Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"OSNON Non-NJ Resident Non-Matric" - Will I get credit banking?
I signed up with TESU for credit banking, and told them I was signing up to take a TECEP. I have "OSNON Non-NJ Resident Non-Matric" as my enrollment status. Does this mean that I won't get credit banking? I already paid for my TECEP - am I screwed?
It just means you're a non-matriculated student (not enrolled in a degree program), outside of New Jersey. Nothing about it implies you can't get credit banking.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-15-2019, 01:08 AM)jsd Wrote: It just means you're a non-matriculated student (not enrolled in a degree program), outside of New Jersey. Nothing about it implies you can't get credit banking.

I was seeing people on the forums saying I need to be enrolled to get credit banking and credit evaluation and to take a TECEP to get enrolled? Doesn't that imply I need to be matriculated into a degree program?
You're mixing a few different things together. There are three modes you can be in at TESU:

1. Degree seeking (matriculated) student: You pay the regular application fee and take courses (or TECEPS) to become enrolled or maintain enrollment. As long as you are enrolled, you can transfer credit in.

2. Non-matriculated student: You can take courses or TECEPs, but you can't transfer courses in. This useful for someone who is going to another school, but wants to take a TECEP or other course at TESU. You pay higher tuition as a non-matriculated student.

3. Credit banking: You don't have to take any courses at TESU, but you can still transfer courses in. This is only useful for people who need to show alternative credit on a college transcript for non-academic reasons, like taking the CPA exam, or qualifying for a promotion at work.

No matter which of the above you do, once you have credit on your TESU transcript, you can order transcripts in the future whenever you need them. In your case, it sounds like you're in situation 2. What are you trying to accomplish? The answer to that will tell whether you want to do credit banking or become an enrolled student.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Quote:2. Non-matriculated student: You can take courses or TECEPs, but you can't transfer courses in. This useful for someone who is going to another school, but wants to take a TECEP or other course at TESU. You pay higher tuition as a non-matriculated student.

To clarify, you can't transfer in courses for the purpose of a degree, but you can for credit banking. People who take a TECEP aren't excluded from also doing credit banking, in other words.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(09-15-2019, 11:53 AM)jsd Wrote:
Quote:2. Non-matriculated student: You can take courses or TECEPs, but you can't transfer courses in. This useful for someone who is going to another school, but wants to take a TECEP or other course at TESU. You pay higher tuition as a non-matriculated student.

To clarify, you can't transfer in courses for the purpose of a degree, but you can for credit banking. People who take a TECEP aren't excluded from also doing credit banking, in other words.

Not unless you pay the credit banking fee, in which case you fall into the third choice I mentioned.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

But you can both pay the credit banking fee and be a non matriculated student taking a TECEP. They're not exclusive.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(09-15-2019, 10:35 AM)davewill Wrote: You're mixing a few different things together. There are three modes you can be in at TESU:

1. Degree seeking (matriculated) student: You pay the regular application fee and take courses (or TECEPS) to become enrolled or maintain enrollment. As long as you are enrolled, you can transfer credit in.

2. Non-matriculated student: You can take courses or TECEPs, but you can't transfer courses in. This useful for someone who is going to another school, but wants to take a TECEP or other course at TESU. You pay higher tuition as a non-matriculated student.

3. Credit banking: You don't have to take any courses at TESU, but you can still transfer courses in. This is only useful for people who need to show alternative credit on a college transcript for non-academic reasons, like taking the CPA exam, or qualifying for a promotion at work.

No matter which of the above you do, once you have credit on your TESU transcript, you can order transcripts in the future whenever you need them. In your case, it sounds like you're in situation 2. What are you trying to accomplish? The answer to that will tell whether you want to do credit banking or become an enrolled student.

I want my ACE courses to show up under TESU-ACE. I don't want to pay the $300 credit banking fee.
(09-16-2019, 09:16 AM)tendrils Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 10:35 AM)davewill Wrote: ... In your case, it sounds like you're in situation 2. What are you trying to accomplish? The answer to that will tell whether you want to do credit banking or become an enrolled student.

I want my ACE courses to show up under TESU-ACE. I don't want to pay the $300 credit banking fee.

That doesn't tell me what you want to use said transcript for. The only way to put ACE courses on a TESU transcript and avoid the credit banking fee is to become a degree seeking student. It isn't necessary to actually EARN said degree, of course.

(09-15-2019, 10:36 PM)jsd Wrote: But you can both pay the credit banking fee and be a non matriculated student taking a TECEP. They're not exclusive.

Yes, I should have made that clear. You can be 2 and 3 at the same time, although it would probably make sense to just do 1 in that case.

Which brings up something I've been wondering. Can you become an enrolled student using just a TECEP anymore? Yes, I know you can maintain your enrollment with a TECEP, but with the cornerstone requirement, it's not clear you'd be allowed to register for the TECEP as a degree seeking student without also registering for the cornerstone. If that's the case, then credit banking becomes the cheaper option if you just want alternative credits on a transcript.

BTW, I don't think they have the non-matriculated fees for TECEP's any longer - it's the same price as for anyone else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,500 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 660 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  Credit distribution Kones 6 490 10-13-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Kones
  90 credit max transfer, does that include TECEPs? Math avoidant 21 2,792 08-01-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU ENS-360 Credit from Lawshelf Niketay 1 426 07-28-2023, 09:19 PM
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,080 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  Another source of cheap NCCRS credit Avidreader 8 1,062 06-11-2023, 02:14 AM
  TESU - Accounting Credit Options allvia 8 1,076 05-11-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  16 Credit Term Plan what do you think? mt_1994 6 717 03-20-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tesu English 102 credit Sb2013 12 1,301 03-05-2023, 12:05 PM