Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more tuition assistance
http://militaryadvantage.military.com/20...ssistance/
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
I read about this last night. I'm really surprised this hasn't been bigger news.
I first received an email from TESC Thursday night and then awoke to a "million" emails from different military sources stating to the deadline to submit TA request was at 5:00pm.. THE SAME DAY? Trust me it is huge if you are involved in any local college communities or are currently serving. I transferred to the Reserves recently from the Guard - who is not affected by the cut because they are state funded. Thank GOD I am in my last semester or I would be POed. They also state that you can still use your GI bill benefits, but for some (especially people who have not deployed etc) that is not enough to cover school cost. What I do not know if it only effects TA or if it includes other things like CLEP/DSST cost. Once again I am so glad I did not postpone school another semester; however, I am sure it is not the end of TA.

As a side note: This will probably affect moral in a big way..It's my personal opinion most join because of the benefits..Education being the biggest reason.
39 B&M Credits To Start With
Goal: 18 Test + 1 Capstone + 15 Fema = BALS TESC :hurray:
Plan: Started 09/10/12
Degree by June 2013
Test taken:
DSST: Human Cultural Geography - 3Cr (9/14/12)
DSST: Intro to Computing - 3Cr (9/14/12)
CLEP: A & I Literature - 6Cr (9/21/12)
DSST: World Religions - 3Cr (9/28/12)
DSST: Law Enforcement - 3Cr (9/28/12)
DSST: Substance Abuse - 3Cr (10/05/12)
CLEP: Sociology - 3Cr (10/25/12)
CLEP: American Lit - 6Cr (11/02/12)
DSST: Organizational Behavior - 3Cr (11/16/12)
CLEP: Psych - 3Cr (11/28/12)
DSST: Fund of Counseling - 3Cr (11/30/12)
DSST: Techl Writing - 3Cr (11/30/12)
DSST: Lifespan Dev Psych - 3Cr (12/04/12)
CLEP: Social Science - 6Cr (12/07/12)
DSST: Prin of Supervision - 3Cr (2/01/13)
DSST: Env & Hum - 3Cr (2/5/13)
DSST: Astronomy (2/27/13)
DSST: Vietnam (3/4/13)
TESC LA Capstone (3/22/13)
120/120 Credits Achieved

This is really sad that our politicians allow this. First, they blame this on the sequester even though the budget is higher this year than last year even with the sequester. Logically, they should be able to afford everything this year that they had last year. Second, the option to reallocate what got sequestered was there, but it wasn't taken. And lastly, you can't tell me the military couldn't find anywhere else to make the cuts. All the things that they waste money on, and they cut important things like TA. We have all read the crazy stuff the military, and the government in general waste money on. This is just the equivalent of someone throwing a fit because they didn't get their way.
Air Force hasn't cut TA yet, but the rumor is they're leaning to going to the old system of paying 75% (which is more like 50% with the increased tuition these days). It's better than nothing. I may just use my GI Bill which will actually speed my timeline, but I wanted to save my GI Bill for when I got out.

Either way, thank you DoD, USAF and American taxpayers for providing the TA for all these years, it's my fault I took 10 years to finish, so I have zero hard feelings.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Air Force TA is cancelled now, too. I was hoping they would go the 50/75% route, but it looks like it's cancelled at least until 1 October 2013 when they may turn it back on (hard to say at this point).

I've enjoyed my TA so far, but I feel bad for the guys who just joined when TA was part of their consideration for signing an enlistment contract. The Air Force places too much emphasis on education to allow this TA suspension to continue past 30 Sep 13 IMO. I guess we'll see...

I am 15 credits away from my degree so I will end up eating about 3750 of my MGIB benifits--assuming TA is not turned back on.

CLEPs/DANTES are still takeable. No worries there.
asetek Wrote:Air Force TA is cancelled now, too. I was hoping they would go the 50/75% route, but it looks like it's cancelled at least until 1 October 2013 when they may turn it back on (hard to say at this point).

I've enjoyed my TA so far, but I feel bad for the guys who just joined when TA was part of their consideration for signing an enlistment contract. The Air Force places too much emphasis on education to allow this TA suspension to continue past 30 Sep 13 IMO. I guess we'll see...

I am 15 credits away from my degree so I will end up eating about 3750 of my MGIB benifits--assuming TA is not turned back on.

CLEPs/DANTES are still takeable. No worries there.

I agree. People like you and I will just deal with it and use our GI bill for what it was designed for. This sucks for the guys who transferred their GI Bill to their families and had to extend because of it.

I know CLEP/DSST tests are funded by DANTES, so I am safe to assume that CLEP are still funded right?

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

It will be interesting to see if TA getting cut affects the DOD pass rates for CLEP and DSSTs as well as the amount of people taking them...
Cleps Passed:

Information Systems & Computer Applications - 64
Spanish - 58
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 71
Principles of Macroeconomics - 53
Principles of Microeconomics - 61
Introductory Sociology - 54
Calculus - 51
Biology - 67
freddy Wrote:It will be interesting to see if TA getting cut affects the DOD pass rates for CLEP and DSSTs as well as the amount of people taking them...

I'm sure the testing center's will be swarmed. Especially with AF MSgts looking to finish their CCAF for senior rater endorsement.

PrLoko-isms

Prloko Wrote:I agree. People like you and I will just deal with it and use our GI bill for what it was designed for. This sucks for the guys who transferred their GI Bill to their families and had to extend because of it.

I know CLEP/DSST tests are funded by DANTES, so I am safe to assume that CLEP are still funded right?

Yes CLEPs are still funded, too. I'm sure more active duty will take CLEP/DANTES. I guess it's good for you guys on the outside looking for more accurate data from the larger sample size of test takers lol. And now they are more motivated to pass...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reserve: Tuition Assistance Info bjcheung77 0 1,157 12-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Army Tuition Aid Stalled Alpha 0 1,176 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Tuition Discounts for VETS? terryd5150 10 3,950 05-25-2020, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Not_a_robot_101
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,875 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Champlain College now offering 70% tuition discount to Mil and their families deuce2w 2 2,247 12-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Last Post: deuce2w
  45% Tuition increase for veterans at Colorado Mountain College UptonSinclair 5 2,103 05-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Last Post: smf6824
  White House Petition to Reinstate Military Tuition Assistance armyb77 1 1,159 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: quasarvs
  Did VA change tuition policy? freddy 13 2,214 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Last Post: dposborne
  Northcentral University Tuition Drop for TA Users rlee7575 1 1,141 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Last Post: westmoorenerd
  FREE TUITION! for an undergrad degree 100% ffdpsoldier 9 2,325 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dcan