Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options? Degree in Business
I’ve been trying to take advantage of my extra down time due to current events by kicking myself into overdrive and taking as many courses as I can to help get me closer to finishing up and getting my Bachelors. My job offers tuition reimbursement up to $5k per year as long as your study is an area of interest for the company and you maintain a grade of a B or better. I’m interested in getting my degree in Business with Business Administration and Organizational Leadership/Management being my top choices. I’ve flopped around with schools considering both WGU and most recently Ashford as my top choices. Ashford has a special grant with my company and I wouldn’t need to pay anything out of pocket upfront which was appealing. Now that all these free Sophia courses are available I’m starting to change my mind a bit since I’m only able to transfer in 75 non traditional credits at Ashford and I’m not sure I want to go through 5 week courses since I have time right now to invest. Could someone give me an idea of which out of the big 3 would be the best choice for transferring the most credits based on what credits I already have completed? I’m leaning towards a BSBA in General Management from TESU but I’m not sure if something else would work better. I’d like to get as close to finishing up before I go back to my normal schedule. If anyone has a degree path I could use or give me some guidance on what would make one school more feasible than another? 

Here’s what I have. I know some of these might overlap.

Credit Provider Course
2 Sophia Foundations of Statistics
1 Sophia The Essentials of Managing Conflict
1 Sophia Developing Effective Teams
1 Sophia Student Success
3 Straighterline Intro to Religion
3 Sophia Ancient Greek Philosiphers
3 Sophia intro to information tech
3 Sophia Project Management
3 Sophia Visual Commuications
3 Sophia Intro to Ethics
3 Sophia Intro to Sociology
3 Sophia Art History I
3 Sophia Art History II
3 Sophia Conflict Resolution
3 Sophia Intro to Psychology (in progress)
3 Sophia Human Biology (in progress)
3 Sophia Environmental Science (in progress)
3 Sophia US History I
3 Sophia US History II (in progress)
3 Sophia Microeconomics (in progress)
3 Sophia Macroeconomics (in progress)
3 Sophia Accounting
3 Sophia Intro to Business
2 Sophia Foundations of English Composition (in progress)
3 Sophia English Composition I (in progress)
3 Sophia English Composition II (in progress)
3 Sophia Public Speaking (in progress)
3 Sophia Intro to Statistics
3 Straighterline Western Civilization I
3 Sophia College Readiness
3 Aleks College Algebra
3 Straighterline Cultural Anthropology
3 CSM Learn CSM Learn
3 Straighterline Organizational Behavior

Completed: 64  In Progress: 30  Total: 94 credits
Well if get tution remburusment wgu might be good. it is free to apply so why not apply to wgu for free and see how everything transfers doesn't hurt.

Tesu could be good but usually people only take two courses and there is a 2800 wavier fee that tution reimbursement usually doesn't cover. So it might not be as beneficial in your circumstances. Idk though.
(04-16-2020, 04:59 AM)oroseeo Wrote: I’ve been trying to take advantage of my extra down time due to current events by kicking myself into overdrive and taking as many courses as I can to help get me closer to finishing up and getting my Bachelors. My job offers tuition reimbursement up to $5k per year as long as your study is an area of interest for the company and you maintain a grade of a B or better. I’m interested in getting my degree in Business with Business Administration and Organizational Leadership/Management being my top choices. I’ve flopped around with schools considering both WGU and most recently Ashford as my top choices. Ashford has a special grant with my company and I wouldn’t need to pay anything out of pocket upfront which was appealing. Now that all these free Sophia courses are available I’m starting to change my mind a bit since I’m only able to transfer in 75 non traditional credits at Ashford and I’m not sure I want to go through 5 week courses since I have time right now to invest. Could someone give me an idea of which out of the big 3 would be the best choice for transferring the most credits based on what credits I already have completed? I’m leaning towards a BSBA in General Management from TESU but I’m not sure if something else would work better. I’d like to get as close to finishing up before I go back to my normal schedule. If anyone has a degree path I could use or give me some guidance on what would make one school more feasible than another? 

Completed: 64  In Progress: 30  Total: 94 credits

Can I make a suggestion, get the easiest bachelors degree possible, something like a BALS and proceed to a MBA from WGU or another one of the competency schools.

WHY. I have written about this before, the TESU BSBA capstone (just the capstone) requires 3/4 of the writing compared to the ENTIRE MBA program at WGU. Let me repeat, one course at TESU equals 3/4 of the writing required for the WGU MBA program.
oroseeo, how much tuition assistance do you get for Ashford if you can only transfer in 75 or 90 credits into their program? Do you get tuition assistance if you go the TESU or WGU route? I would take all the Sophia.org courses you can just in case you want to head into TESU/WGU instead of Ashford. What is your budget and when are you looking to finishing the degree?

HogwartsSchool has a valid argument, many times I tell people to do the "one and done - Bachelors & Masters" program at WGU if they are in Business/IT or Education/Nursing fields and they're not going past a Masters or further their education in anything else. Just do all you can with Sophia.org in regards to transferability then you need to decide if you want to graduate from a State University with online degree offerings or Exclusively online university with degrees in those fields.

However, having said that, I also recommend people to have a good rounded "undergrad" education. The Big 3 was never one of my choices even though I recommended them 20+ years ago, back then they allowed you to transfer in everything as there were no Cornerstone/Capstones. Even though they are RA, I thought of them as similar to NA or lesser quality as you're just paying for credit transfer and other fees (doesn't that look degree mill'ish?). I recommended people have a rounded education by taking the bulk of their courses (especially the last 30-60 credits) at a local college/university and for the first two years, community college or using the alternative testing methods.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-16-2020, 01:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: However, having said that, I also recommend people to have a good rounded "undergrad" education.  The Big 3 was never one of my choices even though I recommended them 20+ years ago, back then they allowed you to transfer in everything as there were no Cornerstone/Capstones.  Even though they are RA, I thought of them as similar to NA or lesser quality as you're just paying for credit transfer and other fees (doesn't that look degree mill'ish?).  I recommended people have a rounded education by taking the bulk of their courses (especially the last 30-60 credits) at a local college/university and for the first two years, community college or using the alternative testing methods.

Ok, bjcheung77, I like you, but this is quite possibly the worst advice I've heard on this forum.

The Big 3 are just fine, and the degrees work - ESPECIALLY for those who have work experience and just need a degree for work purposes.  I was a person who had a bunch of credit from a bunch of schools, but didn't have an inexpensive place to finally get my degree.  TESU was the best fit (and the best price) at the time, so I was able to get a degree for many, many thousands of dollars less than it would have cost at my local 4yr school.

Now, for someone who is 18 and just entering the workforce, then a local school may offer many options that an online school doesn't.  But for the rest of us - there's no question that the Big 3 (and a few other schools) may be the ONLY way we will ever get a degree.

And the whole "well-rounded" bit is ridiculous.  I'm 49, I don't need my education be well-rounded at this point, I just need a piece of paper.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
LOL, it's not my advice now. I had a nostalgic moment earlier in regards to the Big 3... I think of them differently now than I did back then... that's why I attended and still do attend one of them.

Back then, I kept recommending Excelsior as they had an awesome deal for $1500 to get everything evaluated and transferred in until they became more expensive, that's how they got their big break and set them apart from COSC/TESU.

And I recall then, COSC only had about 2000 graduates, TESC had 10-12,000 and Excelsior blew up to 25,000 or more. With all the advertising and marketing over the years, they've blown up to 177,000 graduates compared to TESU's 65-68000. COSC's still at 16-17000.

Anyways, back to reality, my recommendation again is to decide if you want to attend Ashford, TESU or WGU. See who gives you the most credits, also check your tuition reimbursement, whoever gives you the cheap/easy/fast option to finish the degree is the one to go for... So, apply to all three and have your 75-90+ credits reviewed for transfer. Good luck and happy studies!

My reimbursement covers all the big 3s. It also covers WGU but I would only be able to take 1 term a year since it would put me above $5k if I were to take two, although at this time of the year it would be fine since I’d start 1 term and then start a second term next year. I’d just need to pay for my term upfront and I’d get reimbursed as I finish classes. It would be a little difficult as far as reimbursement goes just because of the set up. For Ashford the grant they offer covers anything that goes over my $5k limit so essentially I’d pay nothing and wouldn’t need to pay anything upfront. I looked at the BALS but unfortunately my reimbursement wouldn’t cover that specific degree.

I’ve been with my company going on 15 years now. I essentially would like to check a box as the current position I hold and anything lower actually requires a degree. Eventually I would like to go for my MBA but I’m not sure how quickly I can jump into that. Just taking it one step at a time. I’m open to Excelsior or COSC as well but as far as any waivers I’d probably opt out since I need a grade attached to a class for reimbursement.
I would vouch for TESU or WGU over Ashford and Excelsior or COSC. In fact, for cheap/easy/fast, you can get 90 credits from Sophia.org/SL/Study.com and then take 1 term at WGU to finish your Business degree (with your experience, competency-based degree programs would be better than the test-out options.

You can then take the MBA also at WGU next year. If you didn't have that much experience, then TESU would be my recommendation for Undergrad and WGU for Graduate studies. You're a perfect example for those "one & done schools".

My recommendation in regards to Programmatic/Secondary accreditation, TESU/WGU trumps Ashford/Excelsior and COSC.
For example: TESU/WGU - ACBSP > Ashford/Excelsior - IACBE > COSC - Just RA > U of People - Just NA

So, do all you can do with Sophia.org, then look up the SL/Study.com transfer guides to see what courses can be transferred into WGU. Skip Ashford/Excelsior, COSC, and I am sad to say, Skip TESU as well...<cries>... Click the SL/Study.com Links and the Business program of choice: https://partners.wgu.edu/

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • oroseeo
(04-16-2020, 04:50 PM)oroseeo Wrote: My reimbursement covers all the big 3s. It also covers WGU but I would only be able to take 1 term a year since it would put me above $5k if I were to take two, although at this time of the year it would be fine since I’d start 1 term and then start a second term next year. I’d just need to pay for my term upfront and I’d get reimbursed as I finish classes. It would be a little difficult as far as reimbursement goes just because of the set up. For Ashford the grant they offer covers anything that goes over my $5k limit so essentially I’d pay nothing and wouldn’t need to pay anything upfront. I looked at the BALS but unfortunately my reimbursement wouldn’t cover that specific degree.

I’ve been with my company going on 15 years now. I essentially would like to check a box as the current position I hold and anything lower actually requires a degree. Eventually I would like to go for my MBA but I’m not sure how quickly I can jump into that. Just taking it one step at a time. I’m open to Excelsior or COSC as well but as far as any waivers I’d probably opt out since I need a grade attached to a class for reimbursement.

Ashford might not be a bad option. 
That being said, you can transfer 90 credits total for a degree. So maybe out those 90, only 75 can be alt credit. Consider doing some Arizona State earned admissions to reach the 90 credit mark. ASU courses are only $100 each and appear on the regionally accredited transcript.

They once you have reached the 90 you only have to do the remaining 30 credits at Ashford for free.

However note this policy on the ashford website:

Within the 75 credit nontraditional maximum, a maximum of nine (9) nontraditional credits may be applied toward the major requirements (including additional majors). Nontraditional credits may also apply up to a maximum of 50% of the requirements for a minor or specialization or 100% of the requirements for a transfer concentration. The content of nontraditional credits must be comparable to the content of the replaced course.
For TESU, it looks like you're at 78cr with the BSBA, and you could get it in Gen Mgmt or HR. COSC or EC would prob be similar, although they're not ACBSP so that may or may not make a difference for you. They are similar, with a similar amount of Free Electives; although COSC is definitely the cheapest (which may not matter for your purposes).
-------------------------------------------
Another option: GGU. They have a new program they worked out with Study.com, and the portion you pay there is 10 3cr courses x $300/cr = $9000. But they have some good options, and allow a LOT of free electives (51cr in most degrees - the GE is only 39cr). https://study.com/college/school/golden-...spire.html

They take ACE credit. They're RA.

They not only have a BS in Business with 9 different concentrations, but a BA in Management with 5 concentrations, and a BA in Organizational Leadership. I think the BAM or BAOL would be the easiest to finish, and you're at 87cr - so 2 more courses with Study.com, and then you could start taking their courses, and spread it out over this year and next, and be done fairly quickly. I went there ages ago and really liked my courses there. The nice thing is that they are 8-week courses instead of 12-week ones like TESU. They just have so many more options, and the BAM is so much less math-y than the BSB, which is a good option for many who want/need a degree that is business-y, but doesn't have to be a BSBA.
-----------------
There are probably more options out there, but these 4 schools may be the easiest for you to complete, at least in terms of number of courses because they take so many GE's unlike WGU. But that's a good option too.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43, Muldoon, oroseeo, TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,457 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 242 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,702 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia