Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oakton CC: Free 7 Credit Web Design Class 4 Vulnerable Populations
(03-11-2021, 10:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Unlike the Tulane University Cloud Computing course, Oakton's credits ARE transferrable to another institution. It's a complicated and somewhat confusing sign-up/enrollment process.

Rachel did watch the introduction of the web development course through zoom this morning?

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(03-11-2021, 11:18 AM)gams007 Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 10:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Unlike the Tulane University Cloud Computing course, Oakton's credits ARE transferrable to another institution. It's a complicated and somewhat confusing sign-up/enrollment process.

Rachel did watch the introduction of the web development course through zoom this morning?

I was in the Zoom meeting today, yes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Photo 
(03-11-2021, 11:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 11:18 AM)gams007 Wrote:

I was in the Zoom meeting today, yes.

I post 2 attachments of the Web Development Course, you need to complete 2 courses that's a total of 7 RA free credit.

Attached Files
.jpg   Web Development 1.jpg (Size: 171.53 KB / Downloads: 28)
.jpg   Web Development.jpg (Size: 224.01 KB / Downloads: 27)

In progress:
Completed:
(03-11-2021, 11:07 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wait. You were able to register for this? I always thought it was for women and that's the reason I never asked... maybe I should get my wife or sisters and female friends into this if I can't get in... hmm... interesting though...

It's aimed at vulnerable, under-served people who can't afford it otherwise. Not just anyone who wants to get some free credits. I'm a woman, and wouldn't dream of taking a place away from someone who really needs it. That would be like going to a food pantry and stocking up when you can well afford to buy groceries, but hey, it's free, and there's no law against it!! Gimme gimme!! SMDH at some people.
It is the institution job to screen the applicants and determine the need. No one should judge who can or cannot apply. If one feels they need it then they can apply. Why scaring people away from applying? Let them be the judge of their own situation. The problem with this mentality is it scares away the very group who needs it the most as often poor people feel like it is not for them or they are not poor enough or too white or not a woman and they who need it the most do not apply.
[-] The following 4 users Like Seagull's post:
  • BadBradsBBQ, brainfroze, rachel83az, StoicJ
For those who enrolled in the class, how is it going? How much work does it take for the assignments? Are your instructor led classes time based?
If you've never touched ANY HTML before (which most of the class has not), it's got a steep learning curve. The classes are pretty casual and the instructor is nice. The web web design classes are held Monday - Thursday for 3 hours in the evening. There is also a career planning class/workshop (not for credit) on Wednesday mornings. I would say that the whole thing might be worth it for the career workshop alone.

For the assignments, it depends heavily on your skills/knowledge and how much you've been paying attention. Some people finished their first couple of assignments within a few days. Others are still working on their first assignment. I'm having issues with this week's assignment because I haven't been able to focus very well this week.

There is a book (we were not charged for it) and it helps but only so much.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Thank you so much for update
Yes thank you for the update. I'm thinking of attending the next session if they have one soon.
For ones who missed the last opportunity, here a new chance to study in web development.

https://www.ywcamadison.org/what-were-do...r-academy/

The course starts in September

In progress:
Completed:
[-] The following 1 user Likes gams007's post:
  • MNomadic
(06-16-2021, 08:49 PM)gams007 Wrote: For ones who missed the last opportunity, here a new chance to study in web development.

https://www.ywcamadison.org/what-were-do...r-academy/

The course starts in September

Cool! I hope that program is better than the current one for Evanston/Oakton.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,893 Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 18 4,013 04-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,203 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,530 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 660 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,796 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,099 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,817 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,219 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 581 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM