Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online school. Has it come into it's own?
I am unable to follow what is the ‘extra assurance’ of academic preparedness they get by making someone take courses in a B&M institution. Guess traditional institutions are declaring war against online degrees.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(02-05-2019, 10:55 PM)Supermind Wrote: I am unable to follow what is the ‘extra assurance’ of academic preparedness they get by making someone take courses in a B&M institution. Guess traditional institutions are declaring war against online degrees.

I don't know, but Texas will let you test out of a nursing degree at Excelsior, lol. I guess CPAs need hands-on calculator training.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • ChilliDawg, jsd, Sapientes
(02-05-2019, 10:33 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 10:19 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Acceptance still lags in some areas.

In Florida they were refusing to let WGU graduate sit for the CPA test or deciding on a case by case basis which credits would count for upper level. They only finally approved about 24 accounting credits from WGU so that you don't have to go to a board review to get permission to take the test. That didn't happen until 2017, even though WGU checked all the boxes, it still wasn't enough for the Florida CPA board.

This was the resolution
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/CPA...Signed.pdf
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/CPA...signed.pdf

So, yeah, there's still some resistance to an online education unfortunately.

I don't know why, but Texas requires 15 accounting credits taken butt-in-seat as if that will make any difference. I don't know if this is still the case, but the State Bar of Texas wouldn't accept online law degrees. There weren't any online ABA-accredited JD programs until very recently, but Texas also accepted foreign law degrees. I thought I found a loophole and could complete an online LLB from the UK, lol.

What are the online ABA-accredited online JD programs? I wasn't aware of any.

My understanding is that most states require a JD from a ABA-accredited school, so I don't think Texas is basing it on whether it is online but rather on accreditation.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-05-2019, 11:17 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

In Florida they were refusing to let WGU graduate sit for the CPA test or deciding on a case by case basis which credits would count for upper level. They only finally approved about 24 accounting credits from WGU so that you don't have to go to a board review to get permission to take the test. That didn't happen until 2017, even though WGU checked all the boxes, it still wasn't enough for the Florida CPA board.

This was the resolution

I don't know why, but Texas requires 15 accounting credits taken butt-in-seat as if that will make any difference. I don't know if this is still the case, but the State Bar of Texas wouldn't accept online law degrees. There weren't any online ABA-accredited JD programs until very recently, but Texas also accepted foreign law degrees. I thought I found a loophole and could complete an online LLB from the UK, lol.

My understanding is that most states require a JD from a ABA-accredited school, so I don't think Texas is basing it on whether it is online but rather on accreditation.

There are two new primarily online programs. One of them is at Syracuse. 

Foreign schools usually aren't ABA-accredited. The wording specifically said something about correspondence or distance education programs, which is why I couldn't do an online LLB from the UK plus an online LLM from the U.S. Online LLMs at ABA-accredited schools have been around for a while, and an American LLM is often required for people with foreign law degrees. I think the wording has been taken out because I no longer see it.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(02-05-2019, 11:34 PM)sanantone Wrote:

This was the resolution

Foreign schools usually aren't ABA-accredited. The wording specifically said something about correspondence or distance education programs, which is why I couldn't do an online LLB from the UK plus an online LLM from the U.S. Online LLMs at ABA-accredited schools have been around for a while, and an American LLM is often required for people with foreign law degrees. I think the wording has been taken out because I no longer see it.

Just did some Googling and found programs at Syracuse and Dayton. Very interesting, and something I'll have to consider for myself, as law has always been my ultimate goal.

Interesting, didn't occur to me that the online rule would block the online LLMs from being an option.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-05-2019, 11:37 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 11:34 PM)sanantone Wrote:

This was the resolution

Just did some Googling and found programs at Syracuse and Dayton. Very interesting, and something I'll have to consider for myself, as law has always been my ultimate goal.

Interesting, didn't occur to me that the online rule would block the online LLMs from being an option.

The Syracuse program is six figures.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I saw this and thought it would be relevant to this thread.

Quote:Using a dataset containing nearly 500,000 courses taken by over 40,000 community and technical college students in Washington State, this study examines the performance gap between online and face-to-face courses and how the size of that gap differs across student subgroups and academic subject areas. While all types of students in the study suffered decrements in performance in online courses, those with the strongest declines were males, younger students, Black students, and students with lower grade point averages. Online performance gaps were also wider in some academic subject areas than others. After controlling for individual and peer effects, the social sciences and the applied professions (e.g., business, law, and nursing) showed the strongest online performance gaps.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1...4.11777343
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Mitchell Hamline also has an online hybrid JD program.

Mitchell Hamline also has an online hybrid JD program.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.

This was the resolution

Sounds like progress to me.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-06-2019, 09:29 AM)sanantone Wrote: I saw this and thought it would be relevant to this thread.

Quote:Using a dataset containing nearly 500,000 courses taken by over 40,000 community and technical college students in Washington State, this study examines the performance gap between online and face-to-face courses and how the size of that gap differs across student subgroups and academic subject areas. While all types of students in the study suffered decrements in performance in online courses, those with the strongest declines were males, younger students, Black students, and students with lower grade point averages. Online performance gaps were also wider in some academic subject areas than others. After controlling for individual and peer effects, the social sciences and the applied professions (e.g., business, law, and nursing) showed the strongest online performance gaps.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1...4.11777343

So it sounded like overall, older students going back to school (like most on this forum) do fine with online, while younger students, especially struggling ones or ones with less self-motivation, do better with butt-in-seat.  Makes sense.  Having someone to be accountable to is important for some.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 408 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 571 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 257 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 384 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,716 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,346 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 302 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,677 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 738 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,736 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden