Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Guidance & Advice
Hello!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this... I am currently enrolled in a local college for my Bachelor's in HR Management, but in reading through some info on here over the last year I think I may be going about this the more expensive route. I'm curious if one the Big 3 as mentioned is a faster more cost effective way for me to complete my degree. This is what I've completed so far:

CLEP - English Composition with essay & Principles of Management
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Intro to Psych, Accounting I, Intro to Stats, Intro to Business, Developing Effective Teams, Essentials Managing Conflict, Student Success, Public Speaking, Intro to Information Technology, Human Biology
Current School: Organizational Development, Human Resource Management, First Year Experience, Staffing Organizations, HRM in NonProfit Organizations

~Misty
How much is it going to cost, and how long is it going to take, for you to graduate from your local school? If it's more than $7,000, then yes, you're going to pay more. BUT, depending on how good the school is, and how good their internship programs are, it may be a good idea to continue.

But if you decide to switch, there are several options:
1) TESU
2) COSC
3) WGU

They all have their pros and cons, so you should do some research on all of them before making a decision.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-29-2020, 11:41 AM)dfrecore Wrote: How much is it going to cost, and how long is it going to take, for you to graduate from your local school?  If it's more than $7,000, then yes, you're going to pay more.  BUT, depending on how good the school is, and how good their internship programs are, it may be a good idea to continue.

1) TESU
2) COSC
3) WGU

They all have their pros and cons, so you should do some research on all of them before making a decision.
Another option would be to stay at your current school but take more clep, fast, ace etc to cut down costs. Find their policies on these things and take as much as you can. Also taking Community college courses as well. But doing this you have to know their policies first. But in the end your degree would still say "xyz" university on it, it would jsut cost less.

Also apply for scholarships and fasfa etc.

The big 3 are a good option but they arent for everyone. I was going the big 3 route but switched to a brick and morter school. It costs a little more but I dont regret a thing so far. The big 3/wgu are great but all they get you is a degree. Which can be ok for some (especially etablished working adults) but I wanted networking, internships, accountability, social events, and more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • suzycupcake
(01-29-2020, 11:52 AM)natshar Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 11:41 AM)dfrecore Wrote: How much is it going to cost, and how long is it going to take, for you to graduate from your local school?  If it's more than $7,000, then yes, you're going to pay more.  BUT, depending on how good the school is, and how good their internship programs are, it may be a good idea to continue.

1) TESU
2) COSC
3) WGU

Another option would be to stay at your current school but take more clep, fast, ace etc to cut down costs. Find their policies on these things and take as much as you can. Also taking Community college courses as well. But doing this you have to know their policies first. But in the end your degree would still say "xyz" university on it, it would jsut cost less.

Also apply for scholarships and fasfa etc.

The big 3 are a good option but they arent for everyone. I was going the big 3 route but switched to a brick and morter school. It costs a little more but I dont regret a thing so far. The big 3/wgu are great but all they get you is a degree. Which can be ok for some (especially etablished working adults) but I wanted networking, internships, accountability, social events, and more.

Thanks, I'm actually currently working full time in the Human Resources field for 10+ years, but getting passed over for promotions due to not having my degree. Which is what prompted me to start this journey last year. My concern was that the school I am currently enrolled in requires a minimum of 10 upper level classes be taken through them in order to graduate and some of the lower level classes I can't seem to find alternative ways to take them in order to cut cost. Their fees are $397 per credit so it will be around $12k to graduate with BS from them if not more due to the lower level classes I can't find.
If you're already working in the field, then the school probably doesn't matter. In which case I'd go with WGU. I'd do 90cr through Study.com (just for the ease of going through a single provider) and then enroll and finish your degree in 1 term.

If you have tuition reimbursement through your company, this is still a great option - and you'll probably pay less if you do fewer credits transferred in, but 2 terms that are in separate years (so a term starting in July, then your 2nd term in January for instance).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • mrey11
(01-29-2020, 02:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you're already working in the field, then the school probably doesn't matter.  In which case I'd go with WGU.  I'd do 90cr through Study.com (just for the ease of going through a single provider) and then enroll and finish your degree in 1 term.

If you have tuition reimbursement through your company, this is still a great option - and you'll probably pay less if you do fewer credits transferred in, but 2 terms that are in separate years (so a term starting in July, then your 2nd term in January for instance).

Thanks! I'll look into that. Smile
Which college is this you are currently attending? Do you know the amount or limit of CLEP/DSST and ACE/NCCRS credits they will accept? You can find out and then see if you can transfer in the most before you continue taking courses with them. If they only allow up to 30 credits for example, you should be able to transfer those to the Big 3/WGU since those are ACE credits mainly from Sophia.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-29-2020, 08:47 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Which college is this you are currently attending? Do you know the amount or limit of CLEP/DSST and ACE/NCCRS credits they will accept?  You can find out and then see if you can transfer in the most before you continue taking courses with them.  If they only allow up to 30 credits for example, you should be able to transfer those to the Big 3/WGU since those are ACE credits mainly from Sophia.

Wilmington University. They allow up to 90 transfer credits but the tuition is just a bit higher not to mention it's a much slower pace. Trying to find other options that may be cheaper and most importantly....faster!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Transferring Sophia Courses SophiaPrincess 32 4,753 06-20-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Composition 2 Help/Advice dreamarts 20 4,532 09-27-2022, 10:42 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU BS Cybersecurity need advice WGUcyberguy 8 1,456 07-30-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Any advice on taking Study.com's Finance 301: Corporate Finance? cdickerson0601 6 1,340 11-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice needed - looking to earn CS credits jonsnow 20 6,592 08-04-2021, 01:23 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Newbie not impressed with SL SCYankee 19 3,070 03-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Picking between two classes at SL - Advice needed. Not_a_robot_101 7 1,170 01-29-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Not_a_robot_101
  Need advice on Study.com and WGU courses nosideedison 11 4,538 11-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Last Post: nosideedison
  Reviews and Advice: Straighterline Pharmacology I and II Nightmoves5 9 4,446 06-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  PLA Mathematics Help and Advice armstrongsubero 15 2,222 12-31-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero