Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No degree to MBA-HR in 20 months - Nodaclu's Progress Thread
How hard has the capstone been for you?
Any feedback in terms of weekly amount of work it's taking you to complete? Where did you obtain most of your source information?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(10-17-2018, 01:10 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: How hard has the capstone been for you?
Any feedback in terms of weekly amount of work it's taking you to complete? Where did you obtain most of your source information?

It's hard to explain...it's been hard for me because I haven't written a formal research paper in 25 years. But do I think it's hard in general? No, not at all.

I also had an advantage in that I picked a topic that tied in to my profession, so I started with a strong body of knowledge. This reduced my personal workload in creating the paper. In total, I probably have about 20 hours total into it.

For most people, I'm guessing 4-5 hours per week should be plenty. Over a 12 week class, that's 48-60 hours of work on the paper. 60 minutes a night, 5 nights a week feels like plenty, and also doesn't feel unreasonable at all.

It's not easy, but it isn't overwhelming or impossible either. You can do it! Smile

Just registered for my last two classes!!
  • UExcel PSYX325 - Social Psychology
  • UExcel PSYX365 - Research Methods in Psychology
I'm still in utter disbelief that at just a hair under 31 years since graduating from high school, I'm finally going to be a college graduate.  Big Grin Big Grin
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 5 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • alab21, davewill, MSK9, Muldoon, quigongene
Yay! I've been waiting to see this thread updated!
Once the capstone was complete a huge weight had been lifted. Food tasted better, colors were brighter, the air was cleaner -- life was just better.
Can't wait to read about your next steps!
[-] The following 5 users Like triforce828's post:
  • allvia, dfrecore, Johmford, Muldoon, Nodaclu
Congratulations!! What a journey!
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • Nodaclu
(10-17-2018, 05:20 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: I'm still in utter disbelief that at just a hair under 31 years since graduating from high school, I'm finally going to be a college graduate.  Big Grin Big Grin

Sounds like you're a bit younger than me, and I'm pretty much in the same place. I'm finishing up my last two courses before my Capstone starts in two weeks and then I'll be ready to graduate as well. It looks like we're both aiming for a March graduation too. Smile

I'm not looking forward to the capstone for many of the same reasons you expressed, but I'm hoping it won't be as big of a challenge as I imagine once I get into it. But I'm busting my butt to clear my schedule before it starts so I won't have to deal with distractions during the course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • davewill, Nodaclu
Congratulations on nearing the finish line!!

If you can get past the mental hurdles of the Capstone, then it really isn't that bad at all. Chapters 1, 4 and 5 were easy for me. Chapters 2 was a slog, and Chapter 3 was confusing.

But somehow, at the end of it all, I still ended up with a 40 page paper that I'll be finalizing over the next few days. My average for the class going into my final is right around 95%.

You can do it! And if you run into any questions or concerns along the way, please feel free to reach out. I'm happy to help in any way that I can. Smile
120/120 units complete

[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • Merlin
(10-18-2018, 03:46 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 05:20 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: I'm still in utter disbelief that at just a hair under 31 years since graduating from high school, I'm finally going to be a college graduate.  Big Grin Big Grin

Sounds like you're a bit younger than me, and I'm pretty much in the same place. I'm finishing up my last two courses before my Capstone starts in two weeks and then I'll be ready to graduate as well. It looks like we're both aiming for a March graduation too. Smile

I'm not looking forward to the capstone for many of the same reasons you expressed, but I'm hoping it won't be as big of a challenge as I imagine once I get into it. But I'm busting my butt to clear my schedule before it starts so I won't have to deal with distractions during the course.

I was very concerned going in, but as I did each module, and got the feedback for it, things got progressively clearer. Once you get the research questions lined up, the rest of the effort just revolves around them.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-18-2018, 11:06 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Congratulations on nearing the finish line!!

If you can get past the mental hurdles of the Capstone, then it really isn't that bad at all.

[...]

You can do it! And if you run into any questions or concerns along the way, please feel free to reach out. I'm happy to help in any way that I can. Smile

Thanks!

I'm sure I'm more anxious than I should be. Considering I've managed to complete more than 100 credits in the last 8 months, this should be a cake walk. But I think the problem comes back to my original college experience from 30 odd years ago. I remember how much I hated the formal class approach; I do so much better in a self-paced environment.

(10-19-2018, 12:45 PM)davewill Wrote: I was very concerned going in, but as I did each module, and got the feedback for it, things got progressively clearer. Once you get the research questions lined up, the rest of the effort just revolves around them.

While I'm sure the capstone that Nodaclu, you, and I have are different, I'm assuming the concept and approach is probably the same for each. I'm generally a pretty good student but papers can be my kryptonite. I tend to fall into analysis paralysis if I'm not careful. While I enjoy doing research in a professional setting, I tend to have problems with academic research and source management for some reason. These are all things I can control, but they still factor into my pre-capstone anxiety. As you said, once things start moving I'm sure I'll relax a bit. It would be nice if I could actually have fun in the course.

At least after knocking out the C programming course last night, I only have one more course to complete for my AOS now and I'll be free and clear for the capstone. So that lowers my anxiety a bit. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
As an update - my final grade for my Capstone was just posted. I ended up with a 98 on my final, and a 96 for the class overall!  Big Grin

Just have to wrap up these last two UExcel classes now. I really miss the guided format of Study.com on these. I sure wish their versions of these classes were approved for upper-level. I'd already be done right now if they were...
120/120 units complete

[-] The following 5 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • alab21, dfrecore, Life Long Learning, Muldoon, triforce828
(11-03-2018, 12:05 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: As an update - my final grade for my Capstone was just posted. I ended up with a 98 on my final, and a 96 for the class overall!  Big Grin

Just have to wrap up these last two UExcel classes now. I really miss the guided format of Study.com on these. I sure wish their versions of these classes were approved for upper-level. I'd already be done right now if they were...

I’m so happy for you! I read your complete thread this morning. It’s been a page turner! Smile I found myself cheering you on, hoping you could overcome your frustrations (that I too share) with the moving target and praying for a happy ending. I look forward to your denouement!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • Nodaclu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 665 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 278 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 635 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,782 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 571 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 285 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 861 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 504 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,239 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM