Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New info for TESU BA-Communications candidates
I got this e-mail from an advisor today, this can't be true though?

https://gyazo.com/a96c91113752f07b6a5281663fd9d058
(05-25-2018, 09:38 AM)Danielp Wrote: I got this e-mail from an advisor today, this can't be true though?

That seems correct for the major, which provider is offering those courses?
Those 8 courses are all that is required for the 24 UL Communications credits.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(05-25-2018, 09:48 AM)Lewis.Yim Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:38 AM)Danielp Wrote: I got this e-mail from an advisor today, this can't be true though?

It's from CSU Global. 

But isn't COM-325 supposed to come in as COM-121 or am I missing something?
(05-25-2018, 09:55 AM)Danielp Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:48 AM)Lewis.Yim Wrote:

It's from CSU Global. 

But isn't COM-325 supposed to come in as COM-121 or am I missing something?

They aren't going to bring in an UL course from a university as a LL course equivalency for the most part.

A better thing to ask is, does this course fulfill XXX requirement?

I think if you ask that (use a separate email for each requirement), and list the requirement, and then the courses that might work (maybe from Study.com as they have a few), that would be a good way to get the info you need.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-25-2018, 09:19 AM)SamCes Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 02:47 PM)peacel Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 10:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 09:43 PM)Sb2013 Wrote: My evaluation came today and says the mass comm  classes are required. I talk to my advisor in the morning  though! I'm going to ask about some this stuff...thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, you used to be able to get Mass Comm I through Shmoop (but TESU no longer takes Shmoop courses, at least for now), and AlignDegree (expired).  So, you'll have to ask if you can use 2 UL CSU-Global CBE's: Mass Comm, and Mass Comm and Society.  Otherwise, I'm not sure where else you can get Mass Comm I besides TESU.

I just want to add that based on my communication with TESU, the required courses can be satisfied as follows:

Mass Communications 1 (COM120) can be satisfied by CSU-Global's Mass Communications CBE (COM320EX), which transfers into TESU as COM311. (I actually took the Shmoop instead. Barely made the cut off date, praise God!)
Mass Communications 2 (COM121) can be satisfied by CSU-Global's Mass Communication and Society CBE (COM325EX). I'm not sure what it transfers in as exactly, but it is a UL course. Currently studying this. 
Communication Theory (COM100) can be satisfied by... idk yet. But I just learned from TESU today that it CANNOT be satisfied by study.com's Interpersonal Communications (it transfers into TESU as COM230). Will have to figure this out soon! Smile Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks !! This is great.  I'm going for a Communications Major as well.  Earlier in the thread SDO says re the "Communication Theory" requirement— "I was told that you can use either COM-330 (Interpersonal Communications) or COM-265 (Communication in the Digital Age) to meet that requirement, but the system will not automatically populate those courses to that requirement on your evaluation. You will have to ask the Dean to move it there."  Anyone know if that's still the case?

(05-24-2018, 02:47 PM)peacel Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 10:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 09:43 PM)Sb2013 Wrote: My evaluation came today and says the mass comm  classes are required. I talk to my advisor in the morning  though! I'm going to ask about some this stuff...thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, you used to be able to get Mass Comm I through Shmoop (but TESU no longer takes Shmoop courses, at least for now), and AlignDegree (expired).  So, you'll have to ask if you can use 2 UL CSU-Global CBE's: Mass Comm, and Mass Comm and Society.  Otherwise, I'm not sure where else you can get Mass Comm I besides TESU.

I just want to add that based on my communication with TESU, the required courses can be satisfied as follows:

Mass Communications 1 (COM120) can be satisfied by CSU-Global's Mass Communications CBE (COM320EX), which transfers into TESU as COM311. (I actually took the Shmoop instead. Barely made the cut off date, praise God!)
Mass Communications 2 (COM121) can be satisfied by CSU-Global's Mass Communication and Society CBE (COM325EX). I'm not sure what it transfers in as exactly, but it is a UL course. Currently studying this. 
Communication Theory (COM100) can be satisfied by... idk yet. But I just learned from TESU today that it CANNOT be satisfied by study.com's Interpersonal Communications (it transfers into TESU as COM230). Will have to figure this out soon! Smile Does anyone have recommendations?
Have you explored csu global's (cbe) exam "Foundations of Strategic Communication COM335EX" as an option for TESU's "Communication Theory"  https://csuglobal.edu/undergraduate/alte...d-exam-cbe?  Seems like it could be a fit https://www.screencast.com/t/IJXGoI2TR
Here's an update from TESU:

-----

Thomas Edison State University recently (as of the June term) just started offering this new online course- COM-100 (Communication Theory)- I have copied and pasted this course description below in the bold

COM-100 Communication Theory
This course surveys the current body of communication theory literature. Students examine theories applied in the study of mass media and human communication. Communication theories pertain to interpersonal, group, and mass communication, and therefore provide a framework for analyzing media texts and the everyday experience of human communication

Because we now offer this course, the School of Heavin of Arts and Sciences will not accept a course waiver (as they did in the past) of another Communication course (such as Interpersonal Communication.) Any course that a student wants to transfer in to meet the "Communication Theory" requirement has to be similar to the course description of TESU course COM-100 (the syllabus must state theories are covered in the course) in order for the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences to accept the course to fulfill the "Communications Theory" requirement.

At this time I do not have knowledge of any school that offers "Communication Theory." You can keep on sending course syllabus from other schools that you find match the course description to TESU course COM-100.

-----

Seems like a hunt to satisfy Com Theory is now underway. 

I asked for a syllabus for CSU's Foundations of Strategic Communication, but we'll see how that will work.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes peacel's post:
  • TacticalTechie
(06-04-2018, 07:19 PM)peacel Wrote: Here's an update from TESU:

-----

Thomas Edison State University recently (as of the June term) just started offering this new online course- COM-100 (Communication Theory)- I have copied and pasted this course description below in the bold

This course surveys the current body of communication theory literature. Students examine theories applied in the study of mass media and human communication. Communication theories pertain to interpersonal, group, and mass communication, and therefore provide a framework for analyzing media texts and the everyday experience of human communication

Because we now offer this course, the School of Heavin of Arts and Sciences will not accept a course waiver (as they did in the past) of another Communication course (such as Interpersonal Communication.) Any course that a student wants to transfer in to meet the "Communication Theory" requirement has to be similar to the course description of TESU course COM-100 (the syllabus must state theories are covered in the course) in order for the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences to accept the course to fulfill the "Communications Theory" requirement.

At this time I do not have knowledge of any school that offers "Communication Theory." You can keep on sending course syllabus from other schools that you find match the course description to TESU course COM-100.

-----

I asked for a syllabus for CSU's Foundations of Strategic Communication, but we'll see how that will work.

Saylor has COMM001: Principles of Human Communication
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • peacel
(06-04-2018, 07:19 PM)peacel Wrote: Here's an update from TESU:

-----

-----

Nice!  anxious to hear back on re Foundations of Strategic Communication.
After exploring on cvc.edu and talking with TESU, here are two courses (both offered online) that fulfill the communication theory requirement. 

Introduction to Communication Theory 
Cosumnes River College

Introduction to Communication Theory
Diablo Valley College
https://www.dvc.edu/communication/schedules/search.html (select 2018FA for the term and select COMM-180 from the course drop down menu)

Both of these are online courses, and if you're a CA resident, they seem like a great option.

Saylor's Principles of Human Communication does not fulfill the communication theory option, however, it does count as a lower level communication course, I believe (please verify just in case my memory is wrong). 
CSU didn't give me the syllabus for Foundations of Strategic Communication, and it's off my radar now -- so sorry to anyone who was interested in it. Maybe try asking CSU and TESU and see how it goes. 

On another note, I need another UL communication course (in case I miss the possible 6/30 deadline for the SL Business Communication course), so if anyone has suggestions, I'd be grateful! And for those of you who have taken SL Bus Com, what was the course load?
I've already taken Saylor Corporate Com, Mar Com TECEP, Mass Com & Society CBE, and another UL course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes peacel's post:
  • TacticalTechie
please update this thread as you find more information.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 516 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,289 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 232 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 374 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 277 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27