Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie EC GPA Question
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and online programs in general. I am curious as to how EC or the other 2 in the big 3 determine GPA for their students.

I will be applying for an officers commission in the USAF when I finish my degree and it requires that I have a degree that has a GPA.

Also, I have 39 hours from a brick and mortar University of Texas school. I have the following courses:

English Composition
English Rhetoric
History I
History II
Political Science I
College Algebra
Art Appreciation
Theater Appreciation
Technical Production II
Presentational Speaking
Linux/Unix Programming Environment
and a few others.

How many of these do you all think will xfer and be counted towards my degree at EC? Also, which program at EC is notoriously the easiest to get through? My degree at the UT school was going to be in mathematics, but I need one to check off on my OTS application now, so I am willing to major in just about anything.

Thanks in advance, guys! Smile
Welcome! EC will award you two GPA's. One will be your overall GPA which will include your previous course work they apply and your EC coursework, CLEPS/DSST etc. Then they also show your EC GPA for work completed just through them. I don't believe TESC will award you any GPA for courses transferred in or done through CLEP/DSST. I may be wrong, but I believe that is the policy I have seen mentioned here on the board.

EC will maximize the credits they can use. I would highly recommend that you sign up for free at their website and look at their catalogs. I wouldl think based on you have some arts and sciences you would be fastest to get a liberal studies degree. I used an assortment of old B&M credits and some CLEP/DSST exams to get my AS in liberal arts from EC last year, and just completed my BSLS with them using nothing more than CLEP/DSST exams and my old classes and EC exams along with one ALEKS algebra class. It took me 11 months to complete the BSLS. If you have more time to test, you could complete it much faster.

I would recommend that you look at their catalog and see the credit distribution chart, then print off Alissa's degree plan here on the board and fill it in. Then you will know where you stand.

Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Welcome to the forum!

Marianne mentioned Alissa's degree plan template for a BS in Liberal Studies. In case you have not found it already, here is the link:

http://www.degreeforum.net/62322-post10.html

You can choose to pursue just the BSLS (very flexible) or with some alterations to this plan you can include a major (30 credits) and/or a minor (area of focus - 21 credits).
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I have read the TESC discussions about getting a GPA. Since TESC does not give a GPA for transfer credits, their students with lots of transfer credits have to decide whether getting a grade for one TESC course is worth it to them/grad school.

Since EC is unusual and uses grades from transfer credits towards a GPA, I had not considered needing an EC course/exam for an EC GPA. (I won't have one for the associate degree, but it is too soon to say what will happen with a bachelor's degree.) There are 2 GPAs calculated; what would be the pros and cons to having a GPA for transfer credits and no GPA for EC?

Thanks for your input on this.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

NAP Wrote:I have read the TESC discussions about getting a GPA. Since TESC does not give a GPA for transfer credits, their students with lots of transfer credits have to decide whether getting a grade for one TESC course is worth it to them/grad school.

Since EC is unusual and uses grades from transfer credits towards a GPA, I had not considered needing an EC course/exam for an EC GPA. (I won't have one for the associate degree, but it is too soon to say what will happen with a bachelor's degree.) There are 2 GPAs calculated; what would be the pros and cons to having a GPA for transfer credits and no GPA for EC?

Thanks for your input on this.

The Uexcel exams are considered EC credit and count toward the Excelsior GPA, so I would recommend taking one of those for anyone who wants both an EC GPA and an overall GPA.

As for graduate school, if they have a problem they will contact you and ask you to consult with EC for a traditional GPA. I applied to Ball State earlier last year (changed my mind about attending) but they sent me a letter saying something like, "It appears the school you attended uses a non-traditional grading system. Please contact your school and provide us with a GPA calculation based on a traditional scoring system. Please do not let this deter your efforts to attend Ball State, we are willing to accept an approved GPA calculation based on your grades..." Of course I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the letter right here, but you could do a GPA calculation like TESC students who have no GPA and submit that with your grad school application.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Thank you Alissa! It is good to know there are options available.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Wow, thank you all for all the great information given in this thread!

I stumbled upon this website BS in 6 Months Roadmap, Month 1 (freshman courses) earlier today. Can you seasoned vets take a look at it and tell me if it is totally unfeasible and or if any EC policies have changed since the author created the write up.

Thanks Smile
- CLEP English Comp w/ Essay or Excelsior's English Comp
Excelsior does not take CLEP English Comp anymore. Excelsior's English Comp ECE is $345. You can now take the Uexcel College Writing to fullfill this for $85, but its only 3 credits, so you'd have to adjust accordingly. Both the ECE and Uexcel test use the same software system for grading, and you get it free with signing up for the ECE or you can pay $30 for 90 days for practice for the Uexcel.
- CLEP Humanities
- CLEP Natural Sciences
- CLEP Social Sciences and History
Those three are fine
- CLEP College Algebra (or CLEP Algebra w/ Trig)
I'd recommend CLEP College Mathematics instead of College Alg, and any for other Math credits you might need, I'd suggest ALEKs instead.
- Enroll in Excelsior College's Information Literacy Course
Go with Penn Fosters Info Lit course instead, unless you just want to blow extra money. You can get it done in a couple hours, its only $90, and they'll send a transcript to Excelsior for free once the course is completed.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
One thing I did notice was that the plan you were looking at was for a degree in business. This is why College Alg was in there instead of college math, because the degree requires a Precalc level math as one of its core classes, along with Statistics. I advocate going through ALEKs over CLEPing/DSSTing out of either of those, but that's just the way I see it.

And it looks like you don't have to worry about the Eng Comp requirements since you've already got that through the B&M credits you have.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:One thing I did notice was that the plan you were looking at was for a degree in business. This is why College Alg was in there instead of college math, because the degree requires a Precalc level math as one of its core classes, along with Statistics. I advocate going through ALEKs over CLEPing/DSSTing out of either of those, but that's just the way I see it.

And it looks like you don't have to worry about the Eng Comp requirements since you've already got that through the B&M credits you have.

Thank you, TMW2010, for all of the help! Smile

Mathematics and and statistics won't be a problem. I've studied all the way to calculus 3 by myself on my own time, so it's definitely my strongest point.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,669 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,463 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,657 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,010 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,740 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,985 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,993 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,817 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 2,029 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,968 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium