Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options?
(06-27-2019, 01:56 PM)allvia Wrote: Correct - you can pay take up to 5 exams in the month with Study.com college accelerator plan (2 included, then 3 more for $70 each).  The premium plan gives you access to everything but the exams. I found doing a month (or two) of the premium was a good way to get a head start at a lower cost, and then once you start taking the exams (at least 2 a month) you never really have value in dropping back down to the premium - after all you do want to take the exam(s) as close to the time you finish the course as possible while the information is still fresh in your mind.

Regarding Shmoop - it is not what I would call difficult more that it is extremely painful to get through (hardest 70 for a pass I ever received for US History I). I personally wouldn't recommend it for anyone even if it was free - its only benefit for awhile was they offer English courses that are just not available anywhere else through alternative means.

Very helpful! Thank you Allvia!
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
(06-27-2019, 10:31 AM)natshar Wrote: Here are dsst accommodations:

https://www.prometric.com/en-us/for-test...ations.pdf

CLEP which is basically what I just sent you but if you need the link:

https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-colle...g-the-test

Alternative credit stuff don't have accommodations because everything is at your own pace to begin with. The proctored final exams are usually to prevent cheating and I don't see a way around that. Based on my research I don't really think there is anything as extra accommodations you can or need to ask for study.com, StraighterLine, etc. You can replay the videos as many times as you want and most of the quizzes (non-final) are open book and untimed. Your daughter can even have someone else read her the material or use a screen reader. However, I will say Sophia has really good customer service and they can give you more time to complete the courses when you run out if you need that. But most of the courses through other providers don't have this issue and you can take as long as you want.

But that's why I suggested CLEP and DSST because I believe those are the only ones that offer true disability accommodations. However, if you can make study.com, shoomp, whatever, etc. work for you then that's great too.

I have gotten testing accommodations approved for CLEP and SDC. CLEP accommodations vary based on testing locations. I have not had any issue when the testing location was the CC I was attending. I have had issues at another testing location but think this was more because I wasn’t used to the bureaucracy of that school. It did get approved but it took more time and effort. SDC accommodations were straight forward. Some of the classes can be completed pretty quickly, faster than the accommodation process so I would encourage you to start the process when you first sign up. I tried to go through the process for Saylor but overall found it confusing and just went with SDC because overall everything seemed faster.
Working on TESU BSBA Operations Management. Graduating 2019
Courses (6cr): OPM 411, OPM 415
SDC (12cr): ENG 105, BUS 120, BUS 312, LIB 101
CLEP (12cr): Humanities, Natural Sciences
The Institutes (2cr): Ethics
(07-16-2019, 12:05 AM)hallk33 Wrote: I have gotten testing accommodations approved for CLEP and SDC. CLEP accommodations vary based on testing locations. I have not had any issue when the testing location was the CC I was attending. I have had issues at another testing location but think this was more because I wasn’t used to the bureaucracy of that school. It did get approved but it took more time and effort. SDC accommodations were straight forward. Some of the classes can be completed pretty quickly, faster than the accommodation process so I would encourage you to start the process when you first sign up. I tried to go through the process for Saylor but overall found it confusing and just went with SDC because overall everything seemed faster.

That's good advice Hallk33. We've been leaning toward SDC as well.
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
(06-23-2019, 01:18 PM)graduatesoon Wrote: Study.com has the premium program    for $60 so you can take your time watch the videos and take the quizzes and when you are ready take the final for an extra $70. If this helps your study style you can try it at your own pace without final pressure.

Does this $59.99/month with $70 final exam count toward transfer credit (ACE or direct transcript transfer) to the Big 3? I thought we had to pay the $199/month? That ended up causing me thousands of dollars because it did not fit in with the time my kids needed to learn the material and take the exam. 

Thank you in advance!

(06-26-2019, 03:10 PM)rvm Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 12:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, I also recommend doing the Sophia courses first - all 3 of them.  Work the Ethics course and then the CLEP options before the CLEP vouchers run out from ModernStates.org - I would also recommend doing the TEEX Cybersecurity courses if she can.
See link for the free/cheap options: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

Also, in regards to exclusively homeschooling your daughter, I would reconsider, is she having issues with the 9th grade level courses?  Most schools have programs for students, such as a career prep or trades program, she may be interested in those.  I would use homeschooling to supplement or accelerate/compact her educational goals.

The main thing is getting her past high school, the extra AA or BA during high school is the icing on the cake...It's great that you're discussing things with your hubby and coming to a conclusion that the local CC/Uni's and Big 3 may be options.

Thank you BJ!  What a wealth of knowledge you are along with the other regular group members!

Btw, I guess I was a little too harsh in describing my daughter's situation.  While she does have moderate to severe dyslexia, she can read, write, think and function in an academic setting.  She needs more time than most.  She also struggles quite a bit with math but that is because she lacks the foundation necessary to be successful in high school and college math courses.  She's agreed to be tutored to get up-to-speed.  It will definitely be a challenge to get her through her math and some science courses but I think she can get through the other courses without a huge challenge.  No doubt she will need more than the alloted time of one semester for some high school and some college courses.  That's where I hope non-trad credits will have more value than my husband will currently admit they have.

Robin, My daughter is the same way! All the best to your daughter and you.
Heart

(06-27-2019, 09:36 AM)rvm Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 01:08 PM)natshar Wrote: From the Clep website:

"Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
If you have a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking a CLEP exam under standard conditions, you may request accommodations at your preferred test center. Contact your preferred test center well in advance of the test date to make the necessary arrangements and to find out its deadline for submission of documentation for approval of accommodations. Accommodations that can be arranged directly with test centers include:
  • ZoomText (screen magnification)

• Modifiable screen colors

• Use of a reader, an amanuensis, or a sign language interpreter

• Extended time

• Untimed rest breaks
If the above accommodations do not meet your needs, contact CLEP Services for information about other nonstandard options at clep@info.collegeboard.org or at 800-257-9558 before you register through My Account."

That's perfect, Natshar!  That was one on my list of things to research.  You saved me some time and perhaps helped someone else with this question.  Kudos!

I tried this in Hawai'i and had a difficult time as the local testing facility (at a University) were unfamiliar with how to handle Accommodations. They ended up canceling on us. However, it is probably common here with those whose children do CLEP stateside.

I do know you have to coordinate directly with the testing site and ensure there are no issues that may arise the day prior or day of testing (like what happened to us!). 
Undecided

Alternative credit stuff don't have accommodations because everything is at your own pace to begin with. The proctored final exams are usually to prevent cheating and I don't see a way around that. Based on my research I don't really think there is anything as extra accommodations you can or need to ask for study.com, StraighterLine, etc. You can replay the videos as many times as you want and most of the quizzes (non-final) are open book and untimed. Your daughter can even have someone else read her the material or use a screen reader. However, I will say Sophia has really good customer service and they can give you more time to complete the courses when you run out if you need that. But most of the courses through other providers don't have this issue and you can take as long as you want.

But that's why I suggested CLEP and DSST because I believe those are the only ones that offer true disability accommodations. However, if you can make study.com, shoomp, whatever, etc. work for you then that's great too.

My daughter has a learning disability (and she takes forever, but she's meticulous) and she did really well with Straighterline. We just tried SDC and she finished her English Composition with 15 minutes left. Normally she uses her Accommodation for testing when she was in High School 9th grade. I was stressing that she wouldn't be able to do the timeframe since she's not a good judge of time...but she surprised me. Further, my son has high functioning autism and he also did well in both formats. They had to study hard and master the subject before they felt ready for the exam.

(07-16-2019, 12:05 AM)hallk33 Wrote:

I have gotten testing accommodations approved for CLEP and SDC. CLEP accommodations vary based on testing locations. I have not had any issue when the testing location was the CC I was attending. I have had issues at another testing location but think this was more because I wasn’t used to the bureaucracy of that school. It did get approved but it took more time and effort. SDC accommodations were straight forward. Some of the classes can be completed pretty quickly, faster than the accommodation process so I would encourage you to start the process when you first sign up. I tried to go through the process for Saylor but overall found it confusing and just went with SDC because overall everything seemed faster.

I did not know SDC had accommodations. Do you mind sharing what they do? Thank you in advance. 

(06-23-2019, 01:18 PM)graduatesoon Wrote: Study.com has the premium program    for $60 so you can take your time watch the videos and take the quizzes and when you are ready take the final for an extra $70. If this helps your study style you can try it at your own pace without final pressure.

@graduatesoon please disregard my previous question about the SDC $199 vice the premium plan...I should have read further down before asking...I found my answer lol.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
(06-21-2019, 12:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: North Carolina eh?  You're in the same back yard as Jennifer, our resident chef!  Here's her page for North Carolina, Dual Enrollment, and the NC Promise program. Using this as a guide, you can probably get a very affordable Associates and Bachelors. https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...nrollment/

Further to this, I highly recommend your daughter to start with getting CLEP/ACE/NCCRS credits - the FREE ones first to get her into the "online learning" door.  And then work on the courses from different providers.  Sophia/SL/Study.com are my fave recommendations.

Hi! Can you point me to the free credits at CLEP/ACE/NCCRS? Thank you!
(10-13-2019, 03:49 PM)ACI Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 12:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: North Carolina eh?  You're in the same back yard as Jennifer, our resident chef!  Here's her page for North Carolina, Dual Enrollment, and the NC Promise program. Using this as a guide, you can probably get a very affordable Associates and Bachelors. https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...nrollment/

Further to this, I highly recommend your daughter to start with getting CLEP/ACE/NCCRS credits - the FREE ones first to get her into the "online learning" door.  And then work on the courses from different providers.  Sophia/SL/Study.com are my fave recommendations.

Sure thing, just head over to the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
(10-13-2019, 03:49 PM)ACI Wrote:

The Forum Wiki link for the Free Credits: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,376 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  What are the quickest social science options for the BOG? Midnightsky7 13 1,429 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Statistics - options now (quick and easy) allvia 5 1,128 04-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,514 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 925 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 1,009 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 952 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  Sophia Difficulty - Alternative Credit Options splirow 17 3,353 09-19-2021, 10:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,281 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  TESU sociology options? Fibrazer 2 660 03-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Fibrazer