Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online IT, Info Systems master's degree that can be finished in a year?
(01-16-2021, 07:54 AM)Cofffeee Wrote: Letter of recommendation can come from your clients . If they agree to write one and if they have good standing . I dont see why it cant be done by them

Yes, letters of recommendation can technically come from anyone (coworkers, clients, friends, family, etc.)  However, unless they originate from a verified academic source they won't carry a lot of weight in the evaluation process. The best recommendations are always from people in academia (former professors, college administrators, research associates, high school teachers/counselors, etc.)

The school asks for LoR's because they want someone else to vouch for your ability to successfully complete college-level academic work and conduct original research. So while business recommendations and character recommendations are valuable, they are unlikely to provide an academic voucher in the eyes of a review board. The board wants to hear from people who have worked with you in an academic or research setting and can vouch for your academic ability.

That said, unless the school is competitive entry, this probably won't matter too much.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-13-2021, 01:24 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Hello guys,

Do you know any online IT or Information Systems master's degree program that can be finished within a year?
I'm looking for a self-paced, quick IT-related master's degree program from a well-known university.
I know NAU has a competency-based computer IT master but I'm not a big fan of NAU.

Thanks Smile

What don't you like about NAU? Just curious. There's not a ton of master's in IT which are designed to be completed in a year let alone self paced. The only other options I can see are WGU and possibly Walden if they are still offering Tempo which is their CBE program. Capella and Purdue Global don't offer a MS in IT as CBE programs. And what do you mean by a well known university? I mean if you're looking for Harvard, you're going to be out of luck. 
(01-17-2021, 01:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What don't you like about NAU? Just curious. There's not a ton of master's in IT which are designed to be completed in a year let alone self paced. The only other options I can see are WGU and possibly Walden if they are still offering Tempo which is their CBE program. Capella and Purdue Global don't offer a MS in IT as CBE programs. And what do you mean by a well known university? I mean if you're looking for Harvard, you're going to be out of luck. 

I think they're not very popular at all. I've never heard of them honestly.
UoA is a popular university in my opinion. I may go with that option. But it indeed costs some money.
(01-17-2021, 03:59 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 01:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What don't you like about NAU? Just curious. There's not a ton of master's in IT which are designed to be completed in a year let alone self paced. The only other options I can see are WGU and possibly Walden if they are still offering Tempo which is their CBE program. Capella and Purdue Global don't offer a MS in IT as CBE programs. And what do you mean by a well known university? I mean if you're looking for Harvard, you're going to be out of luck. 

I think they're not very popular at all. I've never heard of them honestly.
UoA is a popular university in my opinion. I may go with that option. But it indeed costs some money.

I wouldn't say NAU isn't very popular. They have about 30,000 students enrolled currently. Not exact a small school. There's thousands of colleges in the US. No one has heard of all of them. There's more to a degree than school name recognition. I mean look at Capella and University of Phoenix. Most people have heard of at least one of them and they are not well thought of because of past issues. I mean unless you're a Harvard or Yale grad or something on par with the Ivy League, then name recognition isn't a big deal. In many parts of the US, the University of Arizona doesn't mean much. It's on the other side of the country for most people. And from Alaska....eh whatever. LOL
To an Arizonan, there are only 3 schools: ASU, NAU, UofA.

In reality, there are a bunch more colleges and universities in Arizona (Rio Salado, Gateway, University of Phoenix, DeVry, etc.), but if you want to go to a "real" university then you go to one of those three.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • nomaduser
(01-17-2021, 04:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: To an Arizonan, there are only 3 schools: ASU, NAU, UofA.

In reality, there are a bunch more colleges and universities in Arizona (Rio Salado, Gateway, University of Phoenix, DeVry, etc.), but if you want to go to a "real" university then you go to one of those three.

It's a shame so many poor reputation/for profits came from AZ: GCU, UoP, Devry, etc. Since the 3 main Universities(ASU UoA, NAU) are pretty good.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 3 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • nomaduser, rachel83az, ss20ts
(01-17-2021, 04:48 PM)MNomadic Wrote: It's a shame so many poor reputation/for profits came from AZ: GCU, UoP, Devry, etc. Since the 3 main Universities(ASU UoA, NAU) are pretty good.

I wonder why so many do come from AZ. Is it easier to start a for profit U in AZ compared to other states?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,723 533,337 24 minutes ago
Last Post: nykorn
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,059 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 7 380 04-13-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,248 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 324 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 185 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 589 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 471 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 629 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 575 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM