Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OnlineDegree.com Details?
(11-08-2018, 06:19 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 06:08 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 05:29 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 05:20 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 08:59 PM)katelynn Wrote: How do you enjoy OnlineDegree.com compared to Study.com and SL? 

Is it live proctoring or does it send your recorded session in for review later? 

I still need all of my Gen Ed electives - can I take any through OnlineDegree.com?

Which courses of theirs would you recommend I take for a TESU psych degree? 

As always, thanks so much. Smile

I have 2 sons doing classes, and they haven't gotten to the final yet, so I can't speak to that- but the classes are great!  In fact, my son who is taking Marketing says it's the best course he's taken so far.

I started Psych 101 late last night and it's great so far too! Kinda wish I could see my grade as I go along, like how SL and Sophia work.

I made myself a spreadsheet where I put all of my individual quiz grades and calculated my grade as I went along. I can't remember whether or not you can go back and view your quiz grades after you complete them, so if not it might be too late for you to do that for this particular course.

Good idea! I'm a little concerned about my grade now that I've bombed my first quiz. I thought I'd be able to take all my notes on the reading material instead of the videos, so I wasn't paying much attention to the main lecture. Had no idea they didn't cover the same material, and I suffered for it. Hopefully I can bring my grade up.

Don't worry, they throw out your 2 lowest quiz scores. Also, the test/quiz questions are most closely related to the main lecture videos.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • katelynn
(11-08-2018, 03:23 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 10:07 AM)ThirtySomething Wrote: What does the astronomy code come in as for TESU? I still need 1 credit for Natural World and I have Astronomy already from my previous university which registers as PHY-180. I’m wondering if I can take the astronomy through OD just to get that singular credit out of the way. Otherwise, would anyone recommend another course from OD that would fit that 1 credit under Natural World? Thanks!

Its generally a bad idea to try to focus on getting 1 credit, just go for a 3 credit course. There are a handful of 1cr courses out there but few will fit into natural sciences.

Also remember that CS courses will also fill the NatSci slot, so if you've taken any of those, they can be used in that slot too.

I'd suggest taking the TEEX courses since they're free, 2 cr each, and ACE recommended again (at least for a short time) but I don't think any of those will fit into NatSci/GenEd now. At least they didn't for me and I even specifically asked for CIS-244 to be placed there.

Hey Merlin, thanks for the response! I’m already enrolled in the CS class through OD. It’s been a slow and steady process; my expertise don’t lie in computers. Though, I have enjoyed it so far. But I plan to use the course for my CS requirement in my AOS. However, for that 1 credit course for NatSci/GenED, I’d like to complete it quickly. Preferably, in something I’m familiar with. Since you don’t think the TEEX courses will fit, what would you suggest for that 1 credit? Preferably free or cost effective.
ThirtySomething, don't worry about that one credit course. I think I mentioned this already in a previous thread, use the OD Astronomy course as it will come in different than a Physics or Physical science course that you currently have transferred in, even though it's the "same" course.

It'll come in as AST-101 vs your PHY-180 for a "similar" course in Astronomy. $9 for 3 credits, you can't beat that... unless it's free, or take another science from OD. If you want to go the Saylor route or CLEP route, you can do so as well... there are so many options, find your "course" and just go with it.

Update: Here are the providers I recommend for cheap/easy/fast credit at COSC/Excelsior/TESU.
Courses that are ACE recommended for credit: StraighterLine/Study.com/Saylor
Courses that are NCCRS recommended: Davar, Onlinedegree.com, and Study.com/Saylor
You can also go for Shmoop, but TESU stopped accepting those
There are FEMA, but only should be used for COSC

If you're strapped for cash, even if you aren't, I would recommend doing the FREE credits first on the guide, then work on the FREE Modernstates.org CLEPS, then work on the OD.com courses as each is $9/3 credits, Saylor is $25/3 credits, finally use SL/Study.com (is just a bit more with a monthly subscription) to finish off the degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-08-2018, 06:58 PM)ThirtySomething Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 03:23 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 10:07 AM)ThirtySomething Wrote: What does the astronomy code come in as for TESU? I still need 1 credit for Natural World and I have Astronomy already from my previous university which registers as PHY-180. I’m wondering if I can take the astronomy through OD just to get that singular credit out of the way. Otherwise, would anyone recommend another course from OD that would fit that 1 credit under Natural World? Thanks!

Its generally a bad idea to try to focus on getting 1 credit, just go for a 3 credit course. There are a handful of 1cr courses out there but few will fit into natural sciences.

Also remember that CS courses will also fill the NatSci slot, so if you've taken any of those, they can be used in that slot too.

I'd suggest taking the TEEX courses since they're free, 2 cr each, and ACE recommended again (at least for a short time) but I don't think any of those will fit into NatSci/GenEd now. At least they didn't for me and I even specifically asked for CIS-244 to be placed there.

Hey Merlin, thanks for the response! I’m already enrolled in the CS class through OD. It’s been a slow and steady process; my expertise don’t lie in computers. Though, I have enjoyed it so far. But I plan to use the course for my CS requirement in my AOS. However, for that 1 credit course for NatSci/GenED, I’d like to complete it quickly. Preferably, in something I’m familiar with. Since you don’t think the TEEX courses will fit, what would you suggest for that 1 credit? Preferably free or cost effective.

If you want to stick with the OnlineDegree material, the Astronomy course (as suggested by bjcheung) is a good option, as are the Biology and Environmental Science courses. Any of those should come in under NatSci. I'd suggest the Nutrition course as well, but I am concerned that course won't come in under Biology like other nutrition courses due to the body sculpting and exercise components.

If you want to look outside OD material, there are a ton of options available out there. Cheapest would be Saylor Academy since their courses are free and you just pay for proctoring (like OD, though their proctor is more expensive). Any of their hard science or computer science courses would work. You could also take CLEP exams through Modern States for free if you have access to a local CLEP testing center.

Either way, don't worry about being 1 credit low in any of the GenEd areas. TESU will usually waive the credit requirement as long as you have met the requirements of the area and are only a bit low. You'll just need to make up any credit deficiencies in the GenEd electives area.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
honestly, if you're starting from scratch, and you're going to TESU, there is no good reason not to max out these classes first. I realize that they aren't all in subjects that fill a lot of requirements, but they have a nice catalog with good variety, so even if they are free electives, you can't beat the cost.

Of course Modern State's CLEP and AP vouchers are amazing, and of course the rest of the freebies from Sophia / TEEX too.

I think a motivated person could probably fill 50% of their TESU bachelor's degree for under $100 (which is not to say100% of an Associate's degree) It's the "rest of the story" that takes work and planning.

RE: grades

I'm not a fan of having to work this hard to figure out a rubric, but here are the steps to do it.

Their site says: Attendance/Participation (10%), Quizzes (50%), and the Final Exam (40%)

Go into "my profile" and you'll see your "registered courses."

Click on the drop-down menu for the course you want to see your scores for.

Quiz % will show for everything you've done. You have to count how many quizzes to know what the "whole" is, and then from that number, subtract 2. (if you'll take 18 quizzes you'll keep grades for 16 highest scores)

Then however many quizzes you will have grades for, you'll give each one a value of 100 points. (a class with 18 quizzes = 16 graded quizzes = 1600 "points")

I realize this feels mathy, just bear with me. So, your number is now = 50% of the class. In this example, 1600 points = 50%, so I will use 3200 "points" as my whole (100%)

In this hypothetical class, if 3200 is my "whole", then 1600 points are my quizzes (50%), 320 points (10%) makes up my attendance, and 1280 points is the final (40%)

Now SAVE ALL OF THIS on paper somewhere- make a chart/graph. Start calculating everything.

Attendance will be 10% and you'll get those points because you have to watch all the videos (fill that in as 320 in this case)

Then start doing your quizzes- we used 100, so it's super easy to do: a quiz score of 57.14% is 57.14 "points" in this sample. A quiz score of 85.71% is 85.71 "points" and so on. write this down as you do each quiz so you can see your running "point" score.

Final exam (blank for now) but in this sample will be worth 1280 points.

You need a passing score of 70%, so our whole point value is 3200 x 70% = 2240 points to pass.

If this is all written down on a chart, you will be able to keep track as you go, and it should be simple adding to know how close you are to 2240 at any point in time.
(11-08-2018, 09:10 PM)cookderosa Wrote: honestly, if you're starting from scratch, and you're going to TESU, there is no good reason not to max out these classes first.  I realize that they aren't all in subjects that fill a lot of requirements, but they have a nice catalog with good variety, so even if they are free electives, you can't beat the cost.

Of course Modern State's CLEP and AP vouchers are amazing, and of course the rest of the freebies from Sophia / TEEX too.  

I think a motivated person could probably fill 50% of their TESU bachelor's degree for under $100 (which is not to say100% of an Associate's degree) It's the "rest of the story" that takes work and planning.

I totally agree. I'm a bit sad I can't take advantage of their fun free elective options since I have to fill mine up with business courses in order to graduate with an associate's in business also. Otherwise, I'd dive into the cooking and nutrition courses!
(11-08-2018, 09:19 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 09:10 PM)cookderosa Wrote: honestly, if you're starting from scratch, and you're going to TESU, there is no good reason not to max out these classes first.  I realize that they aren't all in subjects that fill a lot of requirements, but they have a nice catalog with good variety, so even if they are free electives, you can't beat the cost.

I totally agree. I'm a bit sad I can't take advantage of their fun free elective options since I have to fill mine up with business courses in order to graduate with an associate's in business also. Otherwise, I'd dive into the cooking and nutrition courses!

Seems like Nutrition would count in Gen Ed electives, if you have any spots there.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-08-2018, 09:38 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Seems like Nutrition would count in Gen Ed electives, if you have any spots there.

I'm not so sure about that. I am concerned that OD's Nutrition won't come in under Biology like other nutrition courses due to the body sculpting/exercise component. The latter aspects sound like Phys Ed, which usually falls under free electives at TESU.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

You still can take advantage of them! You don't "have" to only take classes you need. All my gen Ed and free electives are full but I still took a few extra courses that I had an interest in for the low price of $9/each.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I did about 6-7 lessons in the Nutrition class and 1-2 in the Cooking class. I eventually stopped because I just couldn't stand it anymore! I loved the main lectures - those seemed like high quality instruction. I hated the random YouTube videos they pulled. Those were completely unnecessary and generally not highly related to the main material. I had trouble knowing what to take notes on because each video covered so much territory. I also found that the things *I* thought were the most important concepts were not necessarily what they tested on most. They seemed overly fixated on stats and numbers over the actual concepts. They also asked questions about something the lecturer said was not important. Beyond that, I found it excessively annoying that I couldn't see the answers to the quizzes to know what I got right/wrong so I knew what to re-study.
On top of it all, it just took so long to get a lesson done. You can't just go in and do a little bit here and there as you have time. You have to have at least 45 minutes dedicated time to watch/listen to the main lecture and then extra for the random YouTube videos. It's so much nicer for me to know that I can still get things done in smaller chunks of time if I want to with the other sources like SDC, Sophia, etc... So I eventually decided that it was well worth it to me to pay $100 for a course at SDC than to suffer through the frustration of OD. That's just my personal experience!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,380 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,516 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 927 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 1,010 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 952 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,282 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  onlinedegree.com ?? TINASAM 4 990 03-03-2021, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  onlinedegree.com Cosmology carebear_007 2 800 02-18-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: carebear_007
  OnlineDegree.com transcript wow 16 3,005 11-23-2020, 11:36 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Is OnlineDegree.com only for US citizen/residents ayman003 2 885 09-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77