Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your learning style?
(07-10-2021, 04:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 02:39 PM)sanantone Wrote: I don't like reading transcripts either because they're not designed to convey information in written form. What seems like natural language in a spoken lecture isn't so natural when reading it.

Many of the Sophia classes aren't transcripts. They call it that but they're not word for word what the person says in the videos. This may not be true in all of the classes. It also depends on which person's videos you watch. Some of them are less than exciting. Some are pretty good. By the end of College Algebra I wanted Anthony to be my permanent math teacher. I couldn't stand the other instructors in that class.

I tried the macroeconomics or microeconomics course years ago when they were offering a free course. I didn't finish it. Study.com gave me a year's worth of free courses, and I didn't finish one. Wesley Biblical Seminary offered free tuition, and I didn't finish anything. It's so bad. LOL. It's amazing that I completed two master's degrees without medication.

(07-10-2021, 03:42 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 02:20 PM)sanantone Wrote: I learned years ago that the learning style theories are not based on research. Considering that I have ADHD, I learn from whatever I can pay attention to. Visual and audio lectures need to be interesting, and they're usually not. This is why I ended up avoiding Sophia and Study.com.

I don’t know if I have ADHD, (never diagnosed with it - but my son has it), but I can definitely say that certain types of things just do not keep my interest.  I am really TRYING to read this information for my classes at Walden and I just can’t.  I just finally finished reading 5 pages.  I think I started to fall asleep 6-7 times.  The same was true when I had a professor who just read from his book in a monotone voice.  I could NOT stay awake in that class no matter what I tried to do.   For me, it seems like I am good with watching a (charismatic) video then following up with some sort of interactive activity (like multiple choice with immediate feedback or something).  THEN I might be able to write a paper on a related topic.  So, I am struggling and just wanting to find something that works for me.  I got ONE competency finished.  ONE.  And the term ends August 2nd.  It’s not looking good for me to finish 3.75 credits.  
Since I couldn’t stay awake on my reading, I popped over to this forum….  Bad…. I know…..  but this keeps me awake.

That's another free thing I quit. Walden had a free term promotion, and I withdrew a couple of weeks in. Money has to be on the line to motivate me with the exception of short courses. I managed to finish the USF certificate course.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Vle045
(07-10-2021, 09:25 PM)sanantone Wrote: I tried the macroeconomics or microeconomics course years ago when they were offering a free course. I didn't finish it. Study.com gave me a year's worth of free courses, and I didn't finish one. Wesley Biblical Seminary offered free tuition, and I didn't finish anything. It's so bad. LOL. It's amazing that I completed two master's degrees without medication.

Study.com's courses look soooooooooo long. I can't even wrap my head around 87 lessons. I've never done anything there. Sophia I did like 6 classes. I had a year free and did 1 class. I just went to UMPI and finished my degree. I'm in grad school now and really miss UMPI. I'm not uber excited to be back on a semester schedule with discussions and weekly papers. It is what is. 5 more terms and I'll have my MS in project management. That's what I keep telling myself. Tomorrow ends my second week and I'm already over the cited discussions. My ADHD really dislikes them. Like why can't we just have a conversation? The professors complain that we're doing the minimum required and there isn't more conversation. Well no duh. We have to research all of our responses. No thanks!
(07-10-2021, 09:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 09:25 PM)sanantone Wrote: I tried the macroeconomics or microeconomics course years ago when they were offering a free course. I didn't finish it. Study.com gave me a year's worth of free courses, and I didn't finish one. Wesley Biblical Seminary offered free tuition, and I didn't finish anything. It's so bad. LOL. It's amazing that I completed two master's degrees without medication.

Study.com's courses look soooooooooo long. I can't even wrap my head around 87 lessons. I've never done anything there. Sophia I did like 6 classes. I had a year free and did 1 class. I just went to UMPI and finished my degree. I'm in grad school now and really miss UMPI. I'm not uber excited to be back on a semester schedule with discussions and weekly papers. It is what is. 5 more terms and I'll have my MS in project management. That's what I keep telling myself. Tomorrow ends my second week and I'm already over the cited discussions. My ADHD really dislikes them. Like why can't we just have a conversation? The professors complain that we're doing the minimum required and there isn't more conversation. Well no duh. We have to research all of our responses. No thanks!

I wish you the best. Writing long papers is tough for me. My second master's didn't have a lot of papers, but I had to do a capstone project, and that was torture. I chose the non-thesis option, and I still had to write a thesis-length paper. The tears.  Cry
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-10-2021, 09:39 PM)sanantone Wrote: I wish you the best. Writing long papers is tough for me. My second master's didn't have a lot of papers, but I had to do a capstone project, and that was torture. I chose the non-thesis option, and I still had to write a thesis-length paper. The tears.  Cry

How is the non-thesis option the same length? I'm not super excited about the capstone either. I kind of want to just get it over with. LOL
(07-10-2021, 09:25 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 04:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 02:39 PM)sanantone Wrote: I don't like reading transcripts either because they're not designed to convey information in written form. What seems like natural language in a spoken lecture isn't so natural when reading it.

Many of the Sophia classes aren't transcripts. They call it that but they're not word for word what the person says in the videos. This may not be true in all of the classes. It also depends on which person's videos you watch. Some of them are less than exciting. Some are pretty good. By the end of College Algebra I wanted Anthony to be my permanent math teacher. I couldn't stand the other instructors in that class.

I tried the macroeconomics or microeconomics course years ago when they were offering a free course. I didn't finish it. Study.com gave me a year's worth of free courses, and I didn't finish one. Wesley Biblical Seminary offered free tuition, and I didn't finish anything. It's so bad. LOL. It's amazing that I completed two master's degrees without medication.

(07-10-2021, 03:42 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 02:20 PM)sanantone Wrote: I learned years ago that the learning style theories are not based on research. Considering that I have ADHD, I learn from whatever I can pay attention to. Visual and audio lectures need to be interesting, and they're usually not. This is why I ended up avoiding Sophia and Study.com.

I don’t know if I have ADHD, (never diagnosed with it - but my son has it), but I can definitely say that certain types of things just do not keep my interest.  I am really TRYING to read this information for my classes at Walden and I just can’t.  I just finally finished reading 5 pages.  I think I started to fall asleep 6-7 times.  The same was true when I had a professor who just read from his book in a monotone voice.  I could NOT stay awake in that class no matter what I tried to do.   For me, it seems like I am good with watching a (charismatic) video then following up with some sort of interactive activity (like multiple choice with immediate feedback or something).  THEN I might be able to write a paper on a related topic.  So, I am struggling and just wanting to find something that works for me.  I got ONE competency finished.  ONE.  And the term ends August 2nd.  It’s not looking good for me to finish 3.75 credits.  
Since I couldn’t stay awake on my reading, I popped over to this forum….  Bad…. I know…..  but this keeps me awake.

That's another free thing I quit. Walden had a free term promotion, and I withdrew a couple of weeks in. Money has to be on the line to motivate me with the exception of short courses. I managed to finish the USF certificate course.

I think I know what you mean, to a certain extent.  I am in the free term for Walden.  I don’t know how I will do by the end. But, I’m getting some practice at least. I understand what I am reading. I just get stuck with the writing part.  I’d probably do fine conversing with someone about it though. LOL.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(07-10-2021, 09:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Study.com's courses look soooooooooo long. I can't even wrap my head around 87 lessons. I've never done anything there. Sophia I did like 6 classes.

SDC might look long but they're more like Sophia courses. Each of SDC's lessons equates to a challenge section at Sophia, complete with the quiz questions. Statistics has 5 units (these would be chapters at SDC) with 20 challenges and a total of 142 sections within those challenges. That'd be 142 lessons at SDC. The SDC courses only look longer because they're formatted differently.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-11-2021, 04:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 09:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Study.com's courses look soooooooooo long. I can't even wrap my head around 87 lessons. I've never done anything there. Sophia I did like 6 classes.

SDC might look long but they're more like Sophia courses. Each of SDC's lessons equates to a challenge section at Sophia, complete with the quiz questions. Statistics has 5 units (these would be chapters at SDC) with 20 challenges and a total of 142 sections within those challenges. That'd be 142 lessons at SDC. The SDC courses only look longer because they're formatted differently.

I just looked on Sophia and I did about a dozen classes. More than I thought! They way they have the classes structured with Challenges was much easier to wrap my head around. Just seeing a class with 87 or 142 lessons sounds like it will take forever especially when it says the videos are 6-8 minutes long. I read most of my Sophia classes so they were much shorter than watching the videos. I wonder if Study.com had a way to display the courses before you sign like Sophia into Units so it looks like less what kind of impact that would have. One of those psychological things.
I'm all 4! Yay for VARK! I can't learn without a mix of everything. I get bored really easily and my attention span is very low...

Imbanewbie Wrote:I also want to learn how to take good notes. I am highlighting almost everything. Do you have some advice?

Everyone has their own style of writing notes. Highlighting information is a good way, I incorporate a few things as well.
1) Enter your own "Coles Notes" version of the details you're studying for review to aid you in remembering the info
2) Practice a bit of typing by creating your own version of chapter notes for the recommended text-books

Write your own "Coles Notes" version on things you don't fully grasp. Re-read the chapter summary and create a list of info to review if you don't understand those points. This way, you get some more typing practice and memory retention of the info, you don't have to print it, save as a word doc or PDFs.

Another option: Creating flash cards or using the ones online already you can find on Quizlet or some other site. The local library may have much more and all that you need (including examples of past tests). I would also take a look at online practice tests if you can find some. Maybe find some videos.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-11-2021, 11:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Everyone has their own style of writing notes.  Highlighting information is a good way, I incorporate a few things as well.
1) Enter your own "Coles Notes" version of the details you're studying for review to aid you in remembering the info
2) Practice a bit of typing by creating your own version of chapter notes for the recommended text-books

Write your own "Coles Notes" version on things you don't fully grasp. Re-read the chapter summary and create a list of info to review if you don't understand those points. This way, you get some more typing practice and memory retention of the info, you don't have to print it, save as a word doc or PDFs.

Another option: Creating flash cards or using the ones online already you can find on Quizlet or some other site. The local library may have much more and all that you need (including examples of past tests).  I would also take a look at online practice tests if you can find some. Maybe find some videos.

What the heck are Cole Notes?
Cliffs Notes. They're the same thing, Cliffs Notes is an American version of a Study Guide, it's much better than reading a big multi-hundred text book. It's like a shortened version of the text, concise and hold the main points. Coles Notes, is the Canadian version...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 274 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,094 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,332 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 823 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,098 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 1,021 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Ways to Use ChatGPT for Language Learning? LevelUP 1 531 01-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Genius Group (Amazon of Lifelong Learning) bjcheung77 0 389 10-15-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Learning and Accreditation Alpha 0 482 10-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Portage Learning RoyalSpade 0 579 09-02-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: RoyalSpade