Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Law degrees
(05-01-2022, 01:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: JD = Juris Doctorate

How is that not a doctorate? It is NOT a master's degree. A master's in law is a LLM = Master of Law.

JD is 80+ credits.

All you need to do is google the question and you will see that there is no real consensus on this matter.  You are welcome to your opinion but you must acknowledge that there are those who disagree.
(05-01-2022, 01:28 PM)Alpha Wrote:

How is that not a doctorate? It is NOT a master's degree. A master's in law is a LLM = Master of Law.

JD is 80+ credits.

All you need to do is google the question and you will see that there is no real consensus on this matter.  You are welcome to your opinion but you must acknowledge that there are those who disagree.

Actually I looked at several law schools. The credits ranged from 83 up to 105. All call it a Juris Doctorate. All also offer the LLM in some form. I'll stick with the professionals over a rando on a forum.
Roger Enriquez, a JD professor of CJ himself, writes in "The Vanishing JD—How ACJS Certification Ensures Extinction of the Species" (Journal of Criminal Justice Education18(2) [July 2007]) :

"the much maligned Juris Doctor degree is all but extinct in many CJ departments. Moreover, new job postings are nearly universal in their condemnation of the JD only candidate. Language in job ads like 'JD is not a terminal degree' or 'JD alone is not suitable' is as ubiquitous as backpacks on campuses."
(05-01-2022, 01:47 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Roger Enriquez, a JD professor of CJ himself, writes in "The Vanishing JD—How ACJS Certification Ensures Extinction of the Species" (Journal of Criminal Justice Education18(2) [July 2007]) :

"the much maligned Juris Doctor degree is all but extinct in many CJ departments. Moreover, new job postings are nearly universal in their condemnation of the JD only candidate. Language in job ads like 'JD is not a terminal degree' or 'JD alone is not suitable' is as ubiquitous as backpacks on campuses."

I see, I hope I can find an affordable online PhD in CJ or a related field then. Thank you for the notice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes evanmonast's post:
  • Vle045
ChrisJ over on DegreeInfo did his PhD in CJ at Liberty University. He has also received a few Tenure Track professorship offers if I remember correctly. Liberty may be worth looking into.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
I'm a former criminal justice instructor.

Criminal justice is a social science that combines elements of sociology, economics, psychology, and law. Law is a humanities subject related to philosophy, and law degree programs teach you how to apply law in the real world.

When PhDs in criminology and criminal justice were hard to come by, schools would hire people with law degrees, but they mostly hired people with PhDs in sociology. Now that there are plenty of PhDs, the general consensus is that a JD should not be considered equivalent to a doctoral degree in criminal justice/criminology or a related social science.

Since community colleges hire people with master's degrees, a JD might be fine, but it's overkill. A master's degree in criminal justice would be faster, cheaper, and more relevant. Most of the courses in criminal programs don't delve deep into law. CJ and criminology are mostly about studying why people commit crimes and how to stop them from committing crimes.

The general consensus is that the JD is a long master's degree despite its name. The name was chosen to make the legal field appear more prestigious, but the JD is not much different from an MDiv, MSW, master's in clinical mental health counseling, master's in architecture, or any other long master's degree program. The federal government considers the JD a master's degree and the LLM the equivalent of a professional doctorate. The LLM has its name because the JD used to be an LLB. In other countries, law programs are just long baccalaureate programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 7 users Like sanantone's post:
  • carrythenothing, datby98, FastTrackDegree, indigoshuffle, Jonathan Whatley, louise, staceydiane
(05-01-2022, 01:39 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 01:28 PM)Alpha Wrote:

JD is 80+ credits.

Actually I looked at several law schools. The credits ranged from 83 up to 105. All call it a Juris Doctorate. All also offer the LLM in some form. I'll stick with the professionals over a rando on a forum.
Of course the law schools want it to be a doctoral degree.  It's completely self-serving.  They're hardly objective. 
The J.D. stands for Juris Doctor. However, this is not a doctorate. It is a professional degree that is equivalent to an LLB degree in other countries. Essentially this is the entry level degree to practice law, provided of course if you pass the Bar exam. An advanced degree in law would be the LLM (Masters) and finally the PhD. Most PhD’s teach law at the University level.  If you ask a PhD whether a JD is a doctoral degree they will say no.  I know that doesn't change the fact that lawyers will say it's a doctoral degree but, like I said, there is not universal agreement on this issue.  And by the way, you too are just a rando on the internet.  Don't be condescending.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alpha's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, Vle045
I feel we are splitting hairs in regards to the JD talk. This is no different than an MBBS being a degree earned for someone who is called a Doctor and becomes a surgeon, etc. So long as the degree you earn gets you to where you want to be professionally, who cares what others think?
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
ThatBankDude Wrote:I feel we are splitting hairs in regards to the JD talk. This is no different than an MBBS being a degree earned for someone who is called a Doctor and becomes a surgeon, etc. So long as the degree you earn gets you to where you want to be professionally, who cares what others think?

This ^^, many countries have MBBS straight from high school (Cuba for example). I mean it's the first professional degree prospective doctors will need to take to become licensed and certified in that country. I wouldn't really think much about it, some may call it a graduate degree, some will call it a professional degree and others an undergraduate degree, it won't really matter as long as it gets you to that goal of becoming a physician.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-01-2022, 11:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
ThatBankDude Wrote:I feel we are splitting hairs in regards to the JD talk. This is no different than an MBBS being a degree earned for someone who is called a Doctor and becomes a surgeon, etc. So long as the degree you earn gets you to where you want to be professionally, who cares what others think?

This ^^, many countries have MBBS straight from high school (Cuba for example).  I mean it's the first professional degree prospective doctors will need to take to become licensed and certified in that country.  I wouldn't really think much about it, some may call it a graduate degree, some will call it a professional degree and others an undergraduate degree, it won't really matter as long as it gets you to that goal of becoming a physician.

All of this hair-splitting is as fun as discussing the difference between NA v. RA, professional v. academic, and titular propio v. titular oficial. All of them offer legitimate paths, but may or may not be appropriate for your long-term goals.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 31 18,447 3 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 11 1,089 04-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Master degrees hicham78h 1 263 04-23-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 296 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 361 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 643 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 551 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 705 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 400 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 598 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone