Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old timer hoping to finally finish his degree. Advice appreciated.
(11-03-2022, 10:37 PM)Vin Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 09:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU Info Lit on edx micro bachelors, I just updated the post yesterday: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid381132

Nope, I meant 5 e-packs or courses, plus the PLA100.  This will cost you the roughly $5K for tuition reimbursement.  If you take the easy courses or the Associates capstone as I mentioned, you'll be doing 3 e-packs and the two easy courses, plus the PLA100.  Wait to graduate with the Bachelors.

For the Bachelors, in 2023, take the next $5K in reimbursement to complete two Capstones and you'll be done with the BSBA CIS and the BACS (if you decide on both, one after the other).  When this is complete, you can use the remainder of your reimbursement for something else... like the $3K MBA at HAU.

The problem with e-Pack is you are limited with courses and you don't get a grade. https://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=EP
I need a few courses to bring my GPA up on some of my previous credits.  If I can bring my GPA up with graded courses then I'll get credit for an additional history course and elective for 6 total credits.

Please check with your employer if you need a grade! Some employers require a grade and a specific grade such as a B or higher for reimbursement. I wouldn't sign up for anything until getting this info from your employer.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle, Vin
You may want to review the WIKi again for courses you may be interested in for grades/GPA purposes: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...University
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vin
(11-04-2022, 12:36 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 10:37 PM)Vin Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 09:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU Info Lit on edx micro bachelors, I just updated the post yesterday: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid381132

Nope, I meant 5 e-packs or courses, plus the PLA100.  This will cost you the roughly $5K for tuition reimbursement.  If you take the easy courses or the Associates capstone as I mentioned, you'll be doing 3 e-packs and the two easy courses, plus the PLA100.  Wait to graduate with the Bachelors.

For the Bachelors, in 2023, take the next $5K in reimbursement to complete two Capstones and you'll be done with the BSBA CIS and the BACS (if you decide on both, one after the other).  When this is complete, you can use the remainder of your reimbursement for something else... like the $3K MBA at HAU.

The problem with e-Pack is you are limited with courses and you don't get a grade. https://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=EP
I need a few courses to bring my GPA up on some of my previous credits.  If I can bring my GPA up with graded courses then I'll get credit for an additional history course and elective for 6 total credits.

Please check with your employer if you need a grade! Some employers require a grade and a specific grade such as a B or higher for reimbursement. I wouldn't sign up for anything until getting this info from your employer.
No grade necessary just pass or C or above. 

I'm not sure if I want to go for a double degree yet I'm just trying to get my BA as quick as possible for now.  If along the route I change my mind so be it.

So far here's what my updated plan looks like.  https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqhKFEdFM3UvtThKIds7...N?e=uT4WLm
For reference SOP = Sophia.Org, SDC = Study.com.
I welcome any feedback.
47. "Old timer"? lol. I wouldn't be surprised that more than half the people on this board are in the 40's or older.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ifomonay's post:
  • Slammyelis
(09-24-2022, 12:46 PM)Vin Wrote: In order to move into a VP role in my company I was told that I need to pursue a degree. At my age I have a ton of work experience but now I'm kicking myself for never just hunkering down and finishing my degree.

What I'm curious about the most is given the amount of experience I have how much of this can I fast track by just testing out for credits?

Here's my info:   

Your Location: New Jersey, USA
Your Age: 47
What kind of degree do you want?: Bachelors in Computer related field.  I currently work in IT and figure a Bachelors in IT would make the most sense since I'm already in that field.

Current Regional Accredited Credits:  I did attend NJIT back in 1993-95 and had TESU do a transcript eval, here was their response

Your current Academic Evaluation indicates that you have 75 semester hours (SH) remaining to complete your BSBA in Computer Information Systems. 
Based on your current Academic Evaluation, I recommend that you consider registering for one or more of the following Thomas Edison State University courses. Please note that course recommendations below are based solely on currently available transfer and course completion information.
                        ENC-102:       English Composition II (ENC-102)
                             This course will fulfill one of your General Education requirements.
                        SOS-110:        Living in the Information Age (SOS-110)
                             This course will fulfill one of your General Education requirements.

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: none

Any certifications or military experience? I have an ITIL Foundations Certifications, Villanova Master Certificate in IT Service Management, Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems,
Budget: I make a decent salary and can probably come up with 5K right now and more later.
Commitments: I have a family and a full time job and work about 10 hours per day.  My job is very stressful and can sometimes consume my time.
Dedicated time to study:  I can probably study 1-2 hours per weekday and 4-6 hours during the weekend.  Total approximately 10 -15 hours per week.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 4 years if possible.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: my employer provides Tuition reimbursement I believe 5K per year.

I highly recommend Study.com for getting credits in fast with a flexible schedule. It's perfect for someone in your situation who needs to just finish off a degree. You would enroll in one of their partner schools but then take most credits from them and transfer them over. I've been doing that and been able to squish 4 semesters into the time of 1.
(10-30-2022, 12:45 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Liberal Arts Math or English Comp (2, especially) are both reputed to be relatively easy TECEP exams. If you're just doing this for enrollment purposes, paying for (but not taking), the $50 Medical Terminology TECEP will suffice.

@rachel83az, Will the enrollment be for another year or just the term of the TECEP chosen?
Any time you pay for a TECEP (and don't get a refund), that extends your enrollment for approximately another 12 months.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 73 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 160 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 137 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 77 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,730 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 196 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,552 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 123 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 213 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32