Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here with some questions
so I guess my main question is which is the better approach:

Study 2-3 weeks for a CLEP than take the exam

or

Use Study.com to take a course over 2-3 weeks than take a final?

Not sure which is the easier approach.
(09-10-2018, 01:57 AM)All Seas Wrote: so I guess my main question is which is the better approach:

or

Personally, I feel that both options are equally easy. But the real answer is: "It depends on your study style and tolerance for risk."

If you're good at doing your own topical research and translating that into answers for an exam, and/or are good at test taking in general, then CLEP may be the easier option. Assuming you have a nearly testing center, of course. As long as the modern states' vouchers hold out, it should be the cheaper option as well.

However, if you need more help with learning (or refreshing) course material, aren't as good of a test taker, or want to hedge your bets against a poor exam grade, then taking a course at an online provider like Study.com (or Straighterline) may be the easier option.

For the online providers, you only need 70% in the overall course to earn credit. In both the case of Study.com and Straighterline, if you do well on the quizzes (and written assignments/projects for certain courses) then you don't have to worry as much about the final exam score. In fact, there are some courses at Straighterline where the final only represents 20% of the overall score, so you can technically pass the course without even taking the final exam if you do well enough on the open-book quizzes. For courses with a paper or project at Study.com, the final exam represents only 33% of the final score. For Study.com courses without assignments or projects, the final exam represents 67% of the final score. For CLEP the exam represents 100% of the final score.

Hopefully that helps.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(09-10-2018, 01:57 AM)All Seas Wrote: so I guess my main question is which is the better approach:

or

Answer: it depends!

I used CLEP/DSST for course that I could easily pass.  I used courses (from Study.com and other providers) when I actually needed to learn material from scratch (or at least, I didn't know enough to pass without study).

I never felt comfortable taking a test on something I didn't already know, and I was not good at learning material from scratch through self-study.  Just wasn't what I was good at.  But plenty of people do it, so it's certainly not impossible.

It's up to you as to which is better for YOU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Kelly Green
I think I like the idea of not having my grade on a single test. Especially if I am going to invest the same amount of time in both options.

I read that tesu only lets you transfer in 90 credits from a source. Would that mean I have to split up between study.com and SL or are they considered the same source? (ACE)
SDC and SL are considered separate sources.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 220 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,312 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,753 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 779 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 423 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,328 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 1,809 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions about TEEX’s Death Investigation course Michelle779 3 1,705 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  New to the forum, couple questions. ARhead 29 4,466 03-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ARhead