

What I was saying is that doing 16 credits at Tesu to avoid the wavier (especially when you have to do 9 already) seems like a better option financially than paying the wavier, especially with pell grant.

Doing 16 credits in one term is a better value since tesu flat rate 10+ credits is the same amount no matter how many credits. It is also a faster option because you'd be done in just one term at tesu. But obviously doing 16 credits at once may or may not work for you.

I agree that you might want to look at other schools. Consider your values as well. What you value most. Speed? Cost? Something else?
Not much to add except if you have an Audible membership you have access to the Great Courses which helped me a ton with several tests including the Soviet and Civil War DSSTs. Mike Duncan of the Revolutions podcast is (slowly) covering the Russian Revolutions as well so that is worth a listen especially if you have a commute or a time consuming exercise habit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 16 719 2 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 270 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,159 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch