Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now that TESC costs more, anyone looking into Hodges?
yb1 Wrote:Hodges is work if you don't pass the initial assessment. and some of the classes I absolutely dread. It doesn't help that life kept getting in the way, but I am nearly done with my first subscription and I am scrambling to finish courses. Still quicker then community college but I am very annoyed with myself.

I am hoping to knock out 20 worth of credits by the end of July. :puke: If I can do that then I will be happy with where I am at.

I am very interested in your process as well. Can you go into some detail on how Hodges works and what the classes, credit evaluation, process, etc works. Is the classes similar to Penn Foster, or ePacks, or are they like SLer? Is it take a class, read up, then get a proctored test online? Thanks
inf Wrote:I am very interested in your process as well. Can you go into some detail on how Hodges works and what the classes, credit evaluation, process, etc works. Is the classes similar to Penn Foster, or ePacks, or are they like SLer? Is it take a class, read up, then get a proctored test online? Thanks

SLer??? Is this another thing where people are calling it Straightliner??

Just so people aren't confused, it's Straighterline, and we on this forum usually abbreviate it as SL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for posting this inf. I would also be very interested in hearing from other students who have gone through a degree program at Hodges University.
hello, old thread!

here's a recent post from another thread from one person's experience with Hodges, it was brought up in a thread about IT options so it's more geared toward that:

NolaRice Wrote:I was enrolled at Hodges for 6 months before moving on to the BACS at TESU. I was in the upower program for 6 months, for the BS Software Development. Academically, their program is very solid and I really liked the school. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the price is right. However, they only accepted 56 of my credits for transfer (while TESU accepted 80). The program is also very time-consuming. You will not test-out quickly from the courses. I'd absolutely recommend Hodges for a self-learner who is working on a degree full-time. You'll learn a lot. For really busy professionals, Hodges might not be the best option.

2Cool4School, I think WGU would be the best fit for you. Their IT degrees are, well, very IT-focused and you should be able to test out quickly with your experience. I really like the CIS degree at TESU but it's a lot of business courses.

NolaRice Wrote:I knew the material in all of my courses already, but the testing out process was long and frustrating to me. I took three courses total. Hardware support, operating systems, and I had to take another Microsoft Office class despite having taken a similar course already through my local CC. Hardware and operating systems used TestOut's LabSim. If I remember well, I had to go through about 800-1000 quiz questions to test out of every course. The Ms Office class had 1 pre-test and 1 post-test for each topic - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access. So, there a total of 8 projects in order to test out and each took a couple hours - just for a basic Ms Office class. I also had to wait for each pre-test and post-test to be graded for the next one to open so it took me about 2 weeks for that one course. I ended up dropping out when I got to my 4th class, web design. I had taken two semesters of HTML/CSS/Web development at my CC, and they did not transfer in. I remember the testing-out process being quite long and involved as well in that class.

I still think Hodges is a good school that offers tremendous value. The uPower pricing is great and their faculty and staff are excellent. I could see a motivated first-time college student get a lot out of it because there's a lot of high-quality material to learn from, a lot of faculty support and you will learn the material inside and out.

For me, it wasn't a good fit, because testing out took me almost as long as taking a full online community college class. I much prefer studying independently and taking one test, like a CLEP or DSST, or go through Straighterline, where grading is automated and I can take as many tests/courses as I want in the same day as long as I know the material well enough. This leaves me time to focus on learning what I don't know.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Looks like they pass the accreditation test https://www.hodges.edu/about/ and at $2750 for six months of unlimited course access their pricing structure seems to rival Western Governors https://www.hodges.edu/academics/academi...power.aspx. At $3,250 their price for graduate studies is also about the same as that of Western Governors. I'm definitely going to have to dig deeper into this mysterious place. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,158 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,955 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,293 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,743 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,699 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,146 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,774 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,944 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77