Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nichols College BS in Business Administration
Nichols College is offering an online CBE Bachelors of Science in Business Administration: https://www.nichols.edu/degree-programs/...t-degrees/

There's a flat-rate of $6000 per year, and the concentration is in Management. You need 24 RA credits to apply to the program (though it's mentioned that they'll work with you if you don't have it yet, so its worth it to inquire if you don't have the credits). They partner with SDC (where you can transfer 30 credits) and Straighterline (where they take up to 24 courses as credit) as their current sources of alternative credit. You can transfer in a maximum of 90 credits for their CBE program, and must complete 30 credits through their program. 

Note that the link lists additional concentrations for their BSBA, however that's meant for their traditional online program, not the CBE. However it's worth to note that you can take up to 5 classes from the traditional program, so perhaps someone can confirm for us whether someone can get an additional concentration either from transferring in credits, or from taking credits from the traditional program.

Nichols College is a private brick and mortar college in Dudley, Massachusetts. It's regionally accredited and currently seeking AACSB accreditation for it's business programs.

This may be a good alternative for an undergraduate business degree to UMPI! The program is relatively new, beginning during the pandemic in 2020 which is why there's not much information online. My questions are whether the coursework is letter graded or whether it's a pass-fail model, as well as whether CBE graduates are eligible for academic honors.

Any questions, comments, or additional info about the school, post them here!
[-] The following 1 user Likes karehiro's post:
  • Tedium
Their SDC partnership page is here: https://study.com/college/school/nichols-college.html

SL's equivalency page is here: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

I don't see anything about 60 credits from SL, but I do see "60 courses to choose from". Though, on the equivalency page, I only count 24 courses. Someone forgot to proofread something, somewhere.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-16-2022, 02:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Their SDC partnership page is here: https://study.com/college/school/nichols-college.html

SL's equivalency page is here: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

I don't see anything about 60 credits from SL, but I do see "60 courses to choose from". Though, on the equivalency page, I only count 24 courses. Someone forgot to proofread something, somewhere.
Thanks, I'll edit the post to reflect that!
I'm curious what the learning platform is and who the college is that they partnered with for the gen ed reqs. UMPI uses the Strut Learning platform.
I wonder if that $6000/yr is 52 weeks, or a "school year" like 9 months?

If it's 52 weeks, then the weekly cost is only $115/wk, which is the cheapest option out there (tied with NAU).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Vle045
I received a response and got answers to my questions. Here's additional info:

-The max credits a transfer student can receive from CLEP, DANTES, Straighterline, Study.com sources is 30 credits. Nichols College does partner with a college in Texas for students to take their gen eds if it's necessary, however most students have the gen ed requirements fulfilled before starting.  For any unfilled gen ed requirements, students fill it through the undergraduate adult evening program or through a source such as Study.com. Nichols can also offer up to 45 credits for prior learning.

-The CBE program uses Canvas as the learning management system. The courses are designed with pre and post assessments. Pre-assessments gauge the students initial level of understanding and post-assessments are designed to assess for mastery. Post-assessments can be essays, quizzes, videos, or individual projects. Everything is done online and independently but all work is facilitator led

-Management is the only concentration that the CBE program offers, however the diplomas just state Bachelor of Science in Business Administration so whether a student has a concentration in management, criminal justice, or accounting, and whether it's done through traditional day program or via CBE, the diploma states the same thing regardless.

-Students do receive a letter grade for courses on their transcripts, not pass/fail. Students need an 80 or above to pass so students get whatever letter grade is associated with the numeric grade, for example an 85 is a B, 91 is an A-, etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes karehiro's post:
  • ss20ts
Interesting that a school in Massachusetts partnered with a school in Texas! Canvas is used by many schools for online courses. They're on the low end of alternative credits when compared to UMPI and the Big 3, but that's normal. Did you find out if they mean a full 12 months/52 weeks for the $6000?
(01-18-2022, 01:13 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Interesting that a school in Massachusetts partnered with a school in Texas! Canvas is used by many schools for online courses. They're on the low end of alternative credits when compared to UMPI and the Big 3, but that's normal. Did you find out if they mean a full 12 months/52 weeks for the $6000?

I didn't ask if it meant a full 12 months however here are the CBE sequence (here:
.pdf   CBE-Course-Sequence-BSBA-MGMT.pdf (Size: 210.08 KB / Downloads: 25) ) and calendar (here:
.pdf   CBE-Calendar-Dates.pdf (Size: 128.01 KB / Downloads: 11) ), both of which I'm attaching. Since it states that an annual calendar is six sessions for the CBE, then my understanding is that the subscription pays for six sessions (each 7 weeks). And every session offers all the courses needed for the degree so there's no alternative sequencing of classes to be concerned about as well.
(01-18-2022, 01:36 PM)karehiro Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 01:13 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Interesting that a school in Massachusetts partnered with a school in Texas! Canvas is used by many schools for online courses. They're on the low end of alternative credits when compared to UMPI and the Big 3, but that's normal. Did you find out if they mean a full 12 months/52 weeks for the $6000?

I didn't ask if it meant a full 12 months however here are the CBE sequence (hereSmile and calendar (hereSmile, both of which I'm attaching. Since it states that an annual calendar is six sessions for the CBE, then my understanding is that the subscription pays for six sessions (each 7 weeks). And every session offers all the courses needed for the degree so there's no alternative sequencing of classes to be concerned about as well.

Thats would only be 42 weeks not nearly a full year. On multiple areas of the website they say that it's $6000 for annual tuition. If it's 6 sessions and 7 weeks then it's the same number of sessions and fewer weeks than UMPI. I know you were looking at UMPI. UMPI is 8 weeks and there are 6 sessions a year. I've been told that UMPI is now offering every course in both sessions now. I haven't checked with my advisor on this yet, but the Marketing Concentration was like this last fall when it started. There's definitely more students in YourPace and a lot of new faculty from other U of M campuses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Holmes
So it's 42 weeks over a full year - there's a week off in between most sessions, with an additional week for a few sessions (2 weeks of for Christmas, a week of for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for spring break, etc.). Makes sense. I feel like it's a very fair pricing, and gives most people the time off they would want if going year-round.

You end up paying $142/week, and $6,000 for a full year. If you went a full year at UMPI, you'd end up paying $8,400. It really depends on how many credits you're bringing in, though, and I have a feeling most people going to UMPI don't need to pay for a full year with all of the ACE credit they can bring in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 260 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 332 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 378 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  College Mascots ItsNeverTheLionsYear 17 883 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  Snow College accelerated AS - review/help IReallyNeedADegree 43 3,035 03-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  What is the best college/option for me? ZKL111 20 2,089 03-17-2023, 02:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Age 55 and older discounts for online college? pluggingalong 4 785 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  South Texas College gams007 3 1,844 09-29-2022, 11:47 PM
  (Not free) ECTS in Business, Philosophy, and more rachel83az 1 1,000 09-21-2022, 12:18 PM
  Garden City Community College - $150/cr, books included rachel83az 1 642 08-25-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore