Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Once again, guide me towards a Computer Degree
syslogv3 Wrote:Do you think that the Associate in Science in Technology (Computer Technologies) degree from Excelsior would be about the same?

I ask because it seems like Excelsior would be about half the cost of TESC for me. Any insight?

Thanks!

I don't know how your courses will transfer over to Excelsior, but they would be cheaper for an associate's degree. If you're going on to a bachelor's, then the cost difference is not as simple. TESC accepts free FEMA courses directly as free electives. Excelsior requires that you have them transcribed by a community college that charges $77 per credit hour. If you don't already have a lot of credits that will go into free electives, then the FEMA courses TESC accepts for free will make TESC about the same price or less for a bachelor's degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I've created a mock-up of what could be my plan. I've better organized my classes and look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Please let me know if you know that something will not work. Do the CIS courses all need to be upper level?
.xls   Less than 1 minute ago">possible degree plan.xls (Size: 15 KB / Downloads: 0)
The computer courses you put in general education, if you can put some of those in CIS, then you should. There are plenty of other tests for general education electives. Also, some CIS courses might not be counted as natural sciences. If you somehow fall short on CIS electives, you can earn 4 CIS credits for free through TEEX. There are also the Management Information Systems DSST and Networking Technologies TECEP. Penn Foster might offer a course or two that you can use. Intro to Business will not count for Business Law. The course you're going to have to specifically find is Systems Analysis and Design. KCTCS will be offering a similar course soon, but I would get it pre-approved by TESC. Or, you can take the course at your current college. You no longer need pre-calculus for the BSBAs. College algebra will do. If you want to know how to fill the business core, I made a plan for the BSBA in General Management. The core is the same for all BSBA programs.

Sanantone's BSBA General Management - Degree Forum Wiki
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think that I will go for the BSBA courses first since I have more of those to do. I am taking system analysis and design this semester at my local community college. After I get the business core out of the way, I will apply to TESC and see what I need to get the rest of the CIS courses done. Do you have any other thoughts or tips? Thank you for all of your help!!
Thank you for your help so far! I just signed up for System Analysis and Design at my local community college. I am also going to start SL business classes this month or at the beginning of September. (After I order books so I do not have to wait to start). I hope to post my progress periodically, maybe to motivate others, but mainly to motivate myself to finish. If I play my cards right, I can graduate with a BSBA:CIS next June.
Can someone give me an idea of how far along I'd be into the BSHS:Emergency Disaster degree?

The reason I'm asking is that I am in a Safety Coordinator position right now and feel that it may help me more than a CIS degree.

I don't want to do it if it means 20 more classes than the CIS degree though.

Based on the list of courses I've already posted, are there any ideas?

Thank you!

An update to my CIS degree: I am taking System analysis and design right now as well as two SL courses. Yay!
Do y'all have any input on this for me? Thanks!
While I'm at it, I might as well say that I believe that with all of my computer classes and previous credits I am just a capstone course away from an AAS Technical Studies (computer technologies) via Excelsior. It will cost me $1,640 to apply, take the capstone and graduate. I can finish my associates at my local CC for about $1,200, but it would take me another 6 months or longer. Any thoughts on this ?
I'm almost done with the System Analysis and Design class...

So, based on that and my previously posted list of completed classes (also posted an excel file), what would be the fastest BA or BS degree for me to complete, at any of the big three.

I've been slowly taking classes and just want to get all of this finished. I am able to take CLEPs / DSSTS, SL, PF.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, I'm at over 100 credits with no UL credits.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,354 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,966 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,888 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,783 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,023 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,332 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627