Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Arizona University?
Hello.  Has anyone here taken the Masters program in C.I.T. through Northern Arizona University?

I have applied through WGU for the MSIT, and am in that phase where I am not making the next move, and have their recruiters calling me like crazy.  I am having second thoughts about WGU, and really want to lean towards a state school.

I am reading on the WGU Reddit that Northern Arizona has a competency based program and is priced around $3000 per 6 month term.  Would love to hear if anyone else has experience with it.

From what I am reading, it is a HEAVY writing program, all the way through.

Thoughts\input?
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(09-17-2019, 05:51 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Hello.  Has anyone here taken the Masters program in C.I.T. through Northern Arizona University?

I have applied through WGU for the MSIT, and am in that phase where I am not making the next move, and have their recruiters calling me like crazy.  I am having second thoughts about WGU, and really want to lean towards a state school.

I am reading on the WGU Reddit that Northern Arizona has a competency based program and is priced around $3000 per 6 month term.  Would love to hear if anyone else has experience with it.

From what I am reading, it is a HEAVY writing program, all the way through.

Thoughts\input?

I considered the MCIT program via NAU (technically I am still considering it since I've heard good things about the program) and the MSIT from WGU, but I decided to focus on my MBA @ WGU first. I would like to pursue a more tech-focused degree after my MBA, but if I do, I'll probably go with the OMSCS or an MSCS from WGU once that opens to the public (which should be next year from what I'm hearing).

That said, I'm curious about your second thoughts regarding WGU. The IT degrees at WGU are generally well-regarded in the IT community. I get that a state school looks a bit more traditional on a resume, but I'm wondering if that is the main rationale for your second thoughts or not?

You'll find that any competency-based program is going to require a lot of written assignments. WGU is nice because it offers a mix of exams/certs and projects/papers, which is nice for people who prefer exams. Personally, I prefer writing papers since I feel like I have a better handle on what I need to do (or study) there. That said, some programs require a lot more writing than others (NAU may fall into this category), so that could get painful after a while.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(09-20-2019, 06:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: I considered the MCIT program via NAU (technically I am still considering it since I've heard good things about the program) and the MSIT from WGU, but I decided to focus on my MBA @ WGU first. I would like to pursue a more tech-focused degree after my MBA, but if I do, I'll probably go with the OMSCS or an MSCS from WGU once that opens to the public (which should be next year from what I'm hearing).

That said, I'm curious about your second thoughts regarding WGU. The IT degrees at WGU are generally well-regarded in the IT community. I get that a state school looks a bit more traditional on a resume, but I'm wondering if that is the main rationale for your second thoughts or not?

You'll find that any competency-based program is going to require a lot of written assignments. WGU is nice because it offers a mix of exams/certs and projects/papers, which is nice for people who prefer exams. Personally, I prefer writing papers since I feel like I have a better handle on what I need to do (or study) there. That said, some programs require a lot more writing than others (NAU may fall into this category), so that could get painful after a while.

Merlin,

You really did hit the nail on the head.  I was aiming for a bit more of a traditional school on the resume'.  I have done tons of research on WGU, and I am convinced that it is a great program for working adults, such as myself.  So much so, that I recommended WGU to a friend and he enrolled and is quite happy with his progress and the program, overall.   I almost selected WGU for undergrad, but ultimately settled on TESU, mainly because of the "state university" moniker.  Now that I am ready to pull the proverbial trigger on a Masters program, I keep finding myself second guessing whether or not I am investing my money wisely(based on name only).   Concerned about future prospects in IT Management.

I think I am just going to forge ahead with WGU.  I am already rolling on the enrollment process.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(09-23-2019, 11:14 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Now that I am ready to pull the proverbial trigger on a Masters program, I keep finding myself second guessing whether or not I am investing my money wisely(based on name only).   Concerned about future prospects in IT Management.

I think I am just going to forge ahead with WGU.  I am already rolling on the enrollment process.

Honestly, if you're in IT, the degree is nice but is mostly superfluous to certifications and experience. If you know your stuff, you don't even need a degree to go as far as you want in IT. I know a bunch of people in high-ranking technology management roles who have no degree at all. Everything they have they earned by proving themselves on the job. That said, if you're coming into a new company, the degree will help set you apart from other candidates who don't have the degree, but most hiring managers are more interested in what you have done to understand what you can do, so your resume and/or portfolio is key, with certifications coming in second, followed by degree(s) in a distant third place.

So realistically, it won't really matter where your degree comes from if you have the right stuff on the resume. And if you don't, you probably won't be hired anyway regardless of the degree. The only place where it may matter is if you're in the running for a role where you are neck and neck with someone else with the same experience and certifications. If you have a degree and they don't, or your degree seems more relevant, that could give you a leg up.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • alab21
(09-20-2019, 06:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: ...or an MSCS from WGU once that opens to the public (which should be next year from what I'm hearing).

Do you have a link/any more information regarding this?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-23-2019, 04:11 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 06:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: ...or an MSCS from WGU once that opens to the public (which should be next year from what I'm hearing).

There was a twitter post last year that mentioned that an MSCS degree was in development and more information would be available in the future. The note about it likely being introduced next year came from my program mentor.

If there are posts on the WGU website about the MSCS program, I haven't seen them. The only information I have been able to get on it has been filtered through my mentor. It sounds like they are working on ABET programmatic certification for the BSCS and MSCS and will likely officially announce the MSCS program once ABET is confirmed.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • alab21
(09-23-2019, 04:19 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 04:11 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

There was a twitter post last year that mentioned that an MSCS degree was in development and more information would be available in the future. The note about it likely being introduced next year came from my program mentor.

If there are posts on the WGU website about the MSCS program, I haven't seen them. The only information I have been able to get on it has been filtered through my mentor. It sounds like they are working on ABET programmatic certification for the BSCS and MSCS and will likely officially announce the MSCS program once ABET is confirmed.

WGU will likely require a BS in CS and won't admit you no matter how many CS credits you have.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-23-2019, 05:01 PM)sanantone Wrote: WGU will likely require a BS in CS and won't admit you no matter how many CS credits you have.

Why do you say this? Looking over their website, it looks like none of their other master's degrees require you to have a bachelor's in anything specific. They are either completely agnostic to what your bachelor's was in, or they provide alternative routes to admission. Though one could easily argue that the MS in Accounting effectively requires a BS in Accounting since the only alternative option is a CPA license, which would be tough to get before beginning the program.

Is it because of the highly technical nature of the subject that you think they'll block anyone without a CS degree?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-23-2019, 05:32 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 05:01 PM)sanantone Wrote: WGU will likely require a BS in CS and won't admit you no matter how many CS credits you have.

Why do you say this? Looking over their website, it looks like none of their other master's degrees require you to have a bachelor's in anything specific. They are either completely agnostic to what your bachelor's was in, or they provide alternative routes to admission. Though one could easily argue that the MS in Accounting effectively requires a BS in Accounting since the only alternative option is a CPA license, which would be tough to get before beginning the program.

Is it because of the highly technical nature of the subject that you think they'll block anyone without a CS degree?

The accounting program is the reason why I said this. Anyone familiar with the accounting field knows that people tend to get a master's so that they can meet the 150-credit requirement for CPA licensure. There are much better schools out there that will admit you as long as you have the prerequisite accounting courses plus a certain number of accounting electives. WGU's stance on this is nonsensical. 

For the data analytics and cybersecurity programs, they provide alternatives that you have to spend money on and have to have completed within the last five years. What difference does it make if someone has a degree in one of those fields or a BS in another field plus an undergraduate/post-baccalaureate certificate or equivalent credits? There is no difference. It's a poorly thought out requirement. 

The program that I'm in at University of Florida requires a bachelor's degree in a natural science, forensic science, criminology/criminal justice, or anthropology. My bachelor's degrees are in business administration and social science, and I was still admitted. Do you know why? It's because I have a bunch of doctoral credits in criminal justice! This is the difference between having full-time faculty members working as program advisors who can exercise discretion and having a bunch of worker ants who can only check boxes. 

I would like to know which certification would demonstrate that someone is prepared to complete an MS in CS. Is there a certification that requires you to know calculus and discrete math?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-23-2019, 05:01 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 04:19 PM)Merlin Wrote: There was a twitter post last year that mentioned that an MSCS degree was in development and more information would be available in the future. The note about it likely being introduced next year came from my program mentor.

WGU will likely require a BS in CS and won't admit you no matter how many CS credits you have.

My assumption is that they will require either a BSCS, BSSD, BSIT, and/or X number of years of documented experience in a CS/SD related field. But we won't know until the program requirements are established.

In any case, I'm not too worried about it. If I can't meet WGU's requirements for some reason, I have other options.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 235 Today, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,058 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,454 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,311 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,297 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy