Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Forum - Looking for quick A.S. "Anything" Excelsior, TESU, COSC?
Hello! I've been reading this forum for a while now, but planning my "degree hacking" long before. I've looked at ways to uses WGU, UoP, TESU to get a faster/cheaper degree, and now I'm seeing COSC and Excelsior. A little background on my situation, I work in tech and do very well for myself without a degree. My priority is to get an Associates, really in anything that is A.S. and then get a Bachelors. For the time being I just need a higher education degree of any kind. I've worked with Onlinedegree.com and saw that Excelsior College may take most or all OLD courses for an A.S. in Liberal Arts. I would love to keep all of the course in one "program" so to speak, and for a generic A.S. this seems like a killer deal. My end goal is BSBA Computer Info. Studies from TESU as it appears UL credit for the whole BS program is doable.

Any thought/advice for the above plan?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
After reading some forums as well, I would be open to a BALS as well as long as I can tack something technical/business/project management on the end of it. Maybe a BALS - Management and use electives to get an undergrad Computer Information Studies (don't want to do COMPSCI math). Any other recommendations from the other Big 3?

LOL, don't go for a BALS with a General Management option, the courses are specific and it's harder to complete than what you're already looking at. You should stick with your first choice of the BSBA CIS and not wander aimlessly looking for an alternative degree. It seems you're looking at Business Admin/General Management with a concentration in CIS anyways - stick with BSBA CIS.

And in regards to the Associates. Many have completed an Associates at COSC or Excelsior and have completed their Bachelors at TESU. It won't really matter where you get the Associates/Bachelors, I would recommend at one place - if you're going for the BSBA CIS, then get the ASNSM Comp Sci also at TESU - it's free as the courses required for the CIS will hit the requirements for the ASNSM Comp Sci.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
What credits do you already have, and where are they from?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(02-10-2020, 01:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ... it's free ...

depends on your definition of free LOL
The problem with switching schools after the AA/AS is that you end up paying more than you should for the BA/BS, because you have to take a cornerstone at that 2nd school.

If you started your AA/AS with a school, and then got your BA/BS from it as well, you'd be better off.

TESU has an ASBA that transitions perfectly to a BSBA. BUT, in order to make the most of your residency waiver, you need to get your BS within a year of your AS or else you'll have to pay for the residency waiver twice ($2800). Not a good plan.

EC has an ASBA that transitions to their BSBA, but you have to take the capstone for the AS and then another one for the BS. Also not a good plan (if you went straight for the BSBA, you'd save $1500 by not having to do the AS capstone).

COSC will be your best bet. They don't have an ASBA, but you can opt for an AS, and take a bunch of business courses in the degree, making it fit into the BSBA. They don't have a CIS concentration, but I don't think it's incredibly important to get that if you're already working.

My advice though, is that you should skip all of that, including the BSBA, and get a degree at WGU. They don't have AA's, but there are lots of options in what you can get, both with a BSBA, and an IT degree.

If you could use an AAS instead of an AA or AS, you could also do Pierpont. You'd have to search this forum to find the info, but I think it would be something like $400 for a 1cr course there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • bluebooger
(02-10-2020, 01:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, don't go for a BALS with a General Management option, the courses are specific and it's harder to complete than what you're already looking at.  You should stick with your first choice of the BSBA CIS and not wander aimlessly looking for an alternative degree.  It seems you're looking at Business Admin/General Management with a concentration in CIS anyways - stick with BSBA CIS.

And in regards to the Associates.  Many have completed an Associates at COSC or Excelsior and have completed their Bachelors at TESU.  It won't really matter where you get the Associates/Bachelors, I would recommend at one place - if you're going for the BSBA CIS, then get the ASNSM Comp Sci also at TESU - it's free as the courses required for the CIS will hit the requirements for the ASNSM Comp Sci.

Sort of a side topic, but I would love to pick you mind regarding the 6 Sigma process. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
As far as AS/AA vs just going full BS/BA, it's about pay/experience increases. Just an associates give me the "credit" of 2-4 more years on my "experience" level, so it's worth it to me to just get an AS for now. WGU could be a useful perhaps or maybe the BSBA at a later date. The tip on the ASNM Comp Sci is good though...that would have the most immediate benefit.

After reading through these threads, I've found the BOG AAS option. This sounds like a good option as I can transfer everything in (Can it all be ACE, SL, SD.com?) I'm trying to piece together how it works so any guidance would be awesome.

You guys have given me some good tips and things to think about. My biggest concern is speed. What range of time frames do people get AS/AA/etc in your experience?

(02-10-2020, 06:18 PM)xicovu Wrote: After reading through these threads, I've found the BOG AAS option. This sounds like a good option as I can transfer everything in (Can it all be ACE, SL, SD.com?) I'm trying to piece together how it works so any guidance would be awesome.

You need 12 graded credits from a regionally accredited school. Everything else can be SDC/SL/CLEP/DSST/etc.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(02-11-2020, 08:55 AM)quigongene Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 06:18 PM)xicovu Wrote: After reading through these threads, I've found the BOG AAS option. This sounds like a good option as I can transfer everything in (Can it all be ACE, SL, SD.com?) I'm trying to piece together how it works so any guidance would be awesome.

You need 12 graded credits from a regionally accredited school.  Everything else can be SDC/SL/CLEP/DSST/etc.

If you're starting with no (or less than 12) RA credits you'd be better off going the COSC route for an associates in almost all cases; both for cost and speed.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 671 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,382 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 858 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 700 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,861 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455
  TESU, UMPI, EU, COSC and WGU students reen967 8 1,491 10-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: reen967
  Will Sophia automatically send transcripts to Excelsior? browniebo 2 716 08-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Last Post: browniebo
  How long does it take TESU to get the info to update? CHken92 6 1,037 05-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: CHken92