Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside course/exam for TESU Comm 100 Communication Theory?
Hi everyone,

Thank you for an extremely informative forum. I'm 56 and it took me from feeling defeated about finishing a 1986 Communications Degree through SDSU (36 credits required) to very hopeful and excited about finishing at TESU...15 credits required - only 5 classes!! Big Grin  Incidentally, Excelsior came back saying I need 23 credits for a BALS, and TESU says 15 credits for a BA Communications. I'm told by hiring managers that they feel the Communications Degree is stronger anyway, so TESU it is!

I just received pre-approval for 2 of the outside courses but still need Comm 100 Communications Theory - a requirement for the degree. I submitted a few Study.com, StraighterLine and Saylor course numbers as potential options, but they were denied. Anyone know what outside course I can take to satisfy that Comm Theory requirement? 

Here is what my TESU advisor sent me:

">>Your remaining requirements are:

*Quantitative Literacy course  >> CSM Course Pre-approved
*Ethics course >> Study.com Philosophy 102 or 103, or Social Science 108
*COM-100 Communications Theory >>  ??
*SOS-110 via TESU
*LIB-495 via TESU

None of the other courses you submitted work for the Communications Theory requirement, in part because the other courses you listed mostly do not transfer or do not transfer as something that will fulfill COM-100. So you'll want to keep looking for a course that might fulfill Communication Theory. I don't believe there is anything via StraighterLine, Saylor, or Study.com, so keep searching and send me what you find, for review."

I appreciate your help!
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...candidates
This might work for you: https://www.umgc.edu/academic-programs/c...se=comm300

(11-15-2019, 12:20 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...candidates
This might work for you: https://www.umgc.edu/academic-programs/c...se=comm300

Great! Thanks! I'll ask the advisor to have the STudy.com Interpersonal Comm course approved by the dean. Fingers crossed!
TESU doesn't accept Shmoop anymore, so disregard anything you see on that thread about them
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

It might be easier just to take it at Tesu but if that's the case you should try to get 16 credits so you dont have to pay the 2800 fee.
it's 100% easier to take it at TESU and that's what people ought to do, but everyone here is obsessed with "testing out" of degrees. Just take the final 2 courses at TESU. it's not going to kill you

or with the capstone and Comm Theory and Mass Comm 2, that's 9 credits, like you just said throw on some Teceps or something and get the residency taken care of
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

(11-15-2019, 02:23 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: it's 100% easier to take it at TESU and that's what people ought to do, but everyone here is obsessed with "testing out" of degrees. Just take the final 2 courses at TESU. it's not going to kill you

or with the capstone and Comm Theory and Mass Comm 2, that's 9 credits, like you just said throw on some Teceps or something and get the residency taken care of
TECEPs don't count for residency
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
figures

well either way, if you need 3 TESU classes for this degree, I would find a couple more

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • mysonx3
If you have tuition assistance or reimbursement, I would just recommend taking the three courses - Capstone, Cornerstone, Comm-100 and forking out the Residency Waiver out of pocket. It's a cheap/easy/fast degree as it is already.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-15-2019, 03:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you have tuition assistance or reimbursement, I would just recommend taking the three courses - Capstone, Cornerstone, Comm-100 and forking out the Residency Waiver out of pocket.  It's a cheap/easy/fast degree as it is already.
If they dont have tuition assistance or reimbursement then doing 16 credits  at tesu may be cheaper than 9 credits plus the waiver fee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • mysonx3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 16 717 55 minutes ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 270 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,159 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch