Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to TESU and need help
Good Afternoon All,

I started at TESU just a few months back. I am still trying to figure out how to move forward. I applied for a BSBA in Finance but have a lot of credits that work in other degrees too. Would it be more advantages for me to double major in Finance and General management since they are close and provide me a wider base for a career?
I have almost an equal amount of credits for a BALS or BA History. Would it be better to finish one of these degrees, then work on the Finance? 
I tried to copy and past my current evaluations but the format did not come over correctly. I saved them as pdf files and attached them below.

Currently working on 
Library Science 101 at Study.com - will complete this month
English 105 at Study.com - will complete this month
Political Science 102 - American Government - finish under evaluation

Thank you for any help that you may be able to provide

Best Regards,

Ryner

Attached Files
.pdf   BA Liberal.pdf (Size: 188.33 KB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   BSBA Finance.pdf (Size: 184.62 KB / Downloads: 13)
I'm not sure what you're going for here - do you want a degree in Finance, or a BALS? You should decide that before you do anything else. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money.

I personally do not think a GM concentration is valuable if you want a FIN concentration - especially considering you don't have credits for either degree. Instead, pick a specific concentration and go with that. GM is fine, but it doesn't show any sort of "broad" learning that an employer will appreciate more than a specific concentration, even if you don't work in Finance. I would instead consider it "generic."

As for a BALS vs. BA in History, the history is not fully able to be tested out of, and you're already pretty far along with your BALS. It's probably not worth switching.

So you really just need to ask yourself which degree you want, and then go get that before worrying about a second degree. What's the point of getting 2 unrelated degrees? If you don't have a good reason, then go with the degree that will help most in your career.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-13-2019, 04:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not sure what you're going for here - do you want a degree in Finance, or a BALS?  You should decide that before you do anything else.  Otherwise you are wasting your time and money.

I personally do not think a GM concentration is valuable if you want a FIN concentration - especially considering you don't have credits for either degree.  Instead, pick a specific concentration and go with that.  GM is fine, but it doesn't show any sort of "broad" learning that an employer will appreciate more than a specific concentration, even if you don't work in Finance.  I would instead consider it "generic."

As for a BALS vs. BA in History, the history is not fully able to be tested out of, and you're already pretty far along with your BALS.  It's probably not worth switching.

So you really just need to ask yourself which degree you want, and then go get that before worrying about a second degree.  What's the point of getting 2 unrelated degrees?  If you don't have a good reason, then go with the degree that will help most in your career.
Thank you for the response.

I want a BSBA in Finance and that is my ultimate goal. This has always been an area of study that interested me. I would like to work in personal finance when I finish.

I am considering the BALS because I need a degree to work. I have twenty years of experience in the agricultural industry with the majority of my experience in product development and operations management. I also have several AS degrees in Ag but not much of that is relevant to TESU. I find myself looking for work and having good qualifications but no degree. The lack of a degree has been a requirement in many of the places I have applied. This is why I was wondering if getting a liberal studies degree would be a remedy.

I know what I want but I am trying to solve a few financial issues by finding employment. I guess the new question is, I want a Finance degree but need to work to help with the day to day of my family's finances. Does getting a BALS help me for the near term or should I focus on what I truly want?

Best Regards,

Ryner
Many of us ended up here because we needed to check a box, but if a BSBA in Finance is your ultimate goal then stick with it.  The credit difference in what you're missing can be gained in weeks to a few months. Being that it is the Finance AOS that interests you, you'll be more motivated - there are many options for the BSBA core courses.  Plus, you'll save yourself the cost of the 2nd Capstone.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I would just pick the finance degree and work on it. Yes, you need 20 more credits for that over the BALS, but you could get those done in 6 months (maybe much less). Getting the BALS will delay your finance degree by more than that, plus cost you thousands more.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I second the suggestion to stick with the Finance degree. Keep in mind that, since TESU only confers degrees 4 times a year, there's a chance that the extra time it takes to finish the requirements won't result in a delay in when you actually have a degree.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Essentially, everyone confirmed what I was thinking and I just needed to hear from other people. I appreciate the time everyone took to write to me.

I have another set of questions for everyone. I have been asking academic advising on a per class basis if a class is acceptable for the degree. Should I do this one at a time or provide them with a list of my complete plan? I am making a plan of what I need to take and I would like to have so input once I finish, may I post the plan here for review?

Best Regards

Ryner
(03-14-2019, 01:14 PM)rynergh Wrote: Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Essentially, everyone confirmed what I was thinking and I just needed to hear from other people. I appreciate the time everyone took to write to me.

I have another set of questions for everyone. I have been asking academic advising on a per class basis if a class is acceptable for the degree. Should I do this one at a time or provide them with a list of my complete plan? I am making a plan of what I need to take and I would like to have so input once I finish, may I post the plan here for review?

Best Regards

Ryner

I would post your plan here, first because we can tell you which classes are cheaper and -- well, easier. This will save you from having to go back your advisor to check a second time.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • suzycupcake
udi Wrote:I would post your plan here, first because we can tell you which classes are cheaper and -- well, easier. This will save you from having to go back your advisor to check a second time.

Yes, I agree with this. There are many cheaper/easier/faster options, we're here to provide you some more value in your course search... have a great time deciding what courses you would like for the AOS. For the general education/free electives, I usually stick to the cheapes/easiest/fastest - mainly StraighterLine for Lower Level and Study.com for Upper Level requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Good Afternoon Everyone,

This is where I am at so far. Unfortunately, I am not too sure how to find the exact classes I need in some areas. I have mostly used Study.com but I am aware that Davar academy is an option too. I have listed what I have from transfer and what I plan to take. The green sections are completed and the blue are the sections in the TESU catalog sections. I would be glad to know what is the best way to approach the degree and courses. Please let me know if I am heading down the wrong path.

I would like to do more than two courses a month but I am only able to test twice a month at study.

I noticed that when I started my catalog year was 2017-2018 and it has since been changed to 2019. Should I ask them about this change?

Best Regards,

Ryner Hernandez

Attached Files
.xlsx   BSBAFinance.xlsx (Size: 12.26 KB / Downloads: 5)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,978 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 268 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch