Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No CLEPs Until 2021!!
So this happened....

I called one of the colleges near me. Turns out they aren't offering over any CLEPs all summer... but also no CLEPs all fall semester as well!! Meaning they won't offer any CLEPs at all for anyone until January 2021 at the earliest. And that information is coming from the head at test center. The test center is basically closed and only open for essential tests required students that attend that specific college. Hope this isn't a trend for other colleges.

But then I called a second college and got a CLEP for next week. The second school is only a 10 minute drive from the first and in the same state and county. So who knows how it all works?
(06-09-2020, 06:25 PM)natshar Wrote: So this happened....

I called one of the colleges near me. Turns out they aren't offering over any CLEPs all summer... but also no CLEPs all fall semester as well!! Meaning they won't offer any CLEPs at all for anyone until January 2021 at the earliest. And that information is coming from the head at test center. The test center is basically closed and only open for essential tests required students that attend that specific college. Hope this isn't a trend for other colleges.

But then I called a second college and got a CLEP for next week. The second school is only a 10 minute drive from the first and in the same state and county. So who knows how it all works?

Nearly all of the colleges in this area closed their testing centers to non-students a few years ago. This is why I stopped taking CLEP & DSST exams since I'd be forced to travel like an hour each way to the next closest open test center.

Of course, now with the pandemic, I'd not expect them to be reopening test centers any time soon. I think hoping for them to re-open before Spring is being optimistic unless they can make some major changes to how those test centers are set up. Most of the ones I've been to are small cramped rooms with poor air circulation and terrible for physical distancing for multiple hours at a time.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-09-2020, 08:33 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Nearly all of the colleges in this area closed their testing centers to non-students a few years ago. This is why I stopped taking CLEP & DSST exams since I'd be forced to travel like an hour each way to the next closest open test center.

Of course, now with the pandemic, I'd not expect them to be reopening test centers any time soon. I think hoping for them to re-open before Spring is being optimistic unless they can make some major changes to how those test centers are set up. Most of the ones I've been to are small cramped rooms with poor air circulation and terrible for physical distancing for multiple hours at a time.

Yeah but the crazy thing is this test center isn't even doing CLEPs or DSSTs for their students. I know some schools do that. But they told me no CLEPs for anyone at all. Their test center will be extremely limited. Only important required tests for students and that is all, nothing else. I think placement tests will even be online.

But when I say schools "near me" I actually do have to drive an hour to take my clep. The two schools I referred to are in a neighboring state since none in my state is open that I know of. Normally I wouldn't drive an hour for a CLEP, but this is worth it considering I need the credit asap. And I have no idea if this pandemic gets worse if they close it all down again, I can't take that risk.

It depends on the college. I have taken CLEPs at three different colleges. One of them had private room and it was very large, maybe it wasn't meant to be private but the two times I went there I was the only one the whole time. This was two years ago, truly ahead of the times.

The school I'm taking the CLEP at next week, told me now CLEPs are by appointment only and on an extremely limited basis. I am going to be the only one taking a CLEP test when I  am there. I don't know how many other test takers would be there considering it is summer and all summer classes are online and they aren't allowing normal student tests in the center for now. There is good chance I could be the only one in the test center. I feel safe about this.
(06-09-2020, 09:03 PM)natshar Wrote: The school I'm taking the CLEP at next week, told me now CLEPs are by appointment only and on an extremely limited basis. I am going to be the only one taking a CLEP test when I  am there. I don't know how many other test takers would be there considering it is summer and all summer classes are online and they aren't allowing normal student tests in the center for now. There is good chance I could be the only one in the test center. I feel safe about this.

Yeah, if it's just you that should be fine as long as the proctor is wearing a mask and they are taking sanitary precautions, etc.

When I took my CLEP and DSST exams there were always like a dozen people in the room with me. Half the time the AC didn't work well, so after a while the room started to smell like B.O. It was pretty terrible.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
To me, you're lucky to find a testing center that's open. None around me are and won't be for who knows how long. Colleges and schools still can't open in NY and that's where most testing centers are located. I looked and the closest one to me is an hour away. There are several an hour plus away and they're all closed. I feel awful for anyone who's prepared for a CLEP test and hasn't been able to take it.
I just read on Homeschooling for College Credit that 40 Air Force Bases are offering CLEP and DSST exams. You need to get someone to sponsor you for a day pass to get on the base. https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...g-centers/
It's hit or miss where I live. There are a few test centers within 50 miles that are back in business however, the large colleges are administering tests only to enrolled students while some of the smaller schools are opening up to the public on a limited basis.
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

Can students sign a petition for CLEP to be taken online as a proctored exam? I don't see how different it is from any proctored exam, the proctor for CLEP is not even in same room most of the times.
The closest CLEP center to me is an hour away so this was never really a good option for me, but I know it's sucky for those of you who were counting on it
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(06-25-2020, 11:55 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:

Can students sign a petition for CLEP to be taken online as a proctored exam? I don't see how different it is from any proctored exam, the proctor for CLEP is not even in same room most of the times.

You can sign all the petitions you want. Doesn't mean they're going to make any changes. CLEP is not set up for an online exam. They're stuck in 1970.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strayer's challenge exams: CIS375 - Human Computer Interaction (Dec. 2021) carrythenothing 8 2,051 12-15-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: jch
Question CLEPS to an Associate Certificate ? kerigenjaan 6 1,378 06-12-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: P226mem