Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overwhelmed Newbie! Where to start?
(01-07-2019, 12:26 PM)CiggyTardust Wrote: ... And would you say I should sign up for ACE and begin banking credits right away or can that wait?

In general, the answer to everything is "Yes." Apply to TESU and send in those transcripts. Get to earning those credits. If you're going to use a lot of CLEP/DSST, those don't rely on ACE, but almost everything else does. However, you don't need to sign up for ACE until you've finished your first ACE evaluated course.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
CiggyTardust Wrote:Thank you!  I've pored over your resources and it's all been super helpful.  Are all the free resources listed here up-to-date and applicable to BALS at TESU?  I am leaning toward the Liberal Arts degree right now.  

Also, what would you say the main differences are between CLEP testing vs. online testing?  I live close to several testing centers so it wouldn't be an issue getting to them.  Ideally I want to test out of as much as possible (as testing is my strength) and avoid coursework through all this.

And would you say I should sign up for ACE and begin banking credits right away or can that wait?

Yes, the FREE courses are perfect for the BALS. I would not wait to bank them, do one course, bank it and repeat. This is for record keeping purposes and in case the provider goes under or disappears, your credits won't go with them.

In regards to testing center vs online testing, you should decide for yourself. It's a mix of cheap/easy/fast and value. Please read my signature post #16, #27/28. I did the online testing option for slightly more cost, but it was much much easier/faster as I live 1.5 hours away from a test center and if I worked for that time frame, it would have paid for the online course...

I did StraighterLine for the bulk of my credits (LL, Lower Level) and Study.com for my (UL, Upper Level). CLEPS are all lower level, it may be FREE but you need to spend time reviewing/studying and the exam is a pass/fail. SL/Study.com, the exam is only a portion of the grade, the quizzes/exams and assignments make up a larger portion which means, easier pass.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-07-2019, 06:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I did StraighterLine for the bulk of my credits (LL, Lower Level) and Study.com for my (UL, Upper Level).  CLEPS are all lower level, it may be FREE but you need to spend time reviewing/studying and the exam is a pass/fail.  SL/Study.com, the exam is only a portion of the grade, the quizzes/exams and assignments make up a larger portion which means, easier pass.

Are you saying that one can only CLEP out of lower level classes?  I was under the impression you could CLEP out of most, if not all, of the courses required?

Also, is there an active link for the BALS spreadsheet?  I've looked around but the links I've seen are either for 2016 or don't work.  Thanks for all your help!  I'm excited to move forward.
(01-08-2019, 09:19 AM)CiggyTardust Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 06:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I did StraighterLine for the bulk of my credits (LL, Lower Level) and Study.com for my (UL, Upper Level).  CLEPS are all lower level, it may be FREE but you need to spend time reviewing/studying and the exam is a pass/fail.  SL/Study.com, the exam is only a portion of the grade, the quizzes/exams and assignments make up a larger portion which means, easier pass.

Are you saying that one can only CLEP out of lower level classes?  I was under the impression you could CLEP out of most, if not all, of the courses required?

Also, is there an active link for the BALS spreadsheet?  I've looked around but the links I've seen are either for 2016 or don't work.  Thanks for all your help!  I'm excited to move forward.
You cannot CLEP out of upper level classes, not because of some rule that says so but because there are no upper level CLEP tests. You can still test out of upper level classes thought, using other credit-by-exam programs (e.g. DSST, TECEP, UExcel), or you can do them through something like Study.com.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-08-2019, 10:56 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: You cannot CLEP out of lower level classes

Typo?
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Fixed, thanks for the heads up
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • quigongene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here; intrigued, slightly confused and overwhelmed jobojoe285 22 933 Today, 12:38 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 753 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 607 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  New to this, where to start? saskgui 9 1,486 08-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information I need an online, RA, 3 sem unit, CHEAP course with an OPEN start date. vanglorious 12 2,383 05-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Another Newbie Question Hawaii5oh 4 1,094 01-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Typically newbie: Heres my transcript! What should I do? zebra cow 30 3,563 12-13-2019, 11:44 PM
Last Post: zebra cow
  WHERE TO START FROM Bahadar 3 1,528 10-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  BALS/BSLS Plan Help for a Newbie? HMohamed12 9 1,918 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Tlm
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,763 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa