Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Compete Contracts for employers! Now I am out of work.
I worked for a mental health facility after I finished up my degree at TESC. Job required a bachelors degree. Good pay. I signed a non compete contract first day of employment. Worked for the company for a year! While I was working for the company, one of the competitors found my resume on career builder and offered me a managers position and higher salary and they told me do not worry about the non-compete agreement that I signed for Company A, and that it doesn't stand up in court. I took Company B's offer and left Company A, 3 months working for company B, Company A found out that I was working for Company B. Don't know how? Next thing you know, I get served for $75,000 for breaching a non compete agreement and said I gave trade secrets to Company B. Not only that, they hired a Private Investigator and had pictures of me in the documents! Lies, lies, lies from Company A regarding giving away trade secrets. I did not do anything illegal or try to give out any information to Company B. Anyways, Company B was nice enough to defend me using the corporate lawyer, and we still lost in court! However, the judge did tell me I did not have to pay the $75,000 judgement and to leave employment from Company B in a week's time frame, which I did. Now I am out of work, and I can't work for a mental health facility in two years in a 50 mile radius. The good thing about this was the judge threw the $75,000 grand judgement out. But now I am unemployed. I know it was my fault for signing a non-compete agreement and working for a competitor, but to be honest I didn't know it was even going to stand up in court and as well I did not know Company A would actually use the time, resources and money to sue me! I was just a average employee at company A! I was a nobody in that company! Anyways, just beware of non-compete agreements and careful when signing one, you don't want to end up like me!

By the way hi guys, I haven't been on in awhile! Hope all is well, just wanted to share my story! Smile

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
Wow! That is terrible. Especially since you were not a key employee. That is usually for executives and sales staff (are you sales?). Being that I work in contracts, do not ever dismiss what you sign, even from a furniture company, they will hold you to every letter.

I don't have a non-compete agreeement, but according to federal law, in my position, I cannot work for a company that I previously issued a contract for (makes perfect sense as I have valuable knowledge which can damage the governement), but that is a different issue entirely.

One final note to all, be wary of recruiters and do not confuse them with hiring managers (I'm not sure if you were scouted by a recruiter or not). Remember, you are the recruiter's product, not their client and will tell you anything to get their commission.

Ace, I wish you luck and hope you find something quick.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Are you kidding me? We need to talk contact me.
Ace King have you found a new job yet? Can you work in the field still? I am so sorry this happened to you. I had a do not compete before and was sued. Judge threw it out. Another employee at the company was sued also at the same time they did it to me. Judge found for him in his case also. He said that this company could not expect employees to stay out of the work force for two years after leaving them. Hope you found work.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
WOW!! I must have missed this post in October!! Let me say I'm so sorry you're in /were in such a tough spot. I hope it's all worked out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,067 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,101 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,204 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne
  College degree required to work at a factory? sanantone 1 1,430 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
Big Grin Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! jsd 11 2,674 12-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Life_One
  Commute to work - how long? cookderosa 9 1,787 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Full-Time Work from home jobs? acamp 16 3,389 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Suggestions for Project/Deadline-Oriented Work kalishakti 3 1,412 03-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Sending Transcripts To Employers Regards 5 1,969 10-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Last Post: cookderosa