Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certificate at TESU
(02-12-2019, 07:36 PM)natshar Wrote: Ah I understand now. Well I guess it makes sense to just finish the BSBA then.

Also, there are is the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity DSST which comes into TESU as CIS-344 Computer Security. I think that would count as UL tech studies.

There are a lot of CS/IT tests/courses that will come in as UL in the tech studies program, but the OP's husband isn't interested in CS/IT.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-12-2019, 06:30 PM)scout2family Wrote: Was curious how the Certificates are viewed-- is it like saying you have a 'minor' in (insert Cert name here)?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to utilize my time, having everything done for the BSBA GM, except for the Capstone, and still have time on the clock before graduating in Sept. I've got all of this momentum and no more classes to complete for the BSBA. I don't do well at idle. LOL

ALSO-- hubby has TONS of ACE credit that TESU suggested he change his BSBA plan to BS Tech Studies-- but none are UL and he's got no real interest in Com Sci to complete the UL's. Can he then potentially just use those courses to get an Associates and/or Cert-- on top of graduating this Sept with his BSBA?

As always--- thank you!

It really depends on the degree and the extra cert - like if you get a BA in Psych and a Cert in HRM, where they kind of fit, it MAY be seen as a positive.  If it's just random - a BA in History with a cert in Criminal Justice for instance, I would probably not look at it favorably (not unfavorably either), but it just wouldn't make a difference to me.  In my opinion, if I were you, I'd think about getting a second concentration under your BSBA, or even 2 of them (Marketing, Accounting, HRM/OM, CIS, Entrepreneurship, Healthcare Management can all be gotten inexpensively), and/or you can get a cert in Psych.  Also, the Cert in Accounting is easier to get than the Concentration, so you could actually get that on top of 2 concentrations in the BSBA, and get that Psych cert as well!!

The BS in TS is hard to get if you don't want computers, and don't already have UL credit in the AOS.  Those are just hard courses to get. I would stick with the BSBA, or even switch to a BALS, whichever one he likes best.  But there is no cert to add to either the BALS or BSBA for Tech Studies - it just doesn't exist (and the AS in Tech Studies requires another Capstone, so totally not worth it in my opinion).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-12-2019, 07:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 06:30 PM)scout2family Wrote: Was curious how the Certificates are viewed-- is it like saying you have a 'minor' in (insert Cert name here)?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to utilize my time, having everything done for the BSBA GM, except for the Capstone, and still have time on the clock before graduating in Sept. I've got all of this momentum and no more classes to complete for the BSBA. I don't do well at idle. LOL

ALSO-- hubby has TONS of ACE credit that TESU suggested he change his BSBA plan to BS Tech Studies-- but none are UL and he's got no real interest in Com Sci to complete the UL's. Can he then potentially just use those courses to get an Associates and/or Cert-- on top of graduating this Sept with his BSBA?

As always--- thank you!

It really depends on the degree and the extra cert - like if you get a BA in Psych and a Cert in HRM, where they kind of fit, it MAY be seen as a positive.  If it's just random - a BA in History with a cert in Criminal Justice for instance, I would probably not look at it favorably (not unfavorably either), but it just wouldn't make a difference to me.  In my opinion, if I were you, I'd think about getting a second concentration under your BSBA, or even 2 of them (Marketing, Accounting, HRM/OM, CIS, Entrepreneurship, Healthcare Management can all be gotten inexpensively), and/or you can get a cert in Psych.  Also, the Cert in Accounting is easier to get than the Concentration, so you could actually get that on top of 2 concentrations in the BSBA, and get that Psych cert as well!!

The BS in TS is hard to get if you don't want computers, and don't already have UL credit in the AOS.  Those are just hard courses to get. I would stick with the BSBA, or even switch to a BALS, whichever one he likes best.  But there is no cert to add to either the BALS or BSBA for Tech Studies - it just doesn't exist (and the AS in Tech Studies requires another Capstone, so totally not worth it in my opinion).

What do you mean by the bolded statement? 

I think the value of adding a certificate on top of a degree can also depend on the types of jobs you're applying to. I'll use your BA in History with a cert in CJ as an example. Let's say that a child protective services agency doesn't require a specific major, but they prefer a degree in CJ, psychology, sociology, social work, or counseling. If you're a career-changer with a BA in History, then a cert in CJ could make you more attractive. Oddly enough, the combination of history and CJ would be attractive for park ranger positions.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(02-12-2019, 08:07 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 07:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The BS in TS is hard to get if you don't want computers, and don't already have UL credit in the AOS.  Those are just hard courses to get. I would stick with the BSBA, or even switch to a BALS, whichever one he likes best.  But there is no cert to add to either the BALS or BSBA for Tech Studies - it just doesn't exist (and the AS in Tech Studies requires another Capstone, so totally not worth it in my opinion).

There is no Tech Studies Cert - the only options are a BS or AS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-12-2019, 08:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 08:07 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 07:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The BS in TS is hard to get if you don't want computers, and don't already have UL credit in the AOS.  Those are just hard courses to get. I would stick with the BSBA, or even switch to a BALS, whichever one he likes best.  But there is no cert to add to either the BALS or BSBA for Tech Studies - it just doesn't exist (and the AS in Tech Studies requires another Capstone, so totally not worth it in my opinion).

There is no Tech Studies Cert - the only options are a BS or AS.

I was just wondering because you can complete any certificate in addition to any degree program. It does make sense to add business-related certificates to the BSBA. There are also liberal arts certificates that can be paired with the BALS. But, if you wanted to get a certificate in accounting in addition to a BALS, you could.

Here's a full list of undergraduate certificates. There's one in electronics, and one might be able to use some ACE-approved Penn Foster courses. Onlinedegree.com offers a robotics course that can possibly be used as an elective.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/undergrad-certificates
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Penn Foster let the ACE approvals for all their electronics and engineering technology courses expire.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(02-12-2019, 07:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It really depends on the degree and the extra cert - like if you get a BA in Psych and a Cert in HRM, where they kind of fit, it MAY be seen as a positive.  If it's just random - a BA in History with a cert in Criminal Justice for instance, I would probably not look at it favorably (not unfavorably either), but it just wouldn't make a difference to me.  In my opinion, if I were you, I'd think about getting a second concentration under your BSBA, or even 2 of them (Marketing, Accounting, HRM/OM, CIS, Entrepreneurship, Healthcare Management can all be gotten inexpensively), and/or you can get a cert in Psych.  Also, the Cert in Accounting is easier to get than the Concentration, so you could actually get that on top of 2 concentrations in the BSBA, and get that Psych cert as well!!

Now you've got my brain going-- for a second concentration and cert!? I suppose the sky's the limit-- or my wallet in this case. 

And for DH-- I understand what you're saying. The motivation to cover both Management AND Automotive-- is that he is doing BOTH in his job. He's in the Automotive industry, yet he is in Management. So, would be nice to have both areas covered-- even if the Automotive was an Associates degree.
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
It may be better to get an industry certification. If there are any which allow self-study in the fields he already knows.

I think some professional development courses may also be better than a certificate which is less-relevant to the job.

(02-12-2019, 10:26 PM)Ideas Wrote: It may be better to get an industry certification. If there are any which allow self-study in the fields he already knows.

I think some professional development courses may also be better than a certificate which is less-relevant to the job.

He has several industry-specific certs and training.  Wink

You'd think this would be sufficient to keep moving up-- it's not this case with this company. They wouldn't care if the bachelors was in Underwater Basketweaving, as long as it checks the box so you can continue on the path. My thinking is that he can do even better by having a second degree and/or cert-- that is relevant to the industry he's in.

(02-12-2019, 07:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: scout2family, I have questions for you... there are so many options to go about this, it all boils down to energy/money/time...
1) Did TESU indicate that the "What if" evaluation was incorrect and the Tech Studies courses he has transferred are all lower level? No-- it wasn't until he added the 2nd Bachelors that he saw the course placement was different.
2) Since it's 4 UL and a capstone course away from a BS Tech Studies, he may want both degrees, if your hubby get tuition reimbursement! no reimbursement.. but still worth it IMO. 
3) Does your hubby already have either Chem I & II with lab or Physics I & II with lab? The BS Tech degree requires science labs. he is in the middle of Chem Lab I (SL) and finished Chem I (SL). He'll continue on with Chem II & Lab since I've read Physics I & Lab won't fill the requirement. 
4) The 4 UL courses actually are Computer Info System courses that can be used in the BSBA CIS degree as well, it's not purely Comp Sci. I did not realize there was a difference between CIS and Comp Sci-- let me dive into this tonight and research. Thank you!
So, instead of going for a BSBA GM/CIS, he can go for a BSBA GM plus a BS Tech Studies degree and use the comprehensive tuition for taking missing classes at TESU Since I haven't looked into the CIS program yet (I will tonight when I get ALONE time), do we have alternative education sources instead of having to take them thru TESU?
 Thank you! See above in blue. Smile 
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 722 5 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 240 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 270 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,159 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy