Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online library access at the Big 3
Maybe a weird question, but do the Big 3 give students access to a good-quality online collegiate library, or do you need to depend on local libraries for research papers/capstone/etc? I know that "good quality" definitions will vary. For my purposes, I'm wondering if they are better than the community college libraries I'm currently using, especially in regards to availability of science and medical journals. But I'd be interested in hearing any and all experiences, since I've searched the forum and haven't found this particular question discussed.
That sure is a very valid question. However I think you'll need to contact them to get a list of journals and other resources.

TESU https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/l...-resources
COSC https://www.charteroak.edu/library/
EC https://www.excelsior.edu/support-resources/library/

No personal experience, maybe google scholar is useful for you.
I used the NJ State Library for my TESU courses and the research librarians were really helpful. If I didn’t find something I needed, I used and inter library loan and had it mostly within a day or two.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(02-01-2020, 04:09 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: That sure is a very valid question. However I think you'll need to contact them to get a list of journals and other resources.

TESU https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/l...-resources
COSC https://www.charteroak.edu/library/
EC https://www.excelsior.edu/support-resources/library/

No personal experience, maybe google scholar is useful for you.

Thanks for the links! I was thinking this was something an advisor couldn't help with, but it looks like COSC has a way to contact the librarian directly with this kind of question prior to enrolling. The others don't seem to, though.

I use Google Scholar a lot right now, but unfortunately so many of its results are behind a paywall. I am finding something similar with my CC as well, where an article will be listed in the library catalog, but if I try to click through via "Find Article," just as often as not I get a message that the library doesn't subscribe to that journal/service, so I can't read the article anyway.

Still, I usually get enough hits to write a paper (though digging them up can take longer), so these resources are nothing to sneeze at.

(02-01-2020, 06:14 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I used the NJ State Library for my TESU courses and the research librarians were really helpful. If I didn’t find something I needed, I used and inter library loan and had it mostly within a day or two.

Thanks, Suzy! Do you mean interlibrary loan at your local library or through TESU? Remind me, was your major psychology?
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(02-01-2020, 06:15 PM)wow Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 06:14 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I used the NJ State Library for my TESU courses and the research librarians were really helpful. If I didn’t find something I needed, I used and inter library loan and had it mostly within a day or two.

Thanks, Suzy! Do you mean interlibrary loan at your local library or through TESU? Remind me, was your major psychology?

Most of what I needed was paid for through TESU (databases like EBSCO and ProQuest) but if there was anything I needed that I couldn't get through them, I went to the NJ State Library. If any of their databases didn't have it, I did an interlibrary loan through NJ State Library and they would just email me the article.

I hope I'm answering what you are asking because I only really had to do a few papers here and there prior to the capstone. I did a BALS (LIB-495 was my capstone class). My capstone paper was The Impact of Childhood Obesity in the US.
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(02-01-2020, 06:45 PM)suzycupcake Wrote:

Most of what I needed was paid for through TESU (databases like EBSCO and ProQuest) but if there was anything I needed that I couldn't get through them, I went to the NJ State Library. If any of their databases didn't have it, I did an interlibrary loan through NJ State Library and they would just email me the article.

I hope I'm answering what you are asking because I only really had to do a few papers here and there prior to the capstone.  I did a BALS (LIB-495 was my capstone class). My capstone paper was The Impact of Childhood Obesity in the US.

How did you get access to NJ state library? Do you live in NJ? Or does being a TESU student entitle you to membership in that library?
(02-01-2020, 07:21 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 06:45 PM)suzycupcake Wrote:

I hope I'm answering what you are asking because I only really had to do a few papers here and there prior to the capstone.  I did a BALS (LIB-495 was my capstone class). My capstone paper was The Impact of Childhood Obesity in the US.

How did you get access to NJ state library? Do you live in NJ? Or does being a TESU student entitle you to membership in that library?

You get access as a TESU student. This is off topic but they also offer a very cool tutoring service through SmartThinking where I submitted my capstone to their Online Writing Lab and had feedback within a couple hours.
Started June 2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • alab21
(02-01-2020, 07:21 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: How did you get access to NJ state library? Do you live in NJ? Or does being a TESU student entitle you to membership in that library?

TESU students have access.
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/l...-resources
http://www.njstatelib.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 463 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 385 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,349 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 302 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,679 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 738 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,736 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,177 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045