Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HappyPeanut - Degree Plan
(10-22-2020, 12:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: This will depend a lot on you. If you're working full-time on your degree, you can possibly be finished at Sophia within just a couple of months. But delays in grading English Comp and/or Public Speaking could stretch that out in spite of your best efforts. It's a good idea to start with English Comp and work on other classes while you're waiting for the grades to come back. Don't do both English Comp classes or an English Comp and Public Speaking at the same time.

For the whole degree, it's not unusual to be able to finish in about a year. It could be a little less or a little more. Some people who really hustle are able to get everything done in 6 months.

Thank you! I have a job from 8 to 5 i usually wake up around 5 am to make coffee and read books. i will use this time at sophia.com. after im off i will continue. can you send me a link of the classes i need to take at sophia to complete the general ed? thank you! i will start soon!
If you're going for a BALS or a BSBA, you need to complete everything at Sophia.org EXCEPT the College Readiness and Foundations courses. The ones that don't fit into the general eds will become cheap elective credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I quit my job to take school seriously. I made a new account at Sophia to do my general ed courses. Can anybody give me a roadmap on how to get this degree fast? what classes are easy and which take last? Also, i don't have any school credits i can transfer, I will be doing everything from scratch. What to do when i'm done with Sophia. Thanks! Much love! Heart
If you're starting from scratch, with no prior schooling, and assuming you want an RA bachelor's, UMPI is probably your best option to get it done fast and cheaply. Excelsior is a possible secondary choice.

I don't have any other suggestions right now, other people have much more experience with those two schools.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
Have you looked into where you want to earn your degree from? UMPI's BLS is pretty easy to complete in under a year is you spend the time working on ACE courses and transfer in as much as possible.

https://online.umpi.edu/
(07-19-2021, 02:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you looked into where you want to earn your degree from? UMPI's BLS is pretty easy to complete in under a year is you spend the time working on ACE courses and transfer in as much as possible.

I was thinking about Charter Oak College, but i can consider UMPI!

(07-19-2021, 12:42 PM)Flelm Wrote: If you're starting from scratch, with no prior schooling, and assuming you want an RA bachelor's, UMPI is probably your best option to get it done fast and cheaply. Excelsior is a possible secondary choice.

I don't have any other suggestions right now, other people have much more experience with those two schools.

How about Thomas Edison State ? any good?
(07-19-2021, 03:24 PM)HappyPeanut Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 02:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you looked into where you want to earn your degree from? UMPI's BLS is pretty easy to complete in under a year is you spend the time working on ACE courses and transfer in as much as possible.

(07-19-2021, 12:42 PM)Flelm Wrote: If you're starting from scratch, with no prior schooling, and assuming you want an RA bachelor's, UMPI is probably your best option to get it done fast and cheaply. Excelsior is a possible secondary choice.

COSC and TESU both require 30cr from an RA school - so 24cr brought in, and then 6cr taken at each school (cornerstone and capstone).  This makes everything take longer and is more expensive because of it.

COSC also has limited the course providers they will allow.

So generally, with the Big 3:
1) EC is the easiest now because they don't require any RA credit - but they do require 30cr of UL and are picky about how they'll hand that out; price is between TESU and COSC
2) TESU requires only 15 or 18cr of UL, but they require you to bring in 24cr of RA - most expensive, but has degrees that EC and COSC don't
3) COSC requires you to bring in 24cr of RA - least expensive, requires you to create a concentration pairing that "fits", limited course providers

UMPI in comparison:
1) Less expensive than EC & TESU
2) has some interesting concentrations/minors that the others don't have
3) seems fairly lenient with ACE credit acceptance, and has an agreement with TESU that you can see online, which should guide your choices if you want Sophia

For someone with zero credit, and no set degree they want, UMPI is going to be the cheapest and fastest of the bunch.  EC is 2nd - more flexible, and doesn't require RA credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • HappyPeanut
(07-19-2021, 03:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 03:24 PM)HappyPeanut Wrote:

COSC and TESU both require 30cr from an RA school - so 24cr brought in, and then 6cr taken at each school (cornerstone and capstone).  This makes everything take longer and is more expensive because of it.

COSC also has limited the course providers they will allow.

So generally, with the Big 3:
1) EC is the easiest now because they don't require any RA credit - but they do require 30cr of UL and are picky about how they'll hand that out; price is between TESU and COSC
2) TESU requires only 15 or 18cr of UL, but they require you to bring in 24cr of RA - most expensive, but has degrees that EC and COSC don't
3) COSC requires you to bring in 24cr of RA - least expensive, requires you to create a concentration pairing that "fits", limited course providers

UMPI in comparison:
1) Less expensive than EC & TESU
2) has some interesting concentrations/minors that the others don't have
3) seems fairly lenient with ACE credit acceptance, and has an agreement with TESU that you can see online, which should guide your choices if you want Sophia

For someone with zero credit, and no set degree they want, UMPI is going to be the cheapest and fastest of the bunch.  EC is 2nd - more flexible, and doesn't require RA credit.

Thank you so much for the info! i will try out UMPI! i just got started today at Sophia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 97 22 minutes ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,212 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,927 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 217 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 210 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,173 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 525 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,308 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 172 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM