Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official University Certificate for $200 (best quality deal)
(09-24-2020, 12:01 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: It'll help you make better decisions in the voting booth.

Doubtful. I find that most people who say that they have read Ayn Rand’s books a) haven’t -or- b) don’t understand them. They associate her with anarchy and libertarianism, both of which she despised. They tend to apply her theories of the individual, ironically enough, to the collective in justifying things like public religion/the blending of religion and politics as well as the use of force, all of which she equally despised.  Most people also don’t really consider her writing in HER context as someone who came of age and was educated in the early days of the Soviet Union. It is not at all ironic, then, that she has become a favorite of many neoconservatives who, themselves, are born of a political-philosophical tradition that traces itself back directly to a group of reformed Communists and fellow travelers. 

Egoism?  Sure, it sounds good to be rational and do what is in your self-interest, until the peasants revolt and eliminate the classes of people who, by virtue of their elevated station in life (whether by birth or their own creation is, in very anti-Randian terms, irrelevant), have the ability to live the “enlightened” life of an egoist. But then, what would someone who lived through the birth of the Soviet Union know of such things....
(09-24-2020, 03:29 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 12:01 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: It'll help you make better decisions in the voting booth.

Doubtful. I find that most people who say that they have read Ayn Rand’s books a) haven’t -or- b) don’t understand them. They associate her with anarchy and libertarianism, both of which she despised. They tend to apply her theories of the individual, ironically enough, to the collective in justifying things like public religion/the blending of religion and politics as well as the use of force, all of which she equally despised.  Most people also don’t really consider her writing in HER context as someone who came of age and was educated in the early days of the Soviet Union. It is not at all ironic, then, that she has become a favorite of many neoconservatives who, themselves, are born of a political-philosophical tradition that traces itself back directly to a group of reformed Communists and fellow travelers. 

Egoism?  Sure, it sounds good to be rational and do what is in your self-interest, until the peasants revolt and eliminate the classes of people who, by virtue of their elevated station in life (whether by birth or their own creation is, in very anti-Randian terms, irrelevant), have the ability to live the “enlightened” life of an egoist. But then, what would someone who lived through the birth of the Soviet Union know of such things....

I was referring to Milton Friedman.

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • SCYankee
Thumbs Up 
I am not an Ayn Rand fan and I hate fiction, but Milton Friedman is brilliant.  The last 20-min of each video is a panel challenging him. Big Grin   

These are the videos you will watch.

Free To Choose is the ground-breaking PBS television series featuring Milton Friedman, Nobel Prize-winning economist.
https://www.freetochoosenetwork.org/prog...dex_80.php
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

These videos are a treasure. Thomas Sowell who studied under Friedman has done so much on his research on affirmative action and welfare. He makes a few appearances in this series. I love the episode on how some students inherit musical talent from their parents, no different than inheriting wealth or any other advantage from their parents. Somehow we penalize those who inherit money vs talent who use it to make money.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
  • Life Long Learning
I am a fan of Milton Friedman and an even bigger fan of Ayn Rand. I imagine I would LOVE working on this certificate.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Serious question: how does one reconcile deregulation and reliance on the genius of the free market (which is really predicated on the idea of perfectly knowledgeable market participants) with government support for corporations?  The corporation, as a matter of law and policy, is a person created by the state. It is a fictive legal person vested with vast powers, including immortality and the ability to earn money while paying a significantly lower amount of taxes than a biological person. As a practical matter, the function of the corporation is to achieve things (like economies of scale, monopoly, and the ability to compel action on the part of consumers like mandating arbitration) that a biological person is incapable of doing. The corporation, in other words, exists for the sole purpose of disrupting, not supporting, the free market.  What, for instance, is limited liability, but a means of co-opting the normal recourse that a biological person has to bring suit against another biological person?  How, then, does one support both “unregulated” free markets and corporations?  To my mind, that is like saying you advocate for the harmonious mixing of vinegar and oil. Sure, tastes good on a salad (works as an abstraction disarticulated from reality), but it doesn’t actually work in the real world.
(09-24-2020, 06:39 PM)freeloader Wrote: Serious question: how does one reconcile deregulation and reliance on the genius of the free market (which is really predicated on the idea of perfectly knowledgeable market participants) with government support for corporations?

I think this is a great point for discussion, and I know I'll answer if you ask the questions in "Off Topic".
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
A C corporation pays taxes on the front end and on the back end.  The biological person who owns the corporation is taxed on money before it is distributed to them and after it is distributed to them.  The tax is highly unfair, especially since the government hasn't purchased any shares in the company, but somehow is entitled to 21% of the profits - not the shareholder.  Yet partnerships pay zero tax and also have unlimited life.  

Limited liability protects the person from judgement and is a fair system.  If one contributed $1000 in capital to a company, and received a 1% ownership, their liability is limited to the 1% where as the rest of the owners would make up for the other 99% of liability.

Of course an individual is capable of creating a monopoly, food deserts in inner cities, or real estate investors who buy up blocks of housing who control the rental prices by blocking competition.  Gas stations in the middle of nowhere always seem to charge way more than gas stations that have plenty of competition.  

Unregulated free markets are regulated by the consumer, by either voting with their feet or through a court system.  It worked very well in the 19th century.  Those companies that provide crappy services go out of business, while those that provide services and products people value get rewarded with profits.  Capitalism is the fairest system of all.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 2 users Like videogamesrock's post:
  • SCYankee, Thorne
I’m into module 2. This is a great course thank you !!

MA in progress
AAS & AGS
  • Life Long Learning
(09-26-2020, 11:43 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: I’m into module 2.  This is a great course thank you !!

When you get the Certificate in official degree cover and letter package in the mail after you are done you will be glad you did. Big Grin   If or when Wes emails you tell him a recent graduate spoke highly of this opportunity. Wink
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,479 3 hours ago
Last Post: Kab
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 220 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,609 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,542 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,934 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,240 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,604 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 348 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 480 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar