Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No credits to degree
Hello fellow degree seekers,

Like most of you I imagine I got here by searching for fastest way to get a bachelors degree starting from scratch.

I graduated high school in Philippines and have been living in New York since 1995.

I worked my way through the ranks at the company but hit a road block.

I have been passed up for promotion to director two times and after speaking to the VP I was told it was because I lack the checkbox for business administration degree. 

I have access to tuition reimbursement ($5250/year), and I understand It would cost more than that so i would have to pay out of pocket.

Based on what I was able to piece together starting from scratch my best options would be TESU and WGU?

I read about using straighterline and study.com and some other providers to take test and transfer credits into TESU or WGU.

Does anyone have updated and fastest way to get to the bachelors in business administration?

I appreciate any and all help you can provide. 

Do I need to get my high school degree from Philippines certified through WES for admission?
Can i get any credit for speaking Tagalog? 

Thank you for taking time to share degree plan, cost and timeline. 

Joel
This question I can answer
Do I need to get my high school degree from Philippines certified through WES for admission?
You still need to certified your high school transcript from WES, it will need for submitting the application and you need your high school diploma.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

If I were you, I would do WGU, and do the entire degree through them since it will be free for you if you can finish in 2 terms.

1) Start some time this year July 1 or later for your first term. About $3000.
2) Start the next term immediately, it will be Jan 1 2021 or later. About $3000.
Your tuition reimbursement is usually calendar year, so just make sure your terms are in 2 different years.

Now, if you want to get started before that on courses, to lighten the loan, you can see if tuition reimbursement will work on ACE credit (WGU only takes ACE). Some companies will do it if you can show that the school will take those courses.

Or you could use ModernStates/CLEP for a bunch of stuff; Financial Acct, Business Law, Management, Marketing, College Comp, Humanities/Lit, US History I or II, College Algebra, Sociology, Macro & Microecon. Those would all be free to do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • allvia
Listen to dfrecore, it's your best option.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(02-11-2020, 12:29 AM)backtoschool2020 Wrote: Hello fellow degree seekers,

Like most of you I imagine I got here by searching for fastest way to get a bachelors degree starting from scratch.

I graduated high school in Philippines and have been living in New York since 1995.

I have been passed up for promotion to director two times and after speaking to the VP I was told it was because I lack the checkbox for business administration degree. 

I have access to tuition reimbursement ($5250/year), and I understand It would cost more than that so i would have to pay out of pocket.

Based on what I was able to piece together starting from scratch my best options would be TESU and WGU?

I read about using straighterline and study.com and some other providers to take test and transfer credits into TESU or WGU.

Does anyone have updated and fastest way to get to the bachelors in business administration?

Do I need to get my high school degree from Philippines certified through WES for admission?

Joel

(02-11-2020, 12:29 AM)backtoschool2020 Wrote: Hello fellow degree seekers,

Joel

Hi Joel,
I started going back to school online at SNHU back in March 2019 with 56 credits transferred in towards a BS in Business Admin. They've taken all my CLEP tests and transferred every credit in from previous schools, even from my AP exam in high school in 1995. I will have 91 credits at the end of this month, and plan to graduate this December. I plan on taking 3 more CLEPs too. I've pretty much solely used InstantCert for all my CLEPS, study for 2 weeks give or take and then take my test.  At Southern New Hampshire University, the advisors are super helpful and the professors want you to succeed and have the patience to help you. CLEP as many as you can! It will save over one year of tuition.

TESU is also a good option, my husband gradurated from their and was able to transfer a lot of work experience from the Navy(nuclear engineering) in for credits. He used the VA Bill to pay for what credits he still had to complete, and had enough left over from the VA Bill to also pay for 75% of his masters degree. 

Best of luck and I hope my input is helpful.

Jennifer
(02-11-2020, 10:33 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If I were you, I would do WGU, and do the entire degree through them since it will be free for you if you can finish in 2 terms.

1) Start some time this year July 1 or later for your first term. About $3000.
2) Start the next term immediately, it will be Jan 1 2021 or later. About $3000.
Your tuition reimbursement is usually calendar year, so just make sure your terms are in 2 different years.

Now, if you want to get started before that on courses, to lighten the loan, you can see if tuition reimbursement will work on ACE credit (WGU only takes ACE).  Some companies will do it if you can show that the school will take those courses.

Or you could use ModernStates/CLEP for a bunch of stuff; Financial Acct, Business Law, Management, Marketing, College Comp, Humanities/Lit, US History I or II, College Algebra, Sociology, Macro & Microecon.  Those would all be free to do.

Keep in mind your tuition reimbursement setup will vary by employer, so make sure you understand their process. at my employer, dfrecore's calendar would have me paying for some of the second term out of pocket due to the timing.

For mine, I would want to FINISH term 1 before year end with plenty of time for manager and HR approvals (I can not submit for reimbursement until i show that i have finished and passed). If I submit in mid december 2020 and they take until jan 2021 to approve (it happens!), then that counts towards my 2021 reimbursement budget. Then if i start term 2 in jan and finish in July, that will also be in my 2021 budget, and would go over the allowed amount ($5000 in my case, just slightly under your budget).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Yes, I would discuss the tuition reimbursement with my employer to make sure that I'm taking full advantage, and that may mean shifting some things to make sure that your terms are in 2 separate "years" be it when they start, when they end, if they use calendar year, or fiscal year, etc.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So much great information, thank you all for quick replies.

Tuition reimbursement would be per calendar year.

You mentioned lightening the load using other content providers before starting at WGU.
What is the limit I could take to transfer into WGU before starting my first semester.

Is there a plan that includes what classes I could take at straighterline and other provides to transfer to WGU.
I would like to maximize credits I bring and I would do those first to get warmed up for WGU classes that can not be taken elsewhere.

I spoke to HR and they would cover cost of alternative providers as long as it goes towards the degree and does not exceed yearly limit.

Thank you again for all the help

Today I will start the process with WES to get my high school diploma certified and start alternative courses as soon as possible while waiting for them to process the high school diploma
WGU will take 90cr, but make sure that you complete all courses and transfer in everything prior to ENROLLING. They will not take additional credits once you've enrolled.

I'm giving you this link with a caveat: they JUST changed the business degrees, and have made some changes to the requirements, but haven't updated this form. So, you'd want to compare this to the new requirements on their website, to make sure that you're not taking more courses than you need/can use. But if you start now, you can probably get through a bunch of things you need while waiting for them to update this: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...993&pid=99

Plan carefully, as you have a limited budget ($5250/yr). If done right you can maximize your time of SL to make sure that you're taking the longest courses, you can find there, saving the shorter ones for WGU. Also, think about CLEP, as they have tons of options that your work will pay for as well. I'd do a combination of SL and CLEP if you can.
I will keep an eye for updates to the link as they update their program in upcoming weeks.

If I am reading correctly I could get maximum of 63 credits from straighter line towards WGU based not counting any potential changes due to program update they went through.

As far as clep on college boars site it does not list WGU as taking any, is there another list that would let me know which CLEPs would be taken for which WGU class? closest i could find is this link from degreeforums https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/nursing-h...html#close

Also for the remainder of courses not covered by straighterline to reach the 90cr transfer in limit before starting what would be the content providers? study.com , davar ? or someone else?

Sorry for all the questions, just would like to maximize and start on completing those 90 credits while waiting for WES to evaluate my high school diploma.

Thank you for your patience with the newbie.

Does anyone know if study.com list here is still up to date on transfer equivalency at WGU?

https://study.com/college/school/western...rsity.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 478 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 765 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso