Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No degree to MBA-HR in 20 months - Nodaclu's Progress Thread
So I thought I would keep a journal/thread both to track my own progress, and for others to follow if they have any interest.  Wink

---

Today is December 7, 2017.

As of this date, I have completed 77 semester units toward a Bachelor's Degree. I never completed an Associate's Degree.

Because I will be working full-time as I do this, I want to try and stay somewhat reasonable with my goals and timelines.

I'm a big fan of Study.com's format. At the time of this writing, they are offering a discounted rate on 6 months of course fees paid in advance. By doing this, I'll be able to complete two courses each month at a rate of $149.99/month, which breaks down to $75/class, or $25/unit. 

That's tough to beat, considering how self-contained and all-inclusive Study.com is. So I will be taking advantage of that to complete 36 of my remaining 43 units. 

That will leave 7 units to complete. 3 of those will be my Capstone (I'm completing a BA in Liberal Studies at TESU). The remaining 4 units will be found and completed as quickly and cheaply as possible. (If anyone has any advice on how to complete those last 4 units fast and cheap/free, please let me know!)

UPDATE: Thanks to some early replies to this thread, I already see 3 free units I can take to get to 119:
  1. SOPH-0021 - Developing Effective Teams (1 unit) - Sophia
  2. Cyber 101 - Cybersecurity for Everyone (2 units) - TEEX
Now just 1 more...

I anticipate that this will take 8 months to complete in total.

From there, I will (immediately if possible) start into an MBA program with a concentration in Human Resources Management - likely at Patten University, but I'm still open to options and ideas here. I've been in HR since 1999, and at my age (47), it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to change career paths now.  Big Grin

My goal is to complete an MBA in 1 year, while working full-time. This might be too much to ask, but due to my HR experience potentially making the coursework a bit easier, I'm hopeful that this will end up being realistic.

So by this timetable, I anticipate being able to complete my BALS, and my MBA-HR, in a total of 20 months. Essentially, July 31, 2019 is my goal date. That being said, life happens, and though my ultimate goal is 20 months, I won't beat myself up too badly if it ends up taking 24 months. That, however, is the hard limit in this endeavor.  Wink

I also have a goal for complete both for under $10,000. If I can find those last 4 undergrad units for free, I'll just make it. ($3998 to complete my BALS, and $5988 at Patten to complete my MBA-HR.)

I've attached my TESU BALS plan in case it's helpful to anyone - all approved by TESU with a single exception. TESU placed my completed Study.com REL-101 World Religions class in the Info Literacy category when my degree program was Psych, but for some reason they've moved it into my AOS for the LS program.

I've requested it be moved back so that I have more class options in my AOS, and because there aren't a lot of other interesting options (to me) for the Info Literacy requirement. Since it was in that slot previously, I'm assuming they will do it, so I've adjusted the spreadsheet to reflect that.

I think that's everything for now. I start my next Study.com course first thing tomorrow morning. 

Here we go!  Big Grin

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESC 2017-18 BALS.xlsx (Size: 208.99 KB / Downloads: 70)
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 3 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • Life Long Learning, quigongene, slmartin
Wow, $149.99 is a great deal! And I haven't heard of it.

For those 4 credits, two of the free TEEX courses might do it? There is also the Sophia 1 credit free course.

Look into WGU versus Patten. At WGU, I don't think you get a concentration on your diploma/transcript, but I think I would go with WGU instead of Patten. There's a good thread that I posted in about Patten, WGU, and Hodges.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Nodaclu
http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_S..._of_Credit

and

http://courses.modernstates.org

also, Study.com has a "Guardian Scholarship" for a free 3 months
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • Nodaclu, slmartin
Oh yeah, Modern States and the Guardian Scholarship.

I think you can do the MBA in a year Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Nodaclu
(12-08-2017, 06:54 PM)Ideas Wrote: Wow, $149.99 is a great deal! And I haven't heard of it.

For those 4 credits, two of the free TEEX courses might do it? There is also the Sophia 1 credit free course.

Look into WGU versus Patten. At WGU, I don't think you get a concentration on your diploma/transcript, but I think I would go with WGU instead of Patten. There's a good thread that I posted in about Patten, WGU, and Hodges.

Thanks for those free course ideas! I'll check them out.

Here's the Study.com page with the pricing options for monthly, 6 months, and 12 months.

https://study.com/member/manage-membership.html (it appears you have to be logged in to see it)

The full 6 months have to be paid in advance, but it's well worth it for that level of a discount.

I've looked at WGU, but no HR concentration, and I really want that - both because it matches my career path, and because I should be able to complete the HR-based coursework faster due to related work experience and all.  Big Grin

(12-08-2017, 06:58 PM)quigongene Wrote: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_S..._of_Credit

and

http://courses.modernstates.org

also, Study.com has a "Guardian  Scholarship" for a free 3 months

Thanks for that link!!  Smile

I've already received and utilized the Guardian Scholarship, so that isn't an option for me unfortunately. But at least it appears that I have a couple of other options.
The NFA course is not an option anymore. I'm not sure if you can get credit for 2 TEEX. I think so.

(12-08-2017, 07:55 PM)Ideas Wrote: The NFA course is not an option anymore. I'm not sure if you can get credit for 2 TEEX. I think so.

Bummer! If I can't do two TEEX courses, surely I can find 1 unit somewhere....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • slmartin
Why wouldn't he be able to take two TEEX courses? All three transfer in as something different.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-08-2017, 08:33 PM)sanantone Wrote: Why wouldn't he be able to take two TEEX courses? All three transfer in as something different.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I immediately thought about how TESU might see it as overlap, based on some of the things I've read here about the two History of the Vietnam War classes at Study.com for example.
(12-08-2017, 08:33 PM)sanantone Wrote: Why wouldn't he be able to take two TEEX courses? All three transfer in as something different.

He's got three weeks to wrap them up. All three TEEX classes expire on 12/31 if nothing changes.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,455 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 467 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,701 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia