Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What courses should I take to learn the Data skills/tools I need?
I know we have some Data people here, so I am hoping I can get right to the nitty gritty.   I don’t necessarily need a “degree” nor a certification.  But for my job, I think I could refine some of my processes if I could learn these things.   It could be a simple YouTube video.   I have looked for some of this myself, but I am not sure I am finding the right things…..
  • Excel - Best utilization for “Queries & Connections”.  How can I update data between various spreadsheets without having to merge through Ablebits.
  • Excel - Pivot Tables.   I don’t know a dang thing about Pivot tables and if/how to use them.
  • Excel or Sheets - How can we have a bunch of separate sheets (that are accessed by specific departments/staff) and those sheets merge in to one giant main sheet and Vice Versa?  Is that even possible?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I would suggest that IBM's Data Analysis and Visualization Foundations Specialization probably has most/all of what you need, but it's not included with Coursera Plus. So I don't know if you want to spend money on that. The Google one looks like it focuses on Python and SQL, not spreadsheets.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Vle045
I will take a look at that. Maybe it’s part of the American Dream Academy options.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

I would be lying if I said I was an Excel guru. I typically use data that comes from Excel and read it into R Studio to do my data manipulation and analysis.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(06-14-2022, 10:39 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I know we have some Data people here, so I am hoping I can get right to the nitty gritty.   I don’t necessarily need a “degree” nor a certification.  But for my job, I think I could refine some of my processes if I could learn these things.   It could be a simple YouTube video.   I have looked for some of this myself, but I am not sure I am finding the right things…..
  • Excel - Best utilization for “Queries & Connections”.  How can I update data between various spreadsheets without having to merge through Ablebits.
  • Excel - Pivot Tables.   I don’t know a dang thing about Pivot tables and if/how to use them.
  • Excel or Sheets - How can we have a bunch of separate sheets (that are accessed by specific departments/staff) and those sheets merge in to one giant main sheet and Vice Versa?  Is that even possible?

For points 1&3, that is easy to do using VBA code.  You don't even need a course for that.  Just google or youtube it or post your question on stackoverflow.com and someone will give you the VBA code you can just cut and paste.   Unfortunately, a lot of this you cannot learn through a standard course, as sometimes what you want to do is very specific and requires a specific script that isn't well known. 

For point 2, think of pivot tables having 3 components: the filter, the metric (or variable) and the slicer.  The filter will allow you to remove or include only some items that fit that criteria.  The metric is what you are looking at - for example, income, sales, headcount, etc.  The slicer is something you use to slice the metric - you can do it by year, location, etc.   As long as you understand those 3 concepts and where to put them in the pivot, it should be straightforward.  However, if you are working on the database the pivot is based on, you need more advanced excel stuff and basics on relational databases such as primary keys, etc.  

Pivot tables are important because they are the first step for many moving towards big data analysis.  Once you understand filters, slicers and relational databases, you can scale the same process over millions of rows and records.  Excel is limited to in terms of rows/columns, and that's where big data comes in - tools like SAS, R, etc actually do a lot of the same things you would do with Excel, except you can go beyond Excel's data size limitations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • Vle045
Here are two from Coursera that may interest you (and they are included as part of the plus)

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/excel-mysql
Excel to MySQL: Analytic Techniques for Business

Excel Skills for Business
https://www.coursera.org/specializations/excel
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Vle045
You don't need the degree for sure, but it would be nice to have some extra certification, especially if it's very affordable. The main reason for that is to have yourself follow a guideline/timeline and be accountable to completing the certification on a schedule. If you're doing this using a DIY YouTube video, you may skip or wander off pace and will take longer to get back on track to "learning"...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vle045
Thank you everyone. I took a look at pivot tables and found the slicer. Pretty sweet. I track a lot of data for about 1500 students - and a lot of it changes daily. Some of the terms you have mentioned (SAS, R, VBA code) are all things I have seen in course descriptions but had no idea what they meant. (So it was hard to figure out what covered what I wanted to learn)

And I think you have a point Bjcheung77. That’s probably why I can get about halfway there with some things. I usually can get to a point where I have what I need but maybe not the *most* efficient way.
I am setting up formulas to do all the things that a pivot table could be doing for me.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Tableau, R, Python, SQL, and stats courses. Those who are heavily on the stats side might need to know SAS, STATA, or SPSS. When I worked in data for the government, my agency was kind of primitive, so we used Excel for analysis and SAP BusinessObjects for visualization.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,109 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,809 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 743 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 789 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 606 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 692 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 306 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 592 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 461 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn