Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No longer grading CLEP exams?
Hi there, I'm just starting my journey here and no doubt I have a lot to learn. Can someone help me with something?

I'm interested in choosing which of the Big 3 to attend based on the potential for the highest GPA. As far as I understood it, Excelsior awards letter grades for CLEP and other exams, which would mean that if I get high scores, Excelsior would be the way to go. However, in their Credit-by-Exam Catalogue, it says this: "All CLEP exams for which we previously awarded letter grades must now use pass/fail grading because there is not sufficient data on the new computer-delivered exams to recommend minimum scores for B and A."

So now I'm thinking Excelsior isn't my best bet.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!
CLEPs have not been graded at EC for at least 10 years. DSSTs are being refreshed; I don't know if there are any left to take that would be graded now. Consider UExcel tests for grades. Some are about $100, but may have a hefty proctor fee. You may also be among the first members here to take them, so it might be hard to find feedback, but your feedback on study materials will be very valuable to others.

Best wishes on your new journey!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
UExcel have a letter grade and in my experience cost $99 plus a $50 proctor fee.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

1truefish Wrote:I'm interested in choosing which of the Big 3 to attend based on the potential for the highest GPA. !

May I ask why that's your top concern? My suggestion might be better if I knew why you needed a high GPA.
Might consider Straighterline for Excelsior. I believe those are still graded, and would cost the same or less as an ECE exam if finished in one month.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
$95 for UExcel, $4 saved to have a pint
I'd like to apply to graduate school after I finish my BA, and of course having the best GPA possible can only help.
1truefish Wrote:I'd like to apply to graduate school after I finish my BA, and of course having the best GPA possible can only help.

Ok, got it.
So, you should know that CLEP won't give you a grade at any college, so it's got no impact on your GPA - it won't raise or lower it. As a general rule of thumb, coursework you transfer in won't be part of that degree's GPA while coursework earned in house is. That said, for most grad schools, they'll (on their own) calculate your GPA based on all your graded credit from all sources. Example- you have a solid 2.0 GPA from school before, but enroll at TESC. TESC awards credit, but brings in no grade- so you take 1 class at TESC and earn an A. Like magic, you "graduate" with a 4.0 and that's true, however, for grad school, they'll recalculate your 2.0 in with your 4.0 and come up with a new amount. HTH
What is your GPA now and what grad schools do you have in mind? I tested out of 39 credits and had a credential assessment which earned 39 credits. My 4 COSC classes gave me an institutional GPA of 4.0 and an overall of 3.7 something. I also had military credit. The rest was college courses. The amount of teating did not preclude me from getting into the grad school I chose. Maybe figure out that component first and see what there requirements a are. Some have a minimum for graded credit.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
defscarlett Wrote:Might consider Straighterline for Excelsior. I believe those are still graded, and would cost the same or less as an ECE exam if finished in one month.

I can tell you with certainty that Excelsior does not award grades for SL's Comp I and Comp II - it's pass/fail only...not sure about any of SL's other courses...

Just to add to previous statements, CLEPs at EC are all pass/fail - no grades...
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,441 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,780 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,813 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,544 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU/ACE/Microsoft Exams AwardTour 10 2,979 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,580 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,642 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  DSST Management Information Systems and CLEP Business Information systems vetvso 10 2,566 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,942 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
  To CLEP the Survey of Lit II requirement: are the optional essays really optional? leland.kirk 2 1,220 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk