Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuclear Associates Degree
(05-08-2020, 11:44 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Honestly, you've been trying to convince your brother to do something like this for years now. If he doesn't want to do it, you're wasting your time.

I'd keep on him about CLEPs/DSSTs, though. He can likely pass several more with very minimal studying.

Yeah I figured as much. This post was kind of my last effort.

But I will try to convince him to take more CLEPs considering he got perfect scores from the ones he did with no studying.

I think I'm just going to give up on this.  I will try to convince him to apply to TESU (or some other school) that gives him max of military credit on a transcript and take a single course or TECEP. Just to get all those credits on a transcript and then if he wanted to be a CPA or employment the credit would be on a college transcript. I think that would something reasonable to suggest that requires basically no effort or money. Do you think this would be worth it? or does this seem silly to do?

It isn't just my brother though. I know people with over 100 credits that don't who could easily finish their degree. I tried to them they could finish there degree for 4 - 8k with almost no effort and they don't want to. Many of them even get pell grants or tuition reimbursement at work too. I also know someone who has like a zillion credits changed school so many times and I'm pretty sure all they would need is the cap/cornerstone to get a degree but they don't want to. I guess to me personally it seems silly not to take the opportunity. To each his own I guess. I think a lot of them don't understand and think it is a diploma mill and isn't a real degree.
Well, some of them work long hours and probably don't feel like doing school work on their time off. They probably just want to play video games or whatever lol. These are nukes we talking about.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(05-08-2020, 02:58 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Well, some of them work long hours and probably don't feel like doing school work on their time off. They probably just want to play video games or whatever lol. These are nukes we talking about.

The other people I'm talking to aren't nukes. They are people who have just switched schools a bunch and have a ton of credits but never finished.

But my brother is so smart I don't think it would take him a lot time or effort to do a tesu degree especially if the majority of it is done and the rest could be done by cleps he could pass with no studying. Just the cap/cornerstone and labs for sciences. Not like this would take years or anything, could be done in one term.

It is hard to explain the big 3 to people who aren't on this forum they just don't get it.
Yeah I know a lot of people that are similar, but after afew of my mentees started doing college and getting their degrees(thanks to alot of help from this board) and showing them that the big 3 and WGU aren't some random diploma mills. It really opened some eyes. Thr real question is does your brother even want to really do any of this? Yeah it'll look good to leave the service with something, but as long as he has a plan that works for him let him do his thing.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 2 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, natshar
I would do anything and everything to encourage completion of the TESU BSAST for nukes before he gets out. Let the Navy pay for that Bachelor's. Then, go for a second BS or even an MS in accounting using GI Bill.

The TESU or Excelsior degree is perfectly adequate for admission into a brick and mortar, RA graduate program. I spent time at a state flagship school after doing my TESU nuke degree. I work in accounting (but not degreed as such).
In progress: TESU: BS CIS | Coursera: Google IT Support
Completed: TESU: BSAST Nuclear Engineering Technology (2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TopHatWombat's post:
  • natshar
(05-08-2020, 03:37 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Yeah I know a lot of people that are similar, but after afew of my mentees started doing college and getting their degrees(thanks to alot of help from this board) and showing them that the big 3 and WGU aren't some random diploma mills. It really opened some eyes. Thr real question is does your brother even want to really do any of this? Yeah it'll look good to leave the service with something, but as long as he has a plan that works for him let him do his thing.

He doesn't have a plan. Other than to probably go to school at an undecided B&M school with an undecided major in the next few years.

I know I should just let him do his own thing. I guess it's like I think this a good opportunity and wouldn't take much, time, effort or money. But I probably will just let him do his own thing honestly. But I'll at least show what his options are and break it all down to make sure he understands it isn't a diploma mill. Not forcing him to do anything just letting him know this option is out there.

No one else in my family or friend group knows much about college or anything. They basically think it is 4 years and a bunch of money. It doesn't have to be that way.
(05-08-2020, 04:24 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 03:37 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Yeah I know a lot of people that are similar, but after afew of my mentees started doing college and getting their degrees(thanks to alot of help from this board) and showing them that the big 3 and WGU aren't some random diploma mills. It really opened some eyes. Thr real question is does your brother even want to really do any of this? Yeah it'll look good to leave the service with something, but as long as he has a plan that works for him let him do his thing.

He doesn't have a plan. Other than to probably go to school at an undecided B&M school with an undecided major in the next few years.

I know I should just let him do his own thing. I guess it's like I think this a good opportunity and wouldn't take much, time, effort or money. But I probably will just let him do his own thing honestly. But I'll at least show what his options are and break it all down to make sure he understands it isn't a diploma mill. Not forcing him to do anything just letting him know this option is out there.

No one else in my family or friend group knows much about college or anything. They basically think it is 4 years and a bunch of money. It doesn't have to be that way.
Have you showed him this forum? Either doing the Associate's or the bachelor's degree that TopHatWombat mentioned, will open him up to use his GI Bill for whether degree his heart desires without wasting it on like my other post said Electives and gen ed. In the long run it'll allow him to get a plan for later and to have something to fall back on of he wanted to do Nuke stuff later.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(05-08-2020, 05:25 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

Have you showed him this forum? Either doing the Associate's or the bachelor's degree that TopHatWombat mentioned, will open him up to use his GI Bill for whether degree his heart desires without wasting it on  like my other post said Electives and gen ed. In the long run it'll allow him to get a plan for later and to have something to fall back on of he wanted to do Nuke stuff later.

I guess what I was thinking is the associates seems doable before he gets out. The bachelors likely won't be possible to complete before he gets out. Can't start at TESU until July or August term. The AS can be done in one term, but BS probably can't. And if he goes for the bachelors the ABET-accredited one makes the most sense compared to the other nuclear majors.
(05-08-2020, 05:34 PM)natshar Wrote:

Have you showed him this forum? Either doing the Associate's or the bachelor's degree that TopHatWombat mentioned, will open him up to use his GI Bill for whether degree his heart desires without wasting it on  like my other post said Electives and gen ed. In the long run it'll allow him to get a plan for later and to have something to fall back on of he wanted to do Nuke stuff later.

I guess what I was thinking is the associates seems doable before he gets out. The bachelors likely won't be possible to complete before he gets out. Can't start at TESU until July or August term. The AS can be done in one term, but BS probably can't. And if he goes for the bachelors the ABET-accredited one makes the most sense compared to the other nuclear majors.
In all honesty and you already know this it's a bit hard to speculate a real time line without knowing what total credits he has. Just going off what I know for just going to A school he'll only need capstone, cornerstone, and gen ed courses (if memory serves) to finish. You did say he went to other service schools and did some CLEPs so depending on which ones he took and those other military schools it could be a lot less. Now the BS though I'm not sure how much math he's already did. Again it maybe doable.

(05-08-2020, 06:30 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 05:34 PM)natshar Wrote:

In all honesty and you already know this it's a bit hard to speculate a real time line without knowing what total credits he has. Just going off what I know for just going to A school he'll only need capstone, cornerstone, and gen ed courses (if memory serves) to finish. You did say he went to other service schools and did some CLEPs so depending on which ones he took and those other military schools it could be a lot less. Now the BS though I'm not sure how much math he's already did. Again it maybe doable.

Whichever program he chooses, don't forget about the TESU required amount of credits for residency- 
TESU is far from a diploma mill... ABET is the key for anything Engineering/Engineering Technology, without it.. kind of a waste of time-
As a former Marine/Army Guardsman, every Navy guy I've met has been technically squared away (can't speak for Nuke guys, but ET's and CT's... wizards with electronics) I've seen those guys explaining electronic components to Virginia Tech graduates- so I wouldn't lose sleep over a University name that becoming increasingly well known across industries.

Also, if he does get out... tell him to STAY RESERVE, trust me it's worth it-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,347 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,033 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,288 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,988 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  Taking a break between Associates and Bachelors mps2015 8 3,241 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  My Degree Path dposborne 7 2,830 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,966 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  TESC Management Degree/Aviation Maintenance Degree jeff080 4 1,302 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Last Post: jeff080
  Earning a degree entirely through military training, is it possible? Sidewinder2N 11 2,571 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Last Post: bldclot2
  TESC Military Degree Completion Program Change Prloko 2 1,045 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Prloko