Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie needs advice on TESU degree-- after reading through these boards for days !
Hi all,

I've been reading around the forum for 3 days now, hours and hours at a time, but can't find what I'm looking for (a test plan for TESU BA Liberal - I saw it mentioned that one was saved to use, but was unable to find it).
However, after reading for so long, I now have a few other questions before I decide on the BA for an easy, fast, (and hopefully inexpensive!) route.
Hope someone can advise!

Back story:
I had a daughter who was killed last year, and in the process of grieving I quit a good job that I loved to start over. (It was 'now or never' combined with massive grieving!) I am going to be moving overseas to work on my daughter's dream of her foundation to teach English to lower caste and orphans in Asia to help them not be taken into slavery (with English skills- both speaking and reading/writing it is extremely difficult to be taken as a slave, for obvious reasons), as well as the former slaves who have been freed, as they need to learn it to survive after being rescued. I've already been over there twice, however, most of their govts are very strict about things like this. "Degrees are crucial to teach English". So. I need to get a degree ASAP so I can move there full time and get this going!

I really didn't care what degree, as long as it's a Bachelors (that's all they require. Bachelors of anything) but I saw a Bachelor of International Studies and thought they may be even more helpful, but not sure if it would be worth the time and expense? I have about a year, maybe 14 months max, to complete this. I am on a time crunch.
I have no college formally (did some specialized certification - 5 months of classes at a local College- to become a Certified Ophthalmic Assistant). I would be starting from scratch!
I searched and found reviews for the Do it Yourself Degree design by Jay somebody, but after searching reviews, ended up her and am thankful for being warned off that! I don't have time nor money for that mess.. HAHA

So... ok. Would it be too time consuming to do the Bachelors International Studies? I called Excelsior and they said I'd have to take 12 classes to get it, on top of the testing out for everything else. But they charge 1500$ per class! Yikes! Not too cheap, but not sure about time issues as well. Time is as important as cost for me!

Thomas Edison wouldn't answer any questions about that degree for me, so I am unsure of what they would require extra after testing out of most of it, and what the cost would be.

OR... Should I just skip that altogether and just get the Bachelors Liberal Arts and have my degree, to be done with it and move on?
It seems it's quite affordable and timely as well.

I read most of the posts said TESU is best for the fastest and cheapest route. Is that still true?

I also read 2 conflicting things and would love more clarification to decide what to do: some say to enroll in TESU and start testing, but using some of their tests will keep costs down yet have you enrolled (?), while others say don't enroll until you have 90 credits. Can someone explain the options better for me?

What would be your suggestions for me, and can anyone point me to a link (if there is one) that shows a plan of action for the Bachelor Liberal Arts degree for one who is starting from the beginning? I did a search but was unable to find it.

Thanks! :willynilly:
I have a TESU BALS plan. It's not set in stone, but will help get you started.

You can easily finish this in a year, if you are motivated. If you immediately sign up for ALEKS, and take Intermediate Algebra, then you've got 3cr for $20. ALEKS expires on 1/31, so you need to finish before then. If you can finish College Algebra as well, then take that too, and get those credits.

You can also sign up for the Insurance Ethics course, and get your ethics out of the way for free.

Then, you just need to figure out if you want to go the route of Straigherline, Study.com, Davar Academy, Shmoop, Saylor, etc. Get signed up with one of those, and start on the plan.

We can help you decide which courses to take for the Area of study once you've gotten started. But, if you're at all interested in Literature & History, you might want to sign up for Shmoop next. It's $85/mo, and they now have some good history & Lit options (UL as well).

Then, switch to Saylor, Study.com or SL and get working on those.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 43.35 KB / Downloads: 7)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For most countries in Asia, you will need a bachelors (generally in anything) to teach, yes. But you will also almost certainly need some form of TEFL/TESOL training (Teaching English as a Foreign Language/Teaching English as a Second Language). I understand that you're not doing this to make money, but even many volunteer teaching positions will require some sort of TEFL/TESOL certification if you have no experience, to ensure you can actually teach. Here is one such course.

Many will require a CELTA certification instead of a TEFL/TESOL certification, which is a bit pricey, but very similar, except you must attend courses on-site. Here is one such course.

In addition, the top-end teaching positions will require you to have some sort of teaching certificate. Here is one such course.

Long story short, a bachelors is the biggest and most expensive piece of what you need, but it isn't the only piece.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Thank you! I have signed up for ALEKS and will attempt both math classes by Jan 31. Let's hope I can get both done!

I LOVE history and literature! They're my forte, actually. I taught private school/home school support classes for almost 15 years before I went into medical, and both were my main classes, along with geography/geopolitics. (private college prep type schools don't have to have degree certification in Texas).

I have the ethics loaded now and ready to go as well.

You are awesome! Thank you so very much!
Thanks for that info!
I already have a TESOL certificate from a few years ago, but I didn't know about CELTA. I looked at it and looks like I can get one either in Texas or when I am in India.

Since I am setting up a roving English teacher system/foundation to go to the students were they are, I am not sure I'll need the teaching certificate, but will definitely look at it as well. I want this to work very well! I REALLY appreciate your advice!

If it works well, I will attempt to take it to more than one country.
Notgodot Wrote:Many will require a CELTA certification instead of a TEFL/TESOL certification, which is a bit pricey, but very similar, except you must attend courses on-site. Here is one such course.

Would I do this after I get my degree? or can I do it anytime, even without my bachelors?
BingCherry Wrote:Would I do this after I get my degree? or can I do it anytime, even without my bachelors?

You can get a CELTA without a bachelors, so scheduling is entirely up to you Smile
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Hi can someone explain what does expiry for Aleks course by certain date means?
ALEKS courses are accepted for credit because they are recommended by ACE. Those recommendations have to be renewed every few years. Since ALEKS' primary business is not college credit, they have been slow/reluctant to get renewed this time. If the expiration happens before a course is completed, then it won't be granted credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Mou Wrote:Hi can someone explain what does expiry for Aleks course by certain date means?

It just means that the ACE recommendation for credit expires on 1/31. So, if you take an ALEKS course like College Algebra, and pass before 1/31, then you can add it to your ACE transcript. If you don't pass before 1/31, then the credit recommendation expires, and you won't get college credit for it.

And once added to your ACE transcript, you are good. The credit that you earn while a course is still recommended is good forever, even if the course eventually expires. So, it doesn't disappear after 1/31 or anything.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,010 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,678 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,227 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,365 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,397 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic