Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nursing pre-requs
I wanted to start a thread on here for people looking for non traditional ways of getting nursing pre-requs. Pre-requs can often take a year to complete going through the tradition B&M programs.

Microbiology
A&P I/II with lab
Bio 1&2 with lab
Chem 1&2 with lab

Does anyone know of self paced pre-requs with labs?
-------------------------
Columbia University School of Nursing
Masters Direct Entry (MDE)

For people who already have a bachelors (must be in something other than nursing)

The MDE program is an innovative, accelerated curriculum for non-nurse college graduates.
The MDE program prepares students to become masters-credentialed Registered Nurses (RN).
Students are awarded a Master of Science in Nursing after graduating from the MDE and are eligible to sit for the NCLEX exam to become a registered nurse.
The MDE program is an accelerated 72-credit, 15 month program.

http://nursing.columbia.edu/academics/ac...-entry-mde
Prerequisites:
English Composition or a course listed as Writing Intensive
Psychology (Intro, Developmental, or Life Span)
Statistics completed within the past 5 years (for all applicants: MDE, MDE/DNP, and MDE/PhD)
Human Anatomy or Human Anatomy & Physiology I
Human Physiology or Human Anatomy & Physiology II
Microbiology
Nutrition

Labs are not required for any prerequisites.

http://nursing.columbia.edu/admissions-a...dnp-mdephd
Students can take prerequisites at any accredited university (including accredited online and community colleges)
Also, please note that we do not accept courses from Straighterline.
http://nursing.columbia.edu/admissions-a...ssions-faq
I attended an open house there a few years ago and they said they would accept Excelsior exams to fulfill all prerequisites.

Contrast that to NYU's school of nursing --- they wouldn't accept ANY exam or ANY online course for ANY prerequisite -- even an online course in Life span Developmental Psychology
(08-09-2018, 04:26 PM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I wanted to start a thread on here for people looking for non traditional ways of getting nursing pre-requs. Pre-requs can often take a year to complete going through the tradition B&M programs.

Microbiology
A&P I/II with lab
Bio 1&2 with lab
Chem 1&2 with lab

Do you have a school in mind? Reach out to their nursing department or whatever, and ask someone if online classes, etc. are acceptable. Like medical school, every nursing school is different. Some honor clep, some don't. Once you've done that you can check out your local community college. 

There is also Luna Community College (just got their accreditation back), New Mexico Junior College, and Clovis. I did my prerequisites at the community college level in California. Back then it was $20 a credit. Good Luck, and remember to clear everything with your target school.
(08-09-2018, 04:26 PM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I wanted to start a thread on here for people looking for non traditional ways of getting nursing pre-requs. Pre-requs can often take a year to complete going through the tradition B&M programs.

Microbiology
A&P I/II with lab
Bio 1&2 with lab
Chem 1&2 with lab

When you say non-traditional, do you mean non-classroom? Is distance learning part of that category? If so, probably 3/4 of all community colleges offer those courses online which would be a candidate's cheapest option. Lab sciences are expensive.

If you mean ^really alternative, then you're looking at ACE programs, but those aren't readily accepted AND the big kicker is that they are NOT GRADED CREDIT which is almost always a deal-breaker for nursing prereqs.
(08-10-2018, 08:52 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Microbiology
A&P I/II with lab
Bio 1&2 with lab
Chem 1&2 with lab

When you say non-traditional, do you mean non-classroom?  Is distance learning part of that category?  If so, probably 3/4 of all community colleges offer those courses online which would be a candidate's cheapest option. Lab sciences are expensive.

If you mean ^really alternative, then you're looking at ACE programs, but those aren't readily accepted AND the big kicker is that they are NOT GRADED CREDIT which is almost always a deal-breaker for nursing prereqs.

Yes, she's 100% correct Paramedic12. Nursing schools want to see LETTER GRADES, end of discussion. Even TESU nursing program want LETTER GRADES. The only shortcut I can see is taking your pre-request online, cutting driving time and travel time out.

I'm an RN and I had to take 2 sciences over because I didn't follow directions.
(08-17-2018, 05:57 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Yes, she's 100% correct Paramedic12. Nursing schools want to see LETTER GRADES, end of discussion. Even TESU nursing program want LETTER GRADES. The only shortcut I can see is taking your pre-request online, cutting driving time and travel time out.

She might be able to keep digging around for a program that will take non-graded courses. I know one of the programs my wife was considering, UNCW, accepts CLEP credits for their prerequisites. Those CLEP credits are ignored when they calculate the GPA of your relevant coursework for admissions placement.
(08-17-2018, 06:14 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 05:57 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Yes, she's 100% correct Paramedic12. Nursing schools want to see LETTER GRADES, end of discussion. Even TESU nursing program want LETTER GRADES. The only shortcut I can see is taking your pre-request online, cutting driving time and travel time out.

She might be able to keep digging around for a program that will take non-graded courses. I know one of the programs my wife was considering, UNCW, accepts CLEP credits for their prerequisites. Those CLEP credits are ignored when they calculate the GPA of your relevant coursework for admissions placement.

Yes, this is true for stuff like Life Span Psychology or something like that... however, these nursing schools are very competitive and it's getting worse every year... for the Math and Sciences, they will want to see a letter grade.
It's really sad because there are Medical Schools out there that will take CLEP biology and Chemistry. Overall though, it's a good idea to keep searching.

EDIT: Oh and by the way... when you call make sure to call the nursing department directly. The school advisors and the nursing department are two different things. They will often give you conflicting information if you're not careful. Just call the nursing department and they will know for sure.
Also, keep in mind that all these nursing programs, including TESU, give points for the number of classes you take with them. So although you can save money by clepping, the nursing school will give priority to students who took classes there because they supposedly design the classes to prepare you for THEIR program. Most schools have waiting lists. I started pre-requisites for nursing in California and left the state because the waiting list was 5 years long... that's right... 5 YEARS! I wanting to start my career so I applied to a few schools and went to the one where the waiting list wasn't extreme. At the same time, you'll have to look at their nclex pass rates and see if the waiting list is low because the school sucks. The worse thing is to finish and then can't pass your boards.

Microbiology
A&P I/II with lab
Bio 1&2 with lab
Chem 1&2 with lab

Apparently, Charter Oaks gives letter grades for classes taken with SL. 
SL has AP 1 and 2, Micro, and Gen Chem 1...
(08-17-2018, 07:29 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:

Microbiology
A&P I/II with lab
Bio 1&2 with lab
Chem 1&2 with lab

Apparently, Charter Oaks gives letter grades for classes taken with SL. 
SL has AP 1 and 2, Micro, and Gen Chem 1...

OMG! You beat me to it... COSC is the only school I can think of that awards letter grades for StraighterLine. I was just going to say that, however; the evaluation (and most likely, the transcript) will show where the courses came from.

It would be great if COSC had professional degrees, but they don't. It all depends on the receiving institution if they accept ACE/NCCRS credits, if they don't, then having it sent to COSC won't help much.

The best bet for pre-professional programs is to take the sciences online at the local community colleges, especially if you're in CA or NM states, as they are the least expensive option. If you're out of state, NMJC courses are a steal.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(08-17-2018, 06:22 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 06:14 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:

Yes, this is true for stuff like Life Span Psychology or something like that... however, these nursing schools are very competitive and it's getting worse every year... for the Math and Sciences, they will want to see a letter grade.
It's really sad because there are Medical Schools out there that will take CLEP biology and Chemistry. Overall though, it's a good idea to keep searching.

EDIT: Oh and by the way... when you call make sure to call the nursing department directly. The school advisors and the nursing department are two different things. They will often give you conflicting information if you're not careful. Just call the nursing department and they will know for sure.
Also, keep in mind that all these nursing programs, including TESU, give points for the number of classes you take with them. So although you can save money by clepping, the nursing school will give priority to students who took classes there because they supposedly design the classes to prepare you for THEIR program. Most schools have waiting lists. I started pre-requisites for nursing in California and left the state because the waiting list was 5 years long... that's right... 5 YEARS! I wanting to start my career so I applied to a few schools and went to the one where the waiting list wasn't extreme. At the same time, you'll have to look at their nclex pass rates and see if the waiting list is low because the school sucks. The worse thing is to finish and then can't pass your boards.

That is all consistent with my research and experience as well. A college (especially a community college) will have their overall policies (like accepting CLEP) but a nursing department sets its own admission standards. Unlike community colleges, nursing programs are not open enrollment. They will be competitive admissions and almost always rank applicants based on GPA. Since there are no CLEP exams for A&P or Microbiology, it's moot, but for the schools that want intro bio / intro chem as A&P prereqs, you can *probably* use CLEP because it isn't part of your prereq package at most schools.

I looked at this problem backwards and forwards for several years- I took every science via distance learning. I took *extra* because I wasn't 100% sure at the time if I was going into nursing or medicine (turns out, I did neither) but even having a degree didn't give he a big advantage because I needed ALL the sciences. It took a long time and cost a lot of money- so to do them twice scrambles my brain.