Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options?! Please HELP!!!
I was concerned about the changes in TESC as well, I spoke with someone from TESC about the changes and she notified me that once i get my Evaluation, i will be "grandfathered" in, because my eval gets linked to my account and what not. Once you enroll the Evaluation for your degree is based on the current academic catalog year and its requirements. The way i see it.. I applied in March, and my initial eval should be done by end of April or beginning of May, If i Enrolled in say september, (6 months from my application) i should have the same eval and requirements.

I would definitely call to make sure, I am going to enroll prior to July anyways just to be safe. But i thought i would throw you some info from what i was told.

To graduate this year from TESC you would need to complete everything by July1st, You could still graduate in December of 2013 by finishing everything by October, but it would be considered part of 2014 graduation ceremony thing.
BSBA General Management @ TESC 03/2014
AAS Environmental Safety & Security Technologies @ TESC 03/2014
AS Public Fire Service Option @ CC 12/2012

CLEP
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
College Algebra
US History I
Natural Sciences
Principles of Marketing
Principles of Management
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
College Composition

DSST
Principles of Supervision
Organizational Behavior
Human Resource Management
Business Ethics and Society
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Computing
Management Information Systems
Principles of Financial Accounting
Money and Banking
Principles of Finance
Business Law II

FEMA
21 Completed

TECEP
Strategic Management
Advertising
Sales Management

SL
Business Communications
Business Law
Accounting II

Aleks
Intro to Stats (24 hours!)

In Progress
M.B.A Management Cal Coast University
seanmathews Wrote:I was concerned about the changes in TESC as well, I spoke with someone from TESC about the changes and she notified me that once i get my Evaluation, i will be "grandfathered" in, because my eval gets linked to my account and what not. Once you enroll the Evaluation for your degree is based on the current academic catalog year and its requirements. The way i see it.. I applied in March, and my initial eval should be done by end of April or beginning of May, If i Enrolled in say september, (6 months from my application) i should have the same eval and requirements.

I would definitely call to make sure, I am going to enroll prior to July anyways just to be safe. But i thought i would throw you some info from what i was told.

To graduate this year from TESC you would need to complete everything by July1st, You could still graduate in December of 2013 by finishing everything by October, but it would be considered part of 2014 graduation ceremony thing.

I would not take what you were told as gospel - anything even slightly controversial like this needs to be in writing from them. I had my evaluation done in spring last year and I enrolled at the end of June before the capstone became effective on 7/1. Because they did not process my enrollment until after 7/1 they added the capstone to my evaluation. It took a few phone calls and e-mails to get that rectified. IMHO I believe that as of 7/1 the new requirements will take effect and you will not be grandfathered in for merely applying. I think you are doing the correct thing by enrolling before 7/1.

Westerner, seanmathews makes a great point in that TESC and COSC only holds conferrals every three months whereas Excelsior has conferrals monthly, so that may play a part in your decision since you said you want to graduate in 2013.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
For comparison, EC has monthly degree conferrals, and all transcripts need to be received by them by a specific date, which is about 2 months in advance of the conferral. They also have a yearly graduation ceremony in July in Albany, NY.

Also, the enrollment fee lasts one year or until you graduate, whichever comes first. If you need to extend your enrollment beyond the first year, you would then pay the Student Service Annual Fee, which is only about half the price of the enrollment fee (multi-source). The fee chart is confusing on this issue and makes it look more expensive than it really is.

Excelsior College fees and tuition - excelsior.edu
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Okay, let me catch up on your questions-

EC has 2 GPAs. One is for their courses/exams. A second GPA is an overall GPA for EC and all transfer grades from courses and exams. Some DSST exams still earn grades (2-digit scores).

UExcel English is a 3 credit test. You'll need English II; consider SL for that. There is a 6 credit ECE exam for English.

Info Lit is a short (few days online), expensive course at EC or a longer (several trips to library), less expensive course at LSU.

It looks like a diploma at EC would include the major: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post92771

As you can see, each school, among the Big 3, has their own set of pros and cons depending on the student's needs.
This post makes me very excited. This is actually sounding doable! Thanks Nap!

Getiton1, seanmatthews and AlbaTiVo, I'll definitely talk to Excelsior too!

Ok, so I have another question: based on my credits earned, would a BA or a BS in History be better? See this page: Bachelors Degrees | Liberal Arts

And...this depth requirements thing is kind of confusing...do I have to have 2 for a major in History? Can it be done with just one area of study (in History)?
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
You're welcome!

Yes, you need two depths in 2 different subjects, or one major and one depth, or one area of focus and one depth, or 2 majors, or 2 areas of focus. I think that is all of the possible combinations.

I would guess that a BA in History is the typical degree type. At EC, it just means a difference in the number of Applied Professional (free elective) credits used. In your case, this would be the difference in whether you use any Applied Professional to meet the 30 UL credits or choose an Applied Professional topic as your second depth. If you stick with Arts & Sciences for UL and depth, then you will earn the BA.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

So "Applied Professional" at EC just means "electives"?
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:So "Applied Professional" at EC just means "electives"?

Yes, Applied Professional is anything that doesn't fall into the 5 general education categories, which EC calls Arts & Sciences. Usually the section will say "applied professional OR arts & sciences", so that means you can choose anything for it like another school would call free electives.

Just pay attention to meeting the MINimum for Arts & Sciences for the degree and not going over the MAXimum for Applied Professional. If you don't want to pick anything in Applied Professional, you can always choose more Arts & Sciences.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Thanks Nap for your reply!

Alrighty, I'm still researching EC as an alternative to TESC. So any input you have is much appreciated and thank you for bearing with me through this Smile

I'm trying to figure out what I'd have left to do if I switch to EC. My main goal is to graduate by the end of this year. I got this info off EC's site here: Bachelors Degrees | Liberal Arts

1. Foundational, minimum 4 courses, divided between 2 areas:

A. Survey courses in U.S. History: minimum two courses, such as:
United States History I -done through CLEP
United States History II -done through CLEP

B. Survey Courses in World History, such as:
World History I -done through WC 1 CLEP
World History II -done through WC 2 CLEP

2. U.S. History
Minimum 2 courses, intermediate and upper level courses, such as:
U.S. Military History
Colonial America
Revolutionary America
African American History
A History of Women in America
U.S. Immigrant and Ethnic History
U.S. Foreign Affairs since 1898
United States Civil War
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Civil War DSST —going to do
Vietnam War DSST —going to do[/COLOR]

3. European History
Minimum 2 courses, intermediate and upper-level courses, such as:
Contemporary European History and Politics
Holocaust
[COLOR="#FF0000"]i could take Western Europe Since 1945 DSST for this
Any suggestions for another test?[/COLOR]

4. Non-Western History
Minimum 1 course, intermediate and upper-level courses, such as:
Contemporary Middle East History
Contemporary Chinese History and Politics
U.S. - Vietnam War
done through Modern Middle East DSST

5. Electives, additional courses from areas 2, 3, 4 above.
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Soviet Union DSST done
World Conflicts ECE planned
... how much more do I need?[/COLOR]

6. Capstone course: LA 498HIS History Capstone -will take at EC
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
You're welcome! I'm happy to help.

Let me do some work on this.

In the meantime, be sure to download the Liberal Arts catalog which has more details on page 23 for meeting the requirements for the major. I believe it says the second world history can not be western civilization. It also says the opposite about a Vietnam War course of what I was told about the Vietnam War DSST; you'll need to recheck the US vs Non-US history for that exam with EC.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone on this forum who has attempted this major since the requirements were updated 1-2 years ago. We'll try to rough it out together, anyway, so you can compare degree plans.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Let's start by looking to use all of the main exams in the major; this is my best guess for where each would qualify. The biggest issue is the Vietnam War DSST. This "plan" would be 24 LL and only 12 UL, so you'd need to eliminate 1 LL exam and substitute 2 LL exams with 2 UL courses.

History Major at EC - 15 LL and 18 UL required

I. Foundational – 4 courses
A1. US History I CLEP – 3 LL
A2. US History II CLEP – 3 LL
B1. Western Civilization CLEP – 3 LL
B2. World History course – 3 LL – offered at EC, also check Ohio U exams, LSU, BYU, Arkansas
[Vietnam War DSST - 3LL - If it is "non-western," could it count here?]

II. US History – 2 courses
Civil War DSST – 3 UL
[Vietnam War DSST – 3 LL - Does it count here?]

III. European History – 2 courses
Soviet Union DSST – 3 UL
Western Europe DSST – 3 LL

IV. Non-Western History – 1 course
Middle East DSST – 3 LL
[Vietnam War DSST - 3 LL - Does it count here?]

V. Electives
World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE – 3 UL
Western Civilization CLEP - 3 LL

VI. Capstone course at EC – 3 UL

Remember this plan does not meet the UL requirements.

A couple of conversations for links and ideas (I hope they aren't too confusing):

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post108324

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...lsior.html

Don't forget an Area of Focus (like a minor) is 15 LL and 6 UL credits in History.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,619 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,894 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Options for TESU BSBA Gen.Mgt Finance & Business/Society Excellente 5 1,888 06-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Print Options TRUTEX79 2 1,173 04-13-2018, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Johmford
  I'm solidly set on TESU BSBA CIS, Any help figuring out options for a double major? camjenks 5 1,483 03-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Last Post: camjenks
  UL options for Management Information Systems at TESU allvia 4 2,100 02-01-2018, 06:43 PM
  TESU Finance AOS options StoicJ 37 6,910 01-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Rf10
  TESU enrollment options for December 2017 CarpeDiem8 2 1,169 12-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  All Upper Level (UL) Options for TESU BALS CollegeKid 18 4,950 10-29-2017, 12:18 AM