Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nigerian Teen gets accepted into all IVY League Schools
If this student were a white woman, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Quote:Who are the Intended Beneficiaries of Affirmative Action?

Contrary to popular belief, African Americans are not the sole, or even the primary, beneficiaries of affirmative action. Rather, a wide range of groups have benefited from these policies which promote equality by directing resources, outreach and other opportunities to targeted under represented communities.

These groups include women, Blacks/African Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Asians/Pacific Islanders, and American Indians/Alaskan Natives. Other underrepresented groups include veterans, disabled veterans, veterans who served on active duty during a war or campaign, veterans who participated in a military operation for which an armed services medal was awarded, pursuant to Executive Order 12985; and recently, separated veterans.

According to the United States Labor Department, the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women. The Department of Labor estimated that 6 million women workers are in higher occupational classifications today than they would have been without affirmative action policies.

Who are the Intended Beneficiaries of Affirmative Action? [NC State University Affirmative Action in Employment Training]

Quote:Most of the influx has come at public institutions, which receive funding from federal and state governments. Such colleges are pressured to increase their white enrollment — even as affirmative-action requirements at some other universities are waning.

"It is an odd and dubious legality that institutions that have not excluded anyone" are now forced to recruit white students, said Lezli Baskerville of the National Association for Equal Opportunity in Education.

Tennessee State University, for instance, was at one point under court order to increase its non-black enrollment to 50 percent. The court eventually dropped that requirement, and the school has agreed to earmark $924,000 a year for scholarships to white students.

Three universities in Mississippi — Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State — must increase white enrollments to at least 10 percent and maintain that level for three years before receiving a portion of $524 million in state funds for school improvements provided in a federal court settlement, officials said. An effort to overturn that settlement reached in Ayers v. Fordice, a landmark desegregation case for colleges, was rejected Oct.18 by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Nation & World | White students at black colleges: a course of a different color | Seattle Times Newspaper

This is not related to colleges. Discrimination in the workplace still exists even with AA.

Quote:The results indicate large racial differences in callback rates to a phone line with a voice mailbox attached and a message recorded by someone of the appropriate race and gender. Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback. This would suggest either employer prejudice or employer perception that race signals lower productivity.

The 50 percent gap in callback rates is statistically very significant, Bertrand and Mullainathan note in Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination (NBER Working Paper No. 9873).

Employers' Replies to Racial Names

People have this misconception that it's easy to get into a government job if you're a female minority. There are really only two things that great increase your chances of getting a federal government job: veterans' preference points and Indian preference for jobs in the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I'm a black woman with a master's degree who has applied to hundreds of federal government jobs and only received one interview after passing two exams for one position. I scored high on other civil service exams, but was not able to compete with applicants who received veterans' preference points. I have no problem with veterans' preference; I'm just describing how the system really works.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:If this student were a white woman, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Eh, I'd say it's because it just doesn't happen that much if practically ever. There was that white girl, Elizabeth Holmes, who created a biotech company called Theranos and is now a billionaire. Typical child prodigy, really smart, went to Stanford, etc but I don't think she got into several ivy leagues.

Quote:Who are the Intended Beneficiaries of Affirmative Action? [NC State University Affirmative Action in Employment Training]

That's simply because women represent about 50% of the total population, and also include underrepresented minorities. Blacks as a whole are about 45 million, so naturally more women are going to get affirmative action-based policies.

But the point that's being made is that as far as getting a "boost" goes - being native american/black + woman = best chances for opportunity, and then it goes down from there. I think being black + male still gives you a better advantage for ivy league schools than being a white woman, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

In other words, not all minorities are treated equally. More women get affirmative action but generally not to the degree/level that Native Americans or blacks do (for historical reasons of course) i.e. quantity/quality in the effect.

sanantone Wrote:People have this misconception that it's easy to get into a government job if you're a female minority. There are really only two things that great increase your chances of getting a federal government job: veterans' preference points and Indian preference for jobs in the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I'm a black woman with a master's degree who has applied to hundreds of federal government jobs and only received one interview after passing two exams for one position. I scored high on other civil service exams, but was not able to compete with applicants who received veterans' preference points. I have no problem with veterans' preference; I'm just describing how the system really works.

[URL="http://govcentral.monster.com/benefits/articles/387-federal-workforce-diversity-why-agencies-seek-out-minority-workers"]If you're looking for a government job, being black seems to help.

[/URL]
"African Americans make up 17.4 percent of the federal workforce, as compared to 10.1 percent of the civilian labor force. But the percentage of African Americans drops dramatically with each rise in job grade. They hold 27.6 percent of the lowest positions (GS 1-4), 25.8 percent of GS 5-8, 15.7 percent of GS 9-12, 10.9 percent of GS 13-15 and just 6.9 percent of Senior Pay levels."

Maybe it's just my experience, but whenever I go to the Post Office, DMV, Social Security office, etc. there are more blacks and/or hispanics than what I see in the private sector.

[video=youtube;Yz3bDON9bNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3bDON9bNo[/video]

Maybe try looking into state jobs. NY and CA are good places to look. In general, however, government jobs take a long time to join typically 2 - 4 years given how slow, and bureaucratically they operate. In general, it doesn't happen for a couple of years to get off of eligibility lists.
KittenMittens Wrote:Eh, I'd say it's because it just doesn't happen that much if practically ever. There was that white girl, Elizabeth Holmes, who created a biotech company called Theranos and is now a billionaire. Typical child prodigy, really smart, went to Stanford, etc but I don't think she got into several ivy leagues.

That's simply because women represent about 50% of the total population, and also include underrepresented minorities. Blacks as a whole are about 45 million, so naturally more women are going to get affirmative action-based policies.

I was specifically talking about white women.

Quote:But the point that's being made is that as far as getting a "boost" goes - being native american/black + woman = best chances for opportunity, and then it goes down from there. I think being black + male still gives you a better advantage for ivy league schools than being a white woman, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

In other words, not all minorities are treated equally. More women get affirmative action but generally not to the degree/level that Native Americans or blacks do (for historical reasons of course) i.e. quantity/quality in the effect.

[URL="http://govcentral.monster.com/benefits/articles/387-federal-workforce-diversity-why-agencies-seek-out-minority-workers"]If you're looking for a government job, being black or hispanic definitely helps.

[/URL]
"African Americans make up 17.4 percent of the federal workforce, as compared to 10.1 percent of the civilian labor force. But the percentage of African Americans drops dramatically with each rise in job grade. They hold 27.6 percent of the lowest positions (GS 1-4), 25.8 percent of GS 5-8, 15.7 percent of GS 9-12, 10.9 percent of GS 13-15 and just 6.9 percent of Senior Pay levels."

Maybe it's just my experience, but whenever I go to the Post Office, DMV, Social Security office, etc. there are more blacks and/or hispanics than what I see in the private sector.

[video=youtube;Yz3bDON9bNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3bDON9bNo[/video]

Maybe try looking into state jobs. NY and CA are good places to look.

Blacks flock to government jobs because there is less discrimination in the public sector than in the private sector. When blacks go to college, they are more likely to choose a major that is related to public sector and non-profit jobs. I know that I started directing my efforts to applying to government jobs because 1. I have a degree in social science and 2. The civil service tests that are often given knock off a layer of discrimination. Even when blacks major in STEM, however, their unemployment and underemployment rates are higher than other races with STEM degrees. This may or may not have to do with discrimination. It could be that blacks don't have a network that taps into the good ol' boy's club or that they aren't attending the colleges from which companies prefer to recruit. But, with the way people tout AA as giving an unfair advantage to blacks, one would think that a black person with a STEM degree would have a very easy time finding a job. Maybe they are living in cities with less jobs. Don't know, but it's not as easy as non-blacks make it out to be.

Quote:Even degrees in science, technology, engineering and math — so-called STEM fields where the demand is high — have not immunized recent black graduates against job search difficulty. From 2010 to 2012, the average unemployment rate among young black engineers was 10 percent, the center reported, while the underemployment rate was 32 percent.

The evidence suggests that black graduates, with fewer resources to fall back on, are even more aggressive than whites in pursuing a job. But that hasn’t been enough to overcome obstacles.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/busine...yment.html

In reference to what you added in your last edit, I have applied for jobs in all levels of government. I did this for a few years until I started my PhD program. Since there is a shortage of people with PhDs in Criminal Justice/Criminology, I don't expect to have a hard time finding a job in academia. Or, I could go into law enforcement where the hiring process is almost completely based on testing. I was about to start a police academy last year after passing all of the testing for a police department, but the scheduling interfered with my doctoral courses. I don't see the point of posting that YouTube video here other than to reinforce stereotypes.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schools in America Now Becoming More Insane Than North Korea LevelUP 20 2,387 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 504 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Faced with a desperate skills shortage, tech leaders plead for CS reform in schools MNomadic 5 721 07-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Ivy League Bomb Threat Alpha 4 741 11-08-2021, 01:10 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Southern China new hotspot for British schools bjcheung77 3 1,009 04-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Globeducate acquires three schools in Europe bjcheung77 1 803 03-30-2021, 05:51 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Modi wants Ivy League Education bjcheung77 1 681 10-19-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  New Free Medical Schools sanantone 12 4,715 10-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Free Ivy League courses Muldoon 3 1,909 11-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  WOWZAH! I GOT ACCEPTED!! Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarship! bjcheung77 8 1,923 12-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Johann