Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDC: Computer Science 107 vs Analytics 103?
So... WGU accepts both SDC's Computer Science 107 (Database Fundamentals) and Analytics 103 (Intro to Relational Databases & SQL) in lieu of their own "Data Management--Foundations" course.

I realize that it may be a long shot that someone's taken both of these courses, but just in case someone here has, I'd love to get your thoughts on each of them, especially for someone who has a very limited (as of now) understanding of data management.
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
If you don't currently have much of an understanding of databases, I would recommend Sophia's Introduction to Relational Databases instead of SDC for this requirement. The Sophia course may take longer and be more challenging, but it gives you a solid footing for future DB courses you need to take at WGU. I'm not sure if I can say the same about SDC's courses. I haven't taken those particular SDC courses, but I know their UL DB management course was entirely too easy.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Intro to Relational Databases has two assignments (each of which requires a 500 to 750-word report) and Database Fundamentals has one assignment (that looks similar to the first assignment in Intro to Relational Databases).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(06-12-2022, 03:25 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you don't currently have much of an understanding of databases, I would recommend Sophia's Introduction to Relational Databases instead of SDC for this requirement. The Sophia course may take longer and be more challenging, but it gives you a solid footing for future DB courses you need to take at WGU. I'm not sure if I can say the same about SDC's courses. I haven't taken those particular SDC courses, but I know their UL DB management course was entirely too easy.

Okay it's funny bc it was actually from previous posts of yours that I kinda said "nah" to the Sophia course, Rachel. Big Grin

The only other data course required for my degree is another that I was looking at an SDC class for (Computer Science 204--Database Programming)... which might be the very UL course you're speaking of. (ACE lists it as LL but the course it replaces at WGU is UL.)
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
If you can replace all DB courses with SDC versions, that's good. I just saw that some WGU degrees require at least 3 DB courses and I didn't check to see if SDC has courses to cover them. The Sophia course is a lot of work, yes, but it can save you grief down the road if you need more DB courses!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • raekwon
My recommendation is to take the courses through Study.com instead of Sophia.org, as there may be some overlapping of content in the Study.com courses, you'll be able to complete all the requirements of one, and probably a portion of the other course. If you have the extra energy/time and want to spend a bit on the Sophia.org membership, you can take that course later for review!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • raekwon
I satisfied both of the DB courses for my degree at WGU with the ones at SDC. There's a lot of overlap so it really just felt like 1 slightly longer course rather than 2 separate courses. People in the WGU BSCS program have taken all 3 DB courses from WGU and had similar feedback.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • raekwon
Study.com has placement tests for some of their courses
https://study.com/academy/about/placement-tests.html

I would bet if you took the placement test for 303 Database Management, it would complete lots of quizzes for the lower-level database courses.

Computer Concepts is a good one to test if you are taking a bunch of computer courses at SDC. 

You can take placement tests for classes you never plan to enroll in as long as there is enough overlap to make it worth your time.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • raekwon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 539 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 647 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Computer Architecture Questions ACI 4 863 03-18-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Sophia is adding Science Labs ashkir 25 3,342 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,521 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  LL Political Science Courses Jennr2z 2 757 06-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  What are the quickest social science options for the BOG? Midnightsky7 13 1,391 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone recently take CS402: Computer Communications and Networks yellow_gambit 7 1,908 04-15-2022, 11:20 PM
Last Post: pajakuta
  URGENT! SDC computer architecture project : part 4 Bobbym 23 3,061 12-27-2021, 09:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Question about COS 306 Computer Architecture Study.com Final assignment exxxius 17 2,925 12-19-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s