Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online proctoring: Does anyone even pay attention?
(06-26-2021, 04:17 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: The AI thing makes sense.  What I'm guessing is that the live proctors in third-world countries are probalby not very diligent, but that the AI that looks at recorded sessions is probably prety good at detecting people looking away from their screens.

I'm just hoping that the process is reasonably robust.  There's so much rampant cheating (the recent articles about Chegg and CourseHero, for example) that it's really disheartening to consider that some folks "passing" classes may have little or no knowledge about the course they've supposedly passed.

One school gave each of its students all unique questions on an exam for a certain course.  Then when students posted those questions online, they easily found the cheaters based on those unique questions. 

AI can also be used to detect cheating on written assignments by comparing the student's original writing with a ghostwriter with about 90%+ accuracy.

I don't think a lot of schools are using AI to check written assignments yet.  They mainly use plagiarism checker services that scan the internet for duplicate text and assign a score % based on the results.

I'm sure you could create an AI program to write a paper using an individual's unique writing style.  Then you need yet another program invented to catch those cheaters. It's a game of cat and mouse.

In the end, the free market is pretty efficient and if you got the skills, the marketplace will reward you with a higher salary.  Getting the degree is just the checkbox needed to get through the HR firewall.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Why would you ever start a thread like this?
(06-26-2021, 04:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Passing an exam does not mean that you know the material, though. Traditionally, students cram before a test and then you retain almost none of that the next day. Conversely, some people are really bad at exams. They know the material but the stress of an exam means that they'd still fail.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to any of this, even though schools want to stick everyone into the same mold.

That's so true.  I'm pretty decent at exams, but they always make me nervous. I'd much rather write a paper.  But those can't be effectively scored (yet) by machines, which is, I'm sure, why multi-choice exams are so common.
At ProctorU, while taking Saylor´s College Algebra, I was given many warnings while trying to solve the exam, since they were saying that I was lowering my head and looking down (I was solving the exercises in the paper), the proctor insisted that I should keep my head up... and I told them that I couldn´t since I had to look at the paper, since I was writing the exercises.

She ended calling her supervisor, and the 2nd lady said that it was okay, and I think they changed the proctor.
Haha, yeah, ProctorU and their staff are a bit funny. I remember asking one of their staff at ProctorU where they were located, it was at the middle of the night. She answered by spelling Alabama wrong. It was pitch dark near me, but in her location, all the windows were bright... she told me the main office is in Alabama, I was asking where she was located! Sometimes there are minor communications errors... I didn't call her out on that but when another Proctor took over, he said they're in Asia, Philippines to be exact. And one other time some staff asked me for two picture ID's and my passport... LOL, I had to scramble to get them after telling him 1 was enough...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jch
(04-11-2022, 02:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Haha, yeah, ProctorU and their staff are a bit funny.  I remember asking one of their staff at ProctorU where they were located, it was at the middle of the night.  She answered by spelling Alabama wrong.  It was pitch dark near me, but in her location, all the windows were bright... she told me the main office is in Alabama, I was asking where she was located!  Sometimes there are minor communications errors... I didn't call her out on that but when another Proctor took over, he said they're in Asia, Philippines to be exact.  And one other time some staff asked me for two picture ID's and my passport... LOL, I had to scramble to get them after telling him 1 was enough...

Who has 2 photo ID's? Many people don't have a passport. Aside from a driver's license what else has a photo?
There are/were photographic bank/credit cards. But those have always been uncommon. Aside from that, I have no idea. I guess, technically, they want your school ID? A lot of school IDs have photographs, though obviously not all do!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Yeah, it was so weird... I had to ask him a few times and he rejected my claim for the open book exam too. I didn't need the open book, I took a while to get my ID and passport, but when he asked me for the second ID, I told him I didn't have any other... but alas, I found my Costco card and it has the ID picture (even though the quality wasn't great) it worked! The fart head also flagged my exam saying I had "technical issues", a quick call to StraighterLine resolved that...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I have taken dozens of them and have never been contacted about anything
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

In SDC's case, there *isn't* anyone watching you live at all - the check-in process is entirely automated, and they review the footage after the fact, which is why the final grade takes a few days-weeks to be posted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST can't insert school code when remote proctoring. Carnation 1 214 11-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP home proctoring issues Carnation 37 4,109 08-18-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  DSSTs now available online for EVERYONE rachel83az 27 4,160 04-08-2023, 04:03 PM
Last Post: jazzcat
  Have you used online proctoring for CLEP? sgloer 14 6,462 06-19-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: virino
  Online CLEP (proctoring) katsiki 9 2,000 06-17-2022, 05:59 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Heads up: home proctoring ambiguity studyingfortests 8 1,519 06-25-2021, 04:39 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  CLEP® Remote Proctoring Requirements rainbowsome 7 1,791 06-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Updated UExcel online exams list rachel83az 15 2,869 03-22-2021, 12:12 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Do mobile and online instantcert flashcards sync? will1030 0 1,023 09-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Last Post: will1030
  ACT online testing for ACE credits??? nomaduser 15 3,054 09-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Dorothy44