Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oakton CC: Free 7 Credit Web Design Class 4 Vulnerable Populations
Hi all!

*Just a quick reminder since registration will be opening again soon.*

I would hope that members on this board and the sister board actually read about the program before applying. The program "is designed to help women of color enter the tech field as web developers". Since the program is free and spots are limited, only people who actually meet the requirements should apply. It would be a shame if someone who deserves to be in the program doesn't get a spot simply because forum members are looking for some free credits.

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea
[-] The following 8 users Like OldManOfTheSea's post:
  • ARhead, eriehiker, jch, MNomadic, monchevy, nomaduser, ss20ts, TexasTink
(01-05-2021, 11:29 AM)nomaduser Wrote: I just got their response. They said the next virtual orientation will be held in March. You can register for their new orientation on January 10th!

I don't see how to register. Did you manage to register?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-11-2021, 01:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 11:29 AM)nomaduser Wrote: I just got their response. They said the next virtual orientation will be held in March. You can register for their new orientation on January 10th!

I don't see how to register. Did you manage to register?

"Our current session is full. The next YWeb session is April 5 – June 25, 2021.

Interested in applying? Take the first step and register for an upcoming orientation date (coming soon).

"
So they haven't announced their orientation date yet.
(01-09-2021, 11:08 AM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: Hi all!

*Just a quick reminder since registration will be opening again soon.*

I would hope that members on this board and the sister board actually read about the program before applying. The program "is designed to help women of color enter the tech field as web developers". Since the program is free and spots are limited, only people who actually meet the requirements should apply. It would be a shame if someone who deserves to be in the program doesn't get a spot simply because forum members are looking for some free credits.

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

How is their criteria defined? Is there a specific ethnicity required?  I know lots of things in the US are race based and I do not have a problem with that. But how does one know if one qualifies? Hypothetically if one is mixed race and jewish and refuses to write down ethnicity when it is an option on documents, but knows one would qualify for skin color, but their ethnicity may be marked different for other purposes I have seen situations like that, I think " women of color" is a little too vague of a criteria. Not trying to cause a lengthy debate, just want to suggest the program to some I think may qualify.
(01-11-2021, 01:49 PM)Seagull Wrote: How is their criteria defined? Is there a specific ethnicity required?  I know lots of things in the US are race based and I do not have a problem with that. But how does one know if one qualifies? Hypothetically if one is mixed race and jewish and refuses to write down ethnicity when it is an option on documents, but knows one would qualify for skin color, but their ethnicity may be marked different for other purposes I have seen situations like that, I think " women of color" is a little too vague of a criteria. Not trying to cause a lengthy debate, just want to suggest the program to some I think may qualify.

Higher on the page, it says:

Quote:YWeb Academy program provides education in digital skills to traditionally underrepresented or vulnerable populations, such as women of color, survivors of domestic violence, and low-wage workers.

So I do not think that they are going to restrict entry to anyone. I read it as "if you feel these criteria apply to you, this program is open to you".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Thanks, hadn't read that yet.
I think we all know deep down who this program is intended to help, and whether or not it's really appropriate to apply for it. Do you need this class? Would you have no way to afford this class without this program? Are you part of a vulnerable population? Or do you just want to collect some free credits? You can parse and nitpick the fine print, but really... is this program really aimed at you?

Only you can answer these questions. And only you can decide how you would feel taking a spot from someone who truly does need this, if you merely "want" it. We're all adults here. Come on.
[-] The following 4 users Like monchevy's post:
  • ARhead, BrianFallon, jch, MNomadic
(01-11-2021, 04:34 PM)monchevy Wrote: I think we all know deep down who this program is intended to help, and whether or not it's really appropriate to apply for it. Do you need this class? Would you have no way to afford this class without this program? Are you part of a vulnerable population? Or do you just want to collect some free credits? You can parse and nitpick the fine print, but really... is this program really aimed at you?

Only you can answer these questions. And only you can decide how you would feel taking a spot from someone who truly does need this, if you merely "want" it. We're all adults here. Come on.
Wasn't even looking for it myself but wanted to suggest it to others I know.
[-] The following 2 users Like Seagull's post:
  • rachel83az, StoicJ
(01-11-2021, 05:05 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 04:34 PM)monchevy Wrote: I think we all know deep down who this program is intended to help, and whether or not it's really appropriate to apply for it. Do you need this class? Would you have no way to afford this class without this program? Are you part of a vulnerable population? Or do you just want to collect some free credits? You can parse and nitpick the fine print, but really... is this program really aimed at you?

Wasn't even looking for it myself but wanted to suggest it for others I know. I am not eligible for many reasons and almost done. I would have no use for it. 

The US allows race to be one of the criteria while in other countries such a criteria would be considered racist and discriminatory. 

I would never apply on that basis alone but I know some friends who are struggling that could use it but want to make sure they are eligible.

I agree with what you said. And it is up to the program coordinators to make sure the help goes to the ones eligible for the program. 

The word "women of color" seemed too vague and honestly if it is to help women in need the color should not even be a criteria.

Well, that's why it's best to not take things out of context to make them mean what we'd like them to mean. This is who it says the program is for. It's not for "collectors," it's for women who really need it. I can't believe this even has to be explained.

As part of YWCA Evanston/North Shore’s ongoing mission to eliminate racism and empower women, YWeb Academy program provides education in digital skills to traditionally underrepresented or vulnerable populations, such as women of color, survivors of domestic violence, and low-wage workers. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • ss20ts
Oldmanofthesea highlighted in bold the word "women of color."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,083 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,422 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 583 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,709 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,021 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,695 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,118 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 497 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 610 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,754 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100